Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Decking' based on pallets

Options
  • 19-03-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have 9 Euro pallets that I intend to use as a base for a 'decking' of sort, just need a bit of space for the garden chairs and a table. Also have a gazebo that I want to put up on it.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

I want to cover it with some marine ply, was thinking 6mm thick? Will that do?

I know it's not a very long lasting solution but I don't really mind as we're only renting there so not interested in anything permanent. I will remove it before moving out so it can't be a solid structure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Plywood is very slippery when its wet , decking boards would probably be no more expensive than genuine marine plywood which would need to be 10 mm I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Plywood is very slippery when its wet , decking boards would probably be no more expensive than genuine marine plywood which would need to be 10 mm I would think

decking boards are slippy when its wet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Wouldn't have decking anywhere near my gaff death trap in wet weather. But a cheap and cheerful solution since it's only temporary and going to be ripped up is buy a few lengths of 7x1 treated rough timber to screw down to the pallets with 5x50 pozi spax screws. It'll leave it solid and the rough timber might give some grip. Won't cost the earth 7x1 treated @ 8/9€ 4.8m length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Wouldn't have decking anywhere near my gaff death trap in wet weather. But a cheap and cheerful solution since it's only temporary and going to be ripped up is buy a few lengths of 7x1 treated rough timber to screw down to the pallets with 5x50 pozi spax screws. It'll leave it solid and the rough timber might give some grip. Won't cost the earth 7x1 treated @ 8/9€ 4.8m length.

Agree. Any pressure treated timber should work. I'd spring for stainless steel screws however to avoid rusting screwheads in a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Agree with other posters, decking in Ireland is very treacherous to walk on and alot of people are actually taking their deckings out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement