Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Quiet Place 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Loved this. Saw Cruella the week before but THIS is what returning to the cinema is all about.

Incredibly tense throughout, especially a 20-min sequence in the middle that is Krasinski showing off :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Saw this over the weekend. Really enjoyed it.

I'd probably say the first one is a better movie, but the second one is better made (if that makes sense). I loved how Krasinski had multiple storylines ongoing at the same time where the tension in each builds up simultaneously as you go back and forth between them.

That opening scene was fantastic. He's done a video on youtube talking through it. I'm a sucker for a continuous shot and was surprised I never copped onto the fact he took inspiration from the car scene in Children of Men. Also lol at the fact the close up of Emily Blunt was a happy accident. :pac:
    that ****ing bear trap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Where are people seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I am seeing in a few hours odeon in the point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

It opened in the UK last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just home from Odeon in the point.
    I would say maybe 20 in the big screen all well spaced out etc.

Solid film not quite as good as the first.
    The
    day 1 part is terrific and really well done, Murphy is also very good it helps that with him you are never sure if he is going to be a good or bad! The thing with the alien getting to the island on boat was kind of obvious as was a lot of plot tbh. It wasn't said but I am guessing the people on boats were cannibals?
    Some terrific set pieces and scares but story felt a bit predictable. Very much worth seeing on a big screen, with as few people munching popcorn as possible :)

7/10

Pretty pointless film, standard cash grab sequel. Just a bit louder and more hiding.

3/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭santana75

An absolute belter. I don't know if it's down to the lack of anything decent these past 18 months but I just thought this was great. Doesn't mess around, gets stuck In straight away and keeps that pace all the way to the finish. Even though Emily blunt is very good, as are the two kids, its Cillian Murphy who steals the film. I'm hoping there's a third one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Saw this in the cinema last night and I enjoyed it a lot. It's really well made with incredible sound design and great tension throughout.

There are some problems with the plot though. It's reasonable obvious what's going to happen and I can't get my head around an obvious plot hole/issue -
    Why did the people on the Island just play 'Beyond The Sea' on a continuous loop if they wanted others to come to the Island. Why not actually have someone speaking and telling others where they are and how to get there. Also why not broadcast to others that the creatures can't swim? That would be slightly more helpful than playing a song on a repeat as some kind of cryptic clue.
    If you can ignore the above then it's a good film!

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Saw this in the cinema last night and I enjoyed it a lot. It's really well made with incredible sound design and great tension throughout.

There are some problems with the plot though. It's reasonable obvious what's going to happen and I can't get my head around an obvious plot hole/issue -
    Why did the people on the Island just play 'Beyond The Sea' on a continuous loop if they wanted others to come to the Island. Why not actually have someone speaking and telling others where they are and how to get there. Also why not broadcast to others that the creatures can't swim? That would be slightly more helpful than playing a song on a repeat as some kind of cryptic clue.

That stuff really irritated me. Like the first one, why didn't they just go and live by the waterfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That stuff really irritated me. Like the first one, why didn't they just go and live by the waterfall.

Why not just sit back and enjoy a movie about man versus unknown creatures.
    It's a monster movie for god's sake. It's not like a trails away from a facts of a so-called true story. How does it irritate you that something what you deem unrealistic happens in the film. That's a little sad. Surely you comprehend that the creatures are make believe.

In any case, the waterfall idea makes no sense. How would they just move their house beside the waterfall. They cannot just decide that "hey let's build a house over here, and whilst doing so, don't make any loud noises" - no hammering, no sawing etc. They cannot just stand around a waterfall all day - weather, no electricity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TaSeThat

It was certainly a bug bear for me. When a movie is called A Quiet Place, when its premise is about being quiet, when a large plot is making sound proofing for a birth and all the follow on from that, when it introduces a place where they can make noise...well yeah it's a bit of a plot issue when they don't move to the location where they can make noise.

Not being able to build a habitable area in/around the waterfall...are you seriously suggesting that it can't be done?

I'd give a movie a chance but there were too many key plot issues for this movie to fully enjoy it. It was entertaining but for me anyway, no where near as good as it is given credit for...but that's personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

TaSeThat wrote: »
    Not being able to build a habitable area in/around the waterfall...are you seriously suggesting that it can't be done?

This cracks me up. Even when it has already been explained to you that the "why don;t they live by a waterfall' argument is stupid, instead of admitting it was silly you double down on it.

How do you build a place to live near a waterfall at the drop of a hat? Without making noise?

You'd have to dig foundations, gather materials, hammer nails, mix cement, install electrics etc...

It wouldn't work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Plus how would you get the materials to build the waterfall house, without first leaving the safety of those noisy environs? Unless some previous person generously left all the wood and materials first needed. While an electric generator in the vicinity of constantly running water also seems ... unwise.

Have I seriously to explain how it would be possible to build/construct/find a habitable space in or around a waterfall.

An abundance of fallen usable materials available in the forest. Go explore other derelict buildings for useful materials or harvest from where they current live.
    Any noise work can be done.....have a guess where.

Early man built a shelter without any of the tools/materials available today so I'd hazard a guess that someone can construct some kind of livable quarters. There may have even been caves that could be lived in around the waterfall.

For some reason they could adapt their living to the quiet of the wood, but could not adapt their living to a noisy waterfall which also provides running water, irrigation, food, etc.

Am I seriously the only person that sees the flaw with this in the film...if so fair enough it's probably just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Have I seriously to explain how it would be possible to build/construct/find a habitable space in or around a waterfall.

An abundance of fallen usable materials available in the forest. Go explore other derelict buildings for useful materials or harvest from where they current live.

Early man built a shelter without any of the tools/materials available today so I'd hazard a guess that someone can construct some kind of livable quarters. There may have even been caves that could be lived in around the waterfall.

For some reason they could adapt their living to the quiet of the wood, but could not adapt their living to a noisy waterfall which also provides running water, irrigation, food, etc.

Am I seriously the only person that sees the flaw with this in the film...if so fair enough it's probably just me.

Construct? Try whipping out the black & decker in this world.

I understand the premise of what you're getting at. But when you dig into it, it just doesn't make sense. Maybe they could make a temporary shelter there, but not somewhere they can live on a full time basis. For one obvious reason, there is no electricity, therefore no heating and no cooking food. Remember there are kids as well, so cannot just rough it up for months on end.

You say there may be caves. But that is just an assumption that you are creating. Equally, there may not be caves. We didn't see any caves in the movie, therefore as an audience, we take that as face value.

Just on the piece in bold above, how did they adapt their living to the quiet of the wood. The answer is they had no choice. The house was already there. So that's where they had to live. They couldn't just move the house close to the waterfall. The sound of the waterfall allowed the humans to communicate with each other without drawing the attention of the creatures. But it doesn't mean that the waterfall noise would just drown out everything. If there was banging hammers, drills, saws etc. to construct a dwelling for them, surely you can understand the folly of this argument.

And early man did manage to put together a hammer device made from stone - or maybe I watched too much Fred Flintsone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I enjoyed it, great to see in the cinema having been away for so long. EB is great and Cillian too.
    I thought it ended a bit abruptly, and you don't know what happened with Emily and the baby and the other kid. Maybe that's for AQP3?

I understand the premise of what you're getting at. But when you dig into it, it just doesn't make sense. Maybe they could make a temporary shelter there, but not somewhere they can live on a full time basis. For one obvious reason, there is no electricity, therefore no heating and no cooking food. Remember there are kids as well, so cannot just rough it up for months on end.

You say there may be caves. But that is just an assumption that you are creating. Equally, there may not be caves. We didn't see any caves in the movie, therefore as an audience, we take that as face value.

Just on the piece in bold above, how did they adapt their living to the quiet of the wood. The answer is they had no choice. The house was already there. So that's where they had to live. They couldn't just move the house close to the waterfall. The sound of the waterfall allowed the humans to communicate with each other without drawing the attention of the creatures. But it doesn't mean that the waterfall noise would just drown out everything. If there was banging hammers, drills, saws etc. to construct a dwelling for them, surely you can understand the folly of this argument.

And early man did manage to put together a hammer device made from stone - or maybe I watched too much Fred Flintsone!!!

Appreciate the response but still can't see why it's a non runner.

