Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 32 ShlugMurphy

Odelay wrote: »
    You seem to know an awful lot. Why dont you do your own channel and share it here?

What a strange comment!

I make my money through other avenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

lab man wrote: »
    Young Phil doesn't seem to have a clue about fixing tractors

This one looks like she'd be handy to have around the place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Most of the vids are about 5 times too long... .watching 20 minutes for info that could be contained in 5 minutes

Farmer Phil seems a nice guy but his dad and uncle are far more interesting, and knowledgeable... also they come from my era

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

orm0nd wrote: »
    Most of the vids are about 5 times too long... .watching 20 minutes for info that could be contained in 5 minutes

Farmer Phil seems a nice guy but his dad and uncle are far more interesting, and knowledgeable... also they come from my era

He needs to change his intro, I can't watch him for that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

This one looks like she'd be handy to have around the place ;)

Its a good instructional video to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

How can you believe this?

I can only take him at his word. That was months ago. He probably makes a lot more these days through deals and viewers. More power to him.

A lot of the channels are just advertising now and I don't watch them much anymore. One lonely farmer was one of the few that stayed the same. Western truck and tractor repair is still the same too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

emaherx wrote: »
    Its a good instructional video to be fair.

It actually is very good. I came across it randomly one day ............ I wasn't even trying to do anything with the hydraulics on a MF 35! I just started watching it and watched it right through to the end

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭youllbemine

Agree re. the ‘cliff hanger’ video titles and thumbnails. Can be a bit over the top but I think as long as the content is there in the background then I can live with that. Farmer Phil videos are too long. A lot of talking about nothing which could be cut out and much more watchable videos around the 5-10min mark would be preferable. 29 min video to show the potatoes being dug is a prime example. Cool to see the machinery in action but could have been covered in a much more compact video....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Much more to phil than just the farming stuff though especially,his relationships with his family.good for your head too to see that evvery yard is nt perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I've started watching African channels. One in particular is Farm Up, it's interesting seeing a small scale farm being set up from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

K.G. wrote: »
    Much more to phil than just the farming stuff though especially,his relationships with his family.good for your head too to see that evvery yard is nt perfect.

Absolutely, I think he's a great young lad. Yeah his videos are long but I throw it on the telly when I'm having lunch. Its the interaction and craic with the family that makes it, I'm not looking for a how-to-tag cattle video. Editing videos down is a seriously time consuming job so anything he gets from YT is well earned. More power to him and long may it continue.

It actually is very good. I came across it randomly one day ............ I wasn't even trying to do anything with the hydraulics on a MF 35! I just started watching it and watched it right through to the end

I paid for some DVD's a few years back on MF Engines and hydraulics from here:
    http://vintagetractorengineer.com/category/fergusonmf/

they were well worth it at the time but the amount of free content on YouTube now is amazing. Its a dificult thing to video a clear instructional video and she has done it well. I clicked the old subscribe button there, I'll defenitly have a look at some of her other ones and there is quite a few. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

orm0nd wrote: »

YouTube needs more lads of your vintage telling of farming in the 60's/70's IMO .
    Tom Pembertons father is a great lad to hear talking aswell as Phils father and uncle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

I don’t mind the long videos, I don’t have a tv anymore so ya something interesting to be watching in the evening. Don’t want it all as short quick fire bullet points, I want to be entertained too. And I can’t be too critical as most of it is free viewing on demand.

I do have an issue with the Click Bait headlines some are using. I fell for IFarm WeFsrm this week. Title was “SILAGE PIT DISASTER!!!! THIS WAS A UNWANTED SHOCK”. And then “MY WORST FEARS COME TRUE!!!!!”, “ROTTEN” with a big red arrow pointing at the pit.
    I felt sorry for the lad as I started watching it, be a tough winter for him after spending a nice bit in new sheds and machinery. Thought he was going to burst into tears. There was nothing wrong with the silage, wee bit of mould that he forked off and he was delighted with it. Worse than a Sun headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The working from home craic got me wondering through Youtube. As well as those mentioned previously, I keep an eye on a Canadian lad by the name of Mike Mitchell
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRDywryGtWBmac-O4AReYpA/videos

He has a serious size farm, haven't heard the total size. I know a video I seen today where he was sowing around wet spots that was skipped first time around and he expected to get 4000 more acres just from those wet spots :eek: Biggest field is 5000 acres I recall. It's all land, no sheds. Land and bins!

Just to bring ye up to speed cos I know ye've all been wondering - the lad farms ~54,000 acres and is looking at renting more land

I don’t mind the long videos, I don’t have a tv anymore so ya something interesting to be watching in the evening. Don’t want it all as short quick fire bullet points, I want to be entertained too. And I can’t be too critical as most of it is free viewing on demand.

