Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi, can you tell me if this wood is plywood or not?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

I know it's impossible to tell without touching it, but can you hazard a guess from these photos? I'm trying to sell the chess board and don't know what type of wood it is. You don't have to tell me what type of wood it is, just tell me if you think it's plywood or not! Particularly the pieces. They do have a grain, but they are pretty light. Thanks.

IMG_6441Copy.jpg

IMG_6439Copy.jpg

IMG_6436Copy.jpg

IMG_6435Copy.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The main panels in the box do seem to be plywood. The edge of a sheet of plywood looks like this: http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture97/hslplywood/product2_print.html the frame of the box is likely to be the same timber as the pieces.

The pieces are not plywood - it would easily break up in the machining process making them. I'm not sure if the timber could be readily determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Moved from Arts and Crafts to Woodcraft as I think these folks should be able to help you find the information you are looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Its hard to tell, but the stained 'black' pieces look a bit like some kind of oak to me as the stain has left what look like medullary rays (a sure sign of oak) visible. For the 'white' pieces it's not so obvious from those photos. On the other hand oak is quite a dense wood and you say they are very light in weight, so that would argue against that theory.

The back of the board, i.e. the inside of the box, might be plywood, but it's difficult to say.

I'd also say it has the look and feel of something that's possibly originated in the far east somewhere, so in that case, it could be anything really.

Not much help really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Victor wrote: »
    The main panels in the box do seem to be plywood. The edge of a sheet of plywood looks like this: http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture97/hslplywood/product2_print.html the frame of the box is likely to be the same timber as the pieces.

The pieces are not plywood - it would easily break up in the machining process making them. I'm not sure if the timber could be readily determined.

Thanks. Would it help if I told you the whole thing including pieces weighed a kilo? And the pieces are about 1.5 inches tall.

And could anyone put a rough value on this? What would you pay for this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

the white pieces look very much like Lime

OP where did you get it from ????
    it might be easier to determine the timber if the origins were known

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

An educated guess tells me board is birch ply

The frame around the board is definitely solid wood as are the pieces (these would be impossible to make from sheet material with a grain showing)

I really don't have a clue where it's from. Found it in my grannies attic, and she's dead now! :O

By the way I don't know anybody in real life who could value this or tell what type of wood it is so you're my only hope. So how much would you pay for it? 20euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

€20 is probably generous TBH

surely there's more sentimental value to it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I wouldn't say it was very valuable. The carving isn't of a particularly high quality, hence my suggestion that it might be some kind of far-east import.

There's a chess forum here which might be worth a try if you're looking to sell it.

€20 is probably generous TBH

surely there's more sentimental value to it

But whoever's buying it doesn't give a hoot! And it has no sentimental value as my granny probably didn't even know it was up there covered in dust. If it was something she cherished then I would treat it differently. Right now I feel the same feelings as I would if I was selling her laundry basket!

Thanks for the forum suggestion Alun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement