Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote accessed KVM

Options
  • 09-02-2021 5:23pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some of my actual antique KVMs are dying and there's a few grand in the budget specifically to upgrade to ones that can do such wonders as USB or resolutions above 1024x768... and obviously since then, remote access is now quite normal

Always bought Adder in past years but their 'remote access' is a specific remote terminal based on their extender products; whereas I want something browser based so I can get on to it from a bounce box if I'm not in the building.

Have looked at Dell - far too expensive - and Tripp Lite - almost suspiciously cheap - but have not actually used either type at all before.

Anyone got opinions/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Can i ask is there a reason that you dont just use idrac or ilo?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Can i ask is there a reason that you dont just use idrac or ilo?

1: Money. Not sure about now but iLO with proper video control was quite dear if you wanted it to work after installation was complete. Must actually check if that's still the case.
    2: Plenty of workstation grade machines that don't have it get used for various reasons
    3: Speed - iLO4 got a bit better but not much, much slower to log in and get access.

Went for the Tripp Lite and its.... fine. It needs a HTML5 interface to be a good product; Java Web Start (not an applet) and a Windows app does the job at least. Suspiciously cheap for what it does.

Advertisement