Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opened infected Docx

Options
  • 04-06-2021 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hey - looking for some reassurance here..

I received an email from a work colleague to my gmail, referencing another client in the body of the email and asking to open the attachment and review.

It says Open in Docs like it should open in Google Docs, but once clicked it downloads a docx locally. I thought that was odd but was still thinking about it when I opened the file.

I did not enable editing, so macros should not have been able to run.

Checked the email again, thought it looks dodgy so I ran the file through totalvirus.com and few others and found -

Win.Trojan.Swrort-5710536-0
    CVE-2017-0199

.. so closed it and deleted the file.

My question is - am I alright because I never allowed the docx permission to run/enabled editing?

I only ask because I did open the docx, so it displayed in MS Word. That was it though.

Have run Malware Bytes Pro and Windows Defender full scans, they are not finding anything, but it its a remote access trojan they probably won't or at least certainly no guarantee.

cheers

Comments

Advertisement