Yes, there may or may not be caves but that is not the only viable option for a dwelling. They don't have to move any house, build a new one. Point taken on noise and at what level it would "summon" the aliens so it may not drown out all noise (banging, sawing, etc), but that would certainly not stop constructing a dwelling as there are always alternatives for doing something - at the top of my head rope, glue, air pressure tools provided using power (see following paragraph) .
    The waterfall and river would also provide power (hydro, tidal) and transport options (raft) so any material that could not be carried by hand can be done using raft if located near a river.

I'll bow out of this conversation now as it is dragging on a bit. I appreciate the counter argument but, maybe I'm pig headed, I still can't see the logic in doing what they were doing considering:
    A huge plot is for them sound proofing with the imminent arrival of the baby, there are woods anyway beside the waterfall and they travel to the waterfall to talk...just does not make sense to me. Move the mountain to Mohammed and all that

To preempt some of the questions that may come from some of the other patronising posters:

Q: Where would they get the tools or knowledge to construct a house or indeed power using the waterfall?
    A: From excursions or supply trips to towns. Plenty of towns built on rivers so may be one directly near the waterfall one. If not just what they can carry over numerous trips by hand. If towns located on river, use a raft for transport - quieter, quicker and easier than foot. Libraries, leaflets or books for the knowledge part.

Q: How could they build a raft?
    A: Using the wood from the forest that the waterfall is beside/near.

Q: What if they are on the river and have to fart?
    A: Just put their arse under the water surface and let rip

Q: What about the bubbles that rise to the surface and pop from said fart...what about that noise, huh?
    A: You are right, that will probably get them killed.

Appreciate the response but still can't see why it's a non runner.

Yes, there may or may not be caves but that is not the only viable option for a dwelling. They don't have to move any house, build a new one. Point taken on noise and at what level it would "summon" the aliens so it may not drown out all noise (banging, sawing, etc), but that would certainly not stop constructing a dwelling as there are always alternatives for doing something - at the top of my head rope, glue, air pressure tools provided using power (see following paragraph) .
    The waterfall and river would also provide power (hydro, tidal) and transport options (raft) so any material that could not be carried by hand can be done using raft if located near a river.

I'll bow out of this conversation now as it is dragging on a bit. I appreciate the counter argument but, maybe I'm pig headed, I still can't see the logic in doing what they were doing considering:
    A huge plot is for them sound proofing with the imminent arrival of the baby, there are woods anyway beside the waterfall and they travel to the waterfall to talk...just does not make sense to me. Move the mountain to Mohammed and all that

To preempt some of the questions that may come from some of the other patronising posters:

Q: Where would they get the tools or knowledge to construct a house or indeed power using the waterfall?
    A: From excursions or supply trips to towns. Plenty of towns built on rivers so may be one directly near the waterfall one. If not just what they can carry over numerous trips by hand. If towns located on river, use a raft for transport - quieter, quicker and easier than foot. Libraries, leaflets or books for the knowledge part.

Q: How could they build a raft?
    A: Using the wood from the forest that the waterfall is beside/near.

Q: What if they are on the river and have to fart?
    A: Just put their arse under the water surface and let rip

Q: What about the bubbles that rise to the surface and pop from said fart...what about that noise, huh?
    A: You are right, that will probably get them killed.

Ok We'll leave it at that.

Glue and rope??? For a house??

• Advertisement

Ok We'll leave it at that.

Glue and rope??? For a house??

That's what you got from that?

Not the air compressor equipment powered by hydro, or the point that there are numerous other options for "quietly" constructing a dwelling?

I'm tapping out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Good god, how are some people still hung up on the waterfall shít.

Anyway, saw this last night and loved it. Didn't let up for the whole runtime and was probably the best movie you could have returned to the cinemas with. A proper big-screen type experience with a crowd. A girl in front of me almost jumped a foot off her seat with one of the scares, I've missed things like that. Nice to see the screening full (or as full as they're allowed to be) as I literally took the last available seat and all other screenings were booked out upto Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought it was very decent, if I had to complain maybe it's a bit too much "more of the same" and doesn't do anything new with the concept, but it's very solid, great performances as well.

Great to be back in the cinema too.

Why not just sit back and enjoy a movie about man versus unknown creatures.
    It's a monster movie for god's sake. It's not like a trails away from a facts of a so-called true story. How does it irritate you that something what you deem unrealistic happens in the film. That's a little sad. Surely you comprehend that the creatures are make believe.

