Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Lucan

Options
  • 08-09-2016 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hey guys

Sorry if this has been asked before as could not find the latest info.

I am looking to buy a house and budget is 300k.

Which areas should be avoided in Lucan?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Moved to Dublin County West for better answers

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Earlsfort and Foxborough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

As above plus Liffey Valley Park

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Earlsfort and Foxborough
    anewme wrote: »
    As above plus Liffey Valley Park

Why avoid these estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If your looking for a family home and have kids, you need to get into the right parish to make school selection easier, so esker and St Mary's are the parishes to look at

• Advertisement

tomred1 wrote: »
    Why avoid these estates?

When I was there, there were a lot of properties rented (to the EHB)

A lot of the properties were not looked after as they should have been and it was hard to build up a sense of community with so many people moving on quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

tomred1 wrote: »
    Why avoid these estates?

mostly rented now they are very run down you wouldn't know what could move in beside you

get as near to the village as you can afford

mostly rented now they are very run down you wouldn't know what could move in beside you

Thats a very harsh and unfair statement to make.

The village has alot of bad points to it, ie traffic, no major supermarket, all major sports are away from the village and most houses are old so need alot of reworking.

Areas I would recomment would be Finnstown, johnsbridge, Grange Manor, Bewleys, Hermitage, Vessey Park, Hillcrest, Esker, Beech lawn and Roselawn.

Thats a very harsh and unfair statement to make.

The village has alot of bad points to it, ie traffic, no major supermarket, all major sports are away from the village and most houses are old so need alot of reworking.

Areas I would recomment would be Finnstown, johnsbridge, Grange Manor, Bewleys, Hermitage, Vessey Park, Hillcrest, Esker, Beech lawn and Roselawn.

Lived in one of those areas for 8 years and would agree re the comments, harsh and all as they are. Would not live there again.

Lived in one of those areas for 8 years and would agree re the comments, harsh and all as they are. Would not live there again.

His comments about mostly rented was not about the estates I had in my list.

The mostly rented he was refering to liffey valley, foxborough, earlsfort

• Advertisement

His comments about mostly rented was not about the estates I had in my list.

The mostly rented he was refering to liffey valley, foxborough, earlsfort

I know, I was referring to your comment that it was a harsh and unfair statement to make (that those areas were rented out and sometimes not in great condition)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Think they're starting to build again in Adamstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If your looking for a family home and have kids, you need to get into the right parish to make school selection easier, so esker and St Mary's are the parishes to look at

Eh, that is if you want to raise your children as catholics / want them to go to catholic schools. For more and more people, this is not what they want.

unkel wrote: »
    Eh, that is if you want to raise your children as catholics / want them to go to catholic schools. For more and more people, this is not what they want.

Very true, but since I don't know the person religion, the parish thing covers both angles.

Anyhow I love lucan, there is so much going for it, loads of sports, loads of parks where you can have great fun with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Truth wins

Thanks but I lived there in Liffey green. Horrible place to live . Kids threw eggs on doors and car was set on fire. Never again

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No need to post the same thing in three different threads in this forum, Truth wins. I have deleted your other two posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Did anyone buy in Alderlie? What did ye think of the houses? At first glance they seem like they could be great value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

put down a deposit for 4 bed mid terrace.. they looked nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

What estates (within these parishes) would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yep agree with those and I'd add Elmbrook and Wilsbrook to the list too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 sizzlers

I love Lucan too, have lived here most of my life and now raising my family here. There are certain parts that are considered 'better' than others but only by people's opinions. I don't know what kind of house you're looking for but prices are high in Lucan and you don't get much for 300k (or even 400k in some cases). If it were me, and if I had kids and a budget of 300k I would look at Hillcrest. Good schools (primary and secondary), 2 supermarkets, settled well established area within walking distance to facilities in the village and a good bus route. The traffic around the village schools is a consideration, it's hellish. To be honest the traffic in Lucan is awful most of the time so to be near to a bus stop and being able to walk to school is a great advantage.

