Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

beertons wrote: »
    Was watching something on the telly earlier, James Martin was doing a pasta dish. He had an automatic pasta machine. Looked deadly. Drop everything in a vat, it mixes, goes out a funnel, let it set for 10 mins, then boil. I've used the deep fat fryer 3 times, so it's gonna make room if I do purchase. Am I mad? Had anyone got a pasta maker?

Unless you really really love fresh pasta...

You're mad :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’ve got a pasta roller attachment to my stand mixer, so you just put the ingredients into the machine, turn it on, rest the dough and run it through the roller. Easy as pie.

I have probably made fresh pasta about 5 times in a year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Unless you really really love fresh pasta...

You're mad :)

It's amazing.

Been told I'm mad numerous times too, so you were right.

Away to Amazon with me so.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Looks like the Strawberries are shifting from the Irish\Benelux 'Elsanta' type varieties to the Mediterranean varieties if my local LIDL is anything to go by... I'll put them on hiatus as far as my shopping list is concerned til springtime.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It's amazing.

Been told I'm mad numerous times too, so you were right.

Away to Amazon with me so.

2315, excluding vat. On nisbits. Think I'll just keep buying the fresh stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Looks like the Strawberries are shifting from the Irish\Benelux 'Elsanta' type varieties to the Mediterranean varieties if my local LIDL is anything to go by... I'll put them on hiatus as far as my shopping list is concerned til springtime.

If I need to use them during the winter I macerate them in a sprinkle of icing sugar and a splash of lemon juice, it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

I bought a chicken cushion in the butcher's last Friday. It's chicken fillet filled with stuffing, wrapped in rashers and tied to resemble a cushion, I forgot to freeze it but it has been in the fridge since. OK to cook it today would ye say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I bought a chicken cushion in the butcher's last Friday. It's chicken fillet filled with stuffing, wrapped in rashers and tied to resemble a cushion, I forgot to freeze it but it has been in the fridge since. OK to cook it today would ye say?

Give it a good smell and see, if it doesn't smell right I would throw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Davexirl wrote: »
    Give it a good smell and see, if it doesn't smell right I would throw it out.

You're right, doesn't smell 100%. Shame, waste of money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Folks please remember, food safety advice isn't permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Making bread in the winter can be hard if you don’t have a hot press or somewhere warm to get the dough rising.

Put some water in your slow cooker, put it on high to heat the water quickly then turn to low. Put the slow cooker lid on with the handle facing down into the bowl. Put your dough container on top and leave for however long.

Works a treat. :)

image.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Had a medical appointment earlier and was looking at the magazines in the waiting area. One had this recipe. https://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/info/6959/braised-featherblade-with-parsley-and-horseradish-dumplings/

Never heard of featherblade steak until now.

I'm really liking this chilli pickle from Pataks.

1471862653chilli-pickle-283g.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm really liking this chilli pickle from Pataks.
    Some of the Asian shops have way more pataks stuff than regular supermarkets.

rubadub wrote: »
    Some of the Asian shops have way more pataks stuff than regular supermarkets.

They really do, I never buy Asian food from the supermarkets. Support the little stores. I got this from Mr. Bells.

I'm doing a smoked salmon tomorrow for a dish to bring to a neighbour. I don't know what I was thinking, but I never took the skin off before curing. It'll be fine though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm doing a smoked salmon tomorrow for a dish to bring to a neighbour. I don't know what I was thinking, but I never took the skin off before curing. It'll be fine though, right?

Sides of salmon are always smoked with the skin on. Whole sides are usually sold that way too.

Sides of salmon are always smoked with the skin on. Whole sides are usually sold that way too.

That's what I wanted to hear. Good man beer.

How are you smoking it??

How are you smoking it??

In a Joe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sounds fishy.

In a Joe

Hot smoking, so.
    I think you'd be in trouble if you had taken the skin off. The skin will keep it from falling apart.

Hot smoking, so.
    I think you'd be in trouble if you had taken the skin off. The skin will keep it from falling apart.

I was sure I had the skin removed the last time I did it. Anyway, now to clean Joe.

Japanese sauces, I'd like to try and make some.

I see Mr. Bells here are selling ponzu sauce which I might try.

This recipe for Okonomiyaki Sauce looks good:

https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/okonomiyaki-sauce/166839

Any recommendations of where to start?
    Is miso soup worth trying to make at home?

https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/okonomiyaki-sauce/166839

Any recommendations of where to start?
    Is miso soup worth trying to make at home?

I make miso soup fairly regularly. Very simple and quick.
    You'll need kombu and benito flakes for the dashi and miso to make up the soup.

Bonito flakes (katsuobushi) used to be hard to find but Jia Jia have had them lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hiroshima or Osaka style?

kylith wrote: »
    Hiroshima or Osaka style?

Don't know :)
    Japanese food is all new to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Don't know :)
    Japanese food is all new to me...

I'm a fan of the Hiroshima which is layered bottom to top with fried egg, noodles, cabbage, protein, batter scraps, pancake, sauce, whereas the Osaka style is all mixed in together. I' do had the latter once (not in Japan) and I didn't like it so much.

If you're looking to get into Japanese food I highlu recommend the YouTube channel Cooking With Dog. I highly recommend the sukiyaki, and the gyoza recipe is better than anything you'd find in a restaurant here.

kylith wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the Hiroshima which is layered bottom to top with fried egg, noodles, cabbage, protein, batter scraps, pancake, sauce, whereas the Osaka style is all mixed in together. I' do had the latter once (not in Japan) and I didn't like it so much.

If you're looking to get into Japanese food I highlu recommend the YouTube channel Cooking With Dog. I highly recommend the sukiyaki, and the gyoza recipe is better than anything you'd find in a restaurant here.

Thank you very much Kylith.
    Definitely prefer the sound of the Hiroshima version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Also check out Japaneasy by Tim Anderson. It’s a really accessible cookbook for Japanese recipes.

Advertisement