In any case, the waterfall idea makes no sense. How would they just move their house beside the waterfall. They cannot just decide that "hey let's build a house over here, and whilst doing so, don't make any loud noises" - no hammering, no sawing etc. They cannot just stand around a waterfall all day - weather, no electricity etc.

What? Your whole tangent here makes zero sense. Do I know they are make believe? What sort of comment is that. No I thought I was watching a David Attenborough documentary. Seen one of those creatures in my back garden the other day....

It's not a monster movie btw, whatever that is. Godzilla v Kong is maybe a monster movie, more rubbish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I think at this point it's fairly obvious they are out of ideas now. Can't see how they could possibly do another sequel without it being just being a rinse and repeat.

We already know how to kill these guys. If they do go again, I fear there will be some new contrived storyline that somehow undoes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I think at this point it's fairly obvious they are out of ideas now. Can't see how they could possibly do another sequel without it being just being a rinse and repeat.

We already know how to kill these guys. If they do go again, I fear there will be some new contrived storyline that somehow undoes this.

When you look at the profits they are generating it was never in doubt there would be a third. Practically covered their budget with the opening weekend takings in the US.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a36553200/a-quiet-place-3-release-date/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not sure if any sequel has ever justified 'Part II' quite so much, at least ones that weren't planned from the outset. This really, really feels like more of the same - even like the next week's episode in a tv series. It obviously loses the novelty of being number one, but beyond that it just simply hits the general solid quality level of the first - not better, but not much worse either.

There's more imagination in the sound design than the cinematography, unsurprisingly, so it definitely benefits from a cinema surround sound system in that regard.

It feels like they sorta wasted Emily Blunt with a minor story, but the film as a whole feels small-scale and minor - not always a bad thing (it cuts to credits with barely a frame wasted), but does reinforce that 'middle bit of a TV series' impression.

There was one thing I couldn't shake, though: this is really, really like The Last of Us (which itself recently boasted a 'Part II'). The first was too, but this was almost a clone at times. The opening section straight-up steals some of the ideas from the opening of that game - itself not a particularly original work in some regards (think Children of Men's car scene), but the setting and characters here are eerily similar. See the sequence that starts at around 6:45 in the video below, where we see chaos unfolding in a small town primarily through car windows.

Especially when the film starts focusing on Murphy and Simmonds' side of the story - and their journey through various overgrown urban environments and dangerous situations - it was *very" Joel and Ellie. There's obviously an adaptation of TLOU coming to HBO... but this makes me wonder whether that'll seem derivative of A Quiet Place, completing the uroboros of 'who influenced who' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Went to see this last night and it was a great movie to go back to the cinema for, it did for me what Tenet didn't do for me last time I got to return to the cinema after months away. I agree the film isn't a complete match to the first but there is no huge dip in quality that makes you wish they let it be.

I loved the opening scene, the addition of Cillian Murphy and the daughter getting to the forefront of the film. I have minor gripes but they bother me hugely. The biggest would be
    how did the creature get the boat to the island?
    A plot contrivance for sure, but wouldn't mind a teeny hint as to how that happens. It's like the Velociraptors in JP learning to open the doors times a thousand. I also worried they were going to get too into Walking Dead territory with the boat people. I hope they steer clear of going that direction with any more movies. I gave up on that show, and don't want to give up on this series if it continues.

It ends abruptly, maybe too abrupt. If it wasn't due to come out right before the pandemic I would have thought "production must have been shortened, so be it." A bit more of a character arc for Cillian's character would have been great but I'm going to presume part 3 won't be long until confirmed and I will look forward to what they do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There was one thing I couldn't shake, though: this is really, really like The Last of Us (which itself recently boasted a 'Part II').

I thought the exact same thing while watching the film. It's incredibly similar. I tried to say it to my wife but she didn't even know the game existed :pac: I wonder if Krasinski is a fan of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kingp35 wrote: »

This part makes sense to me.
    We can see from Murphy going on about the people who survived aren't the sort of people you'd want to meet and the people at the boat dock so stands to reason you'd want to avoid broadcasting something clearly where you are due to the danger of those others. The cryptic clue at least at makes it safer as it's only someone looking to find other people and able to decipher the clue who'll find them.

Personally, I really enjoyed it, and it's a good film to see in the cinema with better sound systems, rather than at home. Would be looking forward to the further sequels here

Advertisement