Other areas I focused on when we were house hunting Beech park/grove, Lucan Heights, Esker Lawns, Ballydowd, Roselawn but most houses there will sell for more than 400k unless they need gutting.

Estates I would not consider would be Earlsfort, Abbeydale, Colthurst, Castle Riada, Liffey Valley Park, Grifeen Glen, Moyglas and Foxborough but that's my personal opinion.

sizzlers wrote: »
    I love Lucan too, have lived here most of my life and now raising my family here. There are certain parts that are considered 'better' than others but only by people's opinions. I don't know what kind of house you're looking for but prices are high in Lucan and you don't get much for 300k (or even 400k in some cases). If it were me, and if I had kids and a budget of 300k I would look at Hillcrest. Good schools (primary and secondary), 2 supermarkets, settled well established area within walking distance to facilities in the village and a good bus route. The traffic around the village schools is a consideration, it's hellish. To be honest the traffic in Lucan is awful most of the time so to be near to a bus stop and being able to walk to school is a great advantage.

Other areas I focused on when we were house hunting Beech park/grove, Lucan Heights, Esker Lawns, Ballydowd, Roselawn but most houses there will sell for more than 400k unless they need gutting.

Estates I would not consider would be Earlsfort, Abbeydale, Colthurst, Castle Riada, Liffey Valley Park, Grifeen Glen, Moyglas and Foxborough but that's my personal opinion.

Agree with this assessment totally as someone who bought in Liffey Valley Park. I could not put up with it. Friend bought in Hillcrest at the time and they are still happily there.

Agree with this assessment totally as someone who bought in Liffey Valley Park. I could not put up with it. Friend bought in Hillcrest at the time and they are still happily there.

Yep Hillcrest is nice, my aunt lives there. Houses might need to be gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

sizzlers wrote: »

I lived for 11 years in Colthurst, no problem with it at all.
    Ballyowen shopping centre is right there with Eurospar, Lidl, post office, takeaways, etc.
    A bus stop directly outside the estate, Liffey Valley shopping centre only 10 mins drive away, the nightlink stopped at the Penny Hill pub.

Dublin Bus even started buses mid-route, so the 25A would start empty at the Penny Hill pub on the way into work, with buses around 7:40, 7:50, 8:00 or so. It was real handy getting on an empty bus, where sometimes the buses could be nearly full if they started from Supervalu.

Traffic can nasty around there at times, with far too many traffic lights, but that's all of Lucan really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bb220

Heroditas wrote: »
    Yep agree with those and I'd add Elmbrook and Wilsbrook to the list too

Hi,

I need your advice as you seems to be knowing lucan well. I am non Irish and I am getting a below house I.e.

1. Fforster Park, Lucan.
    It's a 2Bhk mid terrace priced at 265k single bath. Can you pls guide me if this is a safe location to live with a young family.

2. Mount Andrew Dale, Lucan
    It's a again similar but priced at 270k.

3. St. Edmunds Park, Lucan

4. Adams town Square, lucan.

I have no idea which is the best area but I am inclined towards Fforester Park as it is close to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It's a close call between 1. and 2. but if I'd have to choose in order of preference, I'd pick 1, 2, 3 then 4 in that order

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bb220

Heroditas wrote: »
    It's a close call between 1. and 2. but if I'd have to choose in order of preference, I'd pick 1, 2, 3 then 4 in that order

I am assuming from your reply that Ffroster park is fairly safe for a Asian to buy and live.

bb220 wrote: »
    I am assuming from your reply that Ffroster park is fairly safe for a Asian to buy and live.

They are all safe for an Asian to buy and live. Lucan overall has a diverse mix of residents.

They are all safe for an Asian to buy and live. Lucan overall has a diverse mix of residents.

Lucan is like every where else, you will meet some silly people but majority are great.

Where exactly in Adamstown Sq, as alot of work going on up there and alot more sport facilities are up that way.

Visit all areas at night time and see what you think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement