Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of this

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

slpower01 wrote: »
    Would a new motor be out of the question?? as you didnt have to pay for the machine itself... buying a new durable motor might give it a better kick?? just an idea.

It's more about the challenge of bring an old machine back to life for me "and the lack of funds":D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

True ... might as well try to fix it if its possible :)... im looking forward to seeing the finished project!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Fergal, that looks like an induction motor to me so no need ( in fact impossible ) to re- wire. !
    A good clean out, new bearings and lubrication should do it. ? Nice project. I don't think you can thickness with that planer ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I didn't mean the armature :eek: :D just the internal connecting wires that are a bit brittle.I was surprised to see the motor was made in Ireland I'm not sure if it was replaced or if the kits were sent out without motors.

20130109_111250.jpg

The thicknesser part looks like this and fits on the planer, the chap is still looking for it in his shed :) This one was on Adverts. http://www.adverts.ie/machinery-tools/inca-thicknesser/2090972
    1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336b28b8ce122c9c0083a68f401409c3253.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

My dad has the same saw though without the thicknesser. Has the original belt too. Though its looking a bit long in the tooth. So is the saw...lol
    Hes had it about 40 years!

• Advertisement

Sanded down the table and put a new bit of marine ply on top. Now to give it a coat of epoxy and a few of varnish, it's too bloody cold outside so I had to sneak it into the shower :D

20130118_110441.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Looks great Fergal, the table frame looks very light in colour, cleaned up really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭deandean

My old man has one of those, Inca saw + planer without the mortiser, he bought it about 35 years ago and it's still running great. It has cut a lot of wood in 35 years.

The only gripe he has, is that the table tilts and not the blade, so it's a bit of an exercise doing angled cuts.

It's all-alloy IIRC so it's fairly lightweight, you could make the table mobile so it can be wheeled around.

Well she''s back in business :D

20130128_184339.jpg

20130128_183817.jpg

20130128_184127.jpg

20130128_161153.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Excellent work, you've clearly got a knack for restoring battered old machinery!

• Advertisement

How much are you going to sell it for :P... such a difference ha, so jealous!
    Whats it like to use??

slpower01 wrote: »
    How much are you going to sell it for :P... such a difference ha, so jealous!
    Whats it like to use??

Make me an offer i can't refuse :D I'm not sure what to do with yet,it will be left outside under a cover for the moment. There are a few more bits and pieces to do on it and I want to change the switch to a proper on / off switch.
    I will have to wait till the weather picks up to give her a good go,I have never used a mortiser before so that should be fun :)

Grab some rough 2x4 plane it down and make a mortice and tenon door as a small project :).. I would love something like this but the only thing im missing is the planer/thicknesser (next purchase)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Great job and I love the authentic colour scheme. !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Great job, you turned that one around pretty quickly, well done!

holy S***, thats a great bloody job. How did you get the main body looking so new? My old man of 92 has one . The pulley came off but he managed to sort it. The belt looks as though it could be changed for a new one. Any ideas.?

You did a great job though. My wife would have my skin if she saw my projects in the house ...lol

Are you going to sell it?

Sorry if these questions were asked?

Rich

Thanks Rich:D

1) lots of sanding

2) I got the belts in Halfords I think the small one was a 1300 and the bigger one a 1500 if your not sure just bring the old one to any motor factors.

3) She can still smell the varnish and probably will for the rest of my life :D

4) Every thing is for sale :D I might just use it to finish off the boat I'm building at the moment then sell it on or I might build another boat :)

Sounds good.

I build the model boats. Well, I did for about 20 years but haven't build one in 2 years now. I prefer the furniture. I always liked the idea of building a full size speed boat though. I would if I lived near water, but unfortunately I don't.
    I guess I should, it would be like a piece of furniture that could run on water..lol:p
    Thanks for the tip on the belt. He'd be thrilled to get a new one I'd say.

Your boat must be nearly finished. I saw the photos, last summer was it? It looked done...

Cheers

R

The boat is covered over till the weather picks up a bit so not much work done I'm just collecting bits and pieces for the next stage.
    I still use my other bit of furniture :D all over Ireland so not living beside the water won't be a problem if you do want to build one :D

294438_3985400871674_1744483476_n.jpg

It looks fantastic I have to say, fair play, as Ronan would say...lol;)

O love the whole style too, nice to see the real wood on a boat. I love the old ketches and sailing yachts of time gone by. They look very
    classy I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Picked up a similar machine this morning its a Kity K5, has a planer/thicknesser,table saw,spindle moulder and sanding disk, seems in good repair just needs a bit of a clean up,didn't get a chance to read threw all this thread yet but if i got mine in half the condition fergal's turned out i would be happy,fair play to you its like new.

Best of luck with it :D There is a guy on the site that Double barrel put me in touch with and he has a pdf manual for that machine might be worth joining up. http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/kity-k5-combi-machine-t39365.html

Advertisement