Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy gravy "browning" liquid?

Options
  • 18-11-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Can't find it in Tesco. At least not on their online grocery search.

Before I go to Amazon, where can I get it in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sorry, no help to you, OP but your post brought back memories.

My dad had a big catering bottle of gravy browning.
    Let's say, he didn't have a subtle hand with it!
    When dad got at the browning, we'd all call the gravy chocolate sauce:eek:

OK, maybe some help.
    Make your own. It's just caramel.
    https://thatgirlcookshealthy.com/homemade-browning-sauce/

that recipe uses coconut palm sugar but I think any sugar would work fine.

This one just states brown sugar.

https://ayouniquejourney.com/homemade-browning-sauce/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

i use some dark soy sauce for mine, it adds nice depth to gravy. sure if its just brown you want, can you get some food colouring?

screamer wrote: »
    . sure if its just brown you want, can you get some food colouring?

That is, essentially, what they are looking for.

Caramel is a food colouring (used in whiskey for example), gravy browning is caramel.

While I nearly always use soy sauce in any gravy, it's not really the same thing as it add a lot of flavour and salt, too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have the Goodalls one too and I'm pretty sure I bought it in Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This could be like mixing paint!
    How to Mix Brown – The Short Answer
    The three primary colors (red, yellow, blue), when mixed, make brown.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294953351+4294954939&Ne=4294954028

Goodalls Red Colouring 25Ml

€1.29(€51.60/l)

Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Goodalls Yellow Colouring 25Ml

€1.29(€51.60/l)

Add to basket

Quantity
    Add to basket
    Goodalls Blue Colouring 25Ml

€1.29

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭phormium

I'd just go to Supervalu and buy a tube of Progel brown, be a lot better than those liquid colourings :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I jsut use the box of bisto, browns and thickens. suitable for vegans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭phormium

There is a flavour from Bisto though so if you want pure unadulterated home made gravy but just want it brown I could see why someone would want the gravy browning.

My grandmother always said Bisto was a cover up for bad cooking :) I love it myself and always use it with home made gravy/stock to thicken it as I like the flavour, she didn't use the browning either and always had this awful anaemic looking gravy which tasted fine but just looked unappetising.

I just use flour. Whisk in with the dripping on low heat. No colour needed, you'll soon have the right colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

phormium wrote: »
    There is a flavour from Bisto though so if you want pure unadulterated home made gravy but just want it brown I could see why someone would want the gravy browning.

My grandmother always said Bisto was a cover up for bad cooking :)I love it myself and always use it with home made gravy/stock to thicken it as I like the flavour, she didn't use the browning either and always had this awful anaemic looking gravy which tasted fine but just looked unappetising.

must pass that one on to the missis and the mother-in-law. I may , or may not, get back to you.:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

screamer wrote: »
    i use some dark soy sauce for mine, it adds nice depth to gravy. sure if its just brown you want, can you get some food colouring?

I do the exact same. My inlaws give out if the gravy is t dark so this is my secret trick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 chefy

Usually available in Supervalue. Soy sauce adds extra salt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I didn't think box bisto had that much going on in the flavour dept, it's mostly salt, brown and potato starch. When I make vegan gravy w/ it it needs a lot ooomph

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I bought a bottle in Dunnes a while ago. Hardly ever used it. Just thought I'd see what its about, discovered its a bit...meh really. When I'm making a beef casserole or anything that needs a nice rich brown sauce I usually add a few spoons of tomato paste and also a drizzle of Worcestershire Sauce - it does a better job than the browning and adds flavour. Knorr stock pot does the same kind of thing.

I bought a bottle in Dunnes a while ago. Hardly ever used it. Just thought I'd see what its about, discovered its a bit...meh really. When I'm making a beef casserole or anything that needs a nice rich brown sauce I usually add a few spoons of tomato paste and also a drizzle of Worcestershire Sauce - it does a better job than the browning and adds flavour. Knorr stock pot does the same kind of thing.

Well, the whole point of gravy browning is to add colour without really affecting the flavour.
    You seem to be complaining that it does its job well.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Well, the whole point of gravy browning is to add colour without really affecting the flavour.
    You seem to be complaining that it does its job well.

I don't believe I was making any complaint. I merely gave my opinion.

Advertisement