I do have an issue with the Click Bait headlines some are using. I fell for IFarm WeFsrm this week. Title was “SILAGE PIT DISASTER!!!! THIS WAS A UNWANTED SHOCK”. And then “MY WORST FEARS COME TRUE!!!!!”, “ROTTEN” with a big red arrow pointing at the pit.
    I felt sorry for the lad as I started watching it, be a tough winter for him after spending a nice bit in new sheds and machinery. Thought he was going to burst into tears. There was nothing wrong with the silage, wee bit of mould that he forked off and he was delighted with it. Worse than a Sun headline.

I pretty much agree with every word there.
    These video hosting sites and the blogging sites like Wordpress encourage the use of emotive headlines, everytime I create a blog post it rates my headlines lowly and suggests using more emotive language to attract followers.

He's the worst for it!

"DISASTER!" and then thumbnail of his head in his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

He's the worst for it!

Ice Road Truckers were masters at this

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

He's the worst for it!

but i think that he is such a perfectionist that he really does think its a disaster. I mean who puts 4 covers on a pit and not such much as a needle hole in any of them! He wouldn't want to spend a week on my farm or he would be in the psychiatric unit with all that's wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I think the hoof doctor has great content I bought a hoof disk for my battery grinder cause of him, a great job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Agree re. the ‘cliff hanger’ video titles and thumbnails. Can be a bit over the top but I think as long as the content is there in the background then I can live with that. Farmer Phil videos are too long. A lot of talking about nothing which could be cut out and much more watchable videos around the 5-10min mark would be preferable.

Could be wrong but I think you earn more or can monetize videos/have ads before them if they are over 10mins.

They are all still better than Ear to the Ground, (maybe Grassmen too).

What I like is that some show the good and the bad, eg Clydes Farm on Farmflix.

Regarding advertising products, why pay the IFJ or RTE a couple of thousand in advertising when you can send out one product to these guys and still reach the same audience, its a no brainer for companies, much larger companies are doing it in other industries in America.

There was on crowd heavily advertising one product, best thing since sliced bread, yet if you looked on social media you'd see them on their side or lads giving out about latches on back doors busting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The fathers often steal the show on a lot of channels. Welker's father is a pun machine as well being very a interesting nice man.

timple23 wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I think you earn more or can monetize videos/have ads before them if they are over 10mins.

They are all still better than Ear to the Ground, (maybe Grassmen too).

What I like is that some show the good and the bad, eg Clydes Farm on Farmflix.

Regarding advertising products, why pay the IFJ or RTE a couple of thousand in advertising when you can send out one product to these guys and still reach the same audience, its a no brainer for companies, much larger companies are doing it in other industries in America.

There was on crowd heavily advertising one product, best thing since sliced bread, yet if you looked on social media you'd see them on their side or lads giving out about latches on back doors busting off.

That's how you get biased reviews from lads wanting free stuff. You can't trust reviews on these because it's all done to fill their own pocket.

Watched iFarm WeFarm and he said the LEDs on the tractor were ****e and they were corroding but he said he won't name the brand because he doesn't "bash" brands.

Yet he has no trouble praising every bit of kit he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

That's how you get biased reviews from lads wanting free stuff. You can't trust reviews on these because it's all done to fill their own pocket.

Watched iFarm WeFarm and he said the LEDs on the tractor were ****e and they were corroding but he said he won't name the brand because he doesn't "bash" brands.

He did say the bale splitter wasn't ideal as he had to take the guard off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

This is why I love ProjectFarm on youtube, he purchases all items and tests them against manufacturers' claims.

I know of someone who posted complaining about a product on social media and they stated they got a solicitors letter asking them to take it down.

That IFarm fella was raving about one guy who gave him stuff, said I'd try him, nearly had to harrass him just to get a response, ended up taking my business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I watched some of Project Farm only the other day. Very in depth and as you say, no fooling around trying to keep companies happy. Not everything is applicable to us here, a lot of American brands etc. That's a great little lawn mower engine he's got. He has put all sorts into the poor thing and it keeps going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

RobinBanks wrote: »
    but i think that he is such a perfectionist that he really does think its a disaster. I mean who puts 4 covers on a pit and not such much as a needle hole in any of them! He wouldn't want to spend a week on my farm or he would be in the psychiatric unit with all that's wrong here.

we must have doing it wrong all along, he put on the old cover first and the new cover last.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

Came across these two Polish girls the other day haven’t a clue what they are saying though :pac:

https://youtu.be/uTSFCHFBqo0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭endainoz

topnotch wrote: »
    Came across these two Polish girls the other day haven’t a clue what they are saying though :pac:

https://youtu.be/uTSFCHFBqo0

I'd say your not one bit concerned about what they are saying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

timple23 wrote: »
    This is why I love ProjectFarm on youtube, he purchases all items and tests them against manufacturers' claims.

I know of someone who posted complaining about a product on social media and they stated they got a solicitors letter asking them to take it down.

That IFarm fella was raving about one guy who gave him stuff, said I'd try him, nearly had to harrass him just to get a response, ended up taking my business elsewhere.

+1 for project farm.

Advertisement