Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick improvement projects

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Is Sarsfield house definitely getting knocked at some stage?

I've kinda grown to like it
    I believe so, an awful building inside, not much better to look at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Is Sarsfield house definitely getting knocked at some stage?

I've kinda grown to like it

That's the plan once the opera centre is built, Revenue are expected to move in there and then Sarsfield house is slated to be knocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Will it be replaced by a new building or made a park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

bb1234567 wrote: »
    source wrote: »
    There was talk a few years ago of the site of Arthur's Quay park and Sarsfield house becoming linear open parkland leading to the Sylvester O'Halloran bridge, and opening up the Potato market into a park area also. With the exception of Merchant's Quay it would lead to park from Sarsfield Bridge to Thomond Bridge. But I don't know if that is being progressed or if it's just pie in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

bb1234567 wrote: »

Hopefully it will be made into a park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be made into a park

Probably a bit of both. Would definitely be nice to open up the riverside walk properly rather than that ugly gated area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

source wrote: »
    There was talk a few years ago of the site of Arthur's Quay park and Sarsfield house becoming linear open parkland leading to the Sylvester O'Halloran bridge, and opening up the Potato market into a park area also. With the exception of Merchant's Quay it would lead to park from Sarsfield Bridge to Thomond Bridge. But I don't know if that is being progressed or if it's just pie in the sky.

Would be great if that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

walked over Thomond Bridge and around to St Mary's Cathedral at the weekend with intention of walking through Potato market and behind Hunt Museum to Arthurs Quay park. very disappointed to see the gates were closed off. The 3 bridges walk is a great amenity, hundreds out on all the riverside areas. best part of limerick imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its the Civic Trust that lock it apparently

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Was that Sunday morning? I ran through that way around 9:00 am on Saturday and everything was open.

• Advertisement

Don't know why it gets closed at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭adaminho

Mc Love wrote: »
    Its the Civic Trust that lock it apparently

It's the council from what I heard. I spoke to a councillor about it earlier in the summer. As an aside I only found out a few weeks ago that there used to be apartments in Sarsfield house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

adaminho wrote: »
    It's the council from what I heard. I spoke to a councillor about it earlier in the summer. As an aside I only found out a few weeks ago that there used to be apartments in Sarsfield house!

I saw some video about those apartments recently too, and it mentioned four apartments that were for sale years ago. Used to always think it would be great to have a penthouse apartment in Sarsfield House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

My wife and I got locked in to the park behind the Hunt Museum one evening. We walked in the Potato Market side, sat on a bench for a while and went to exit via the Sarsfield House side, but it was locked. Walked back to the Potato Market entrance and that had been locked too! We ended up having to climb over the fence at the front onto Bridge Street ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,352 ✭✭✭✭phog

eljono wrote: »
    My wife and I got locked in to the park behind the Hunt Museum one evening. We walked in the Potato Market side, sat on a bench for a while and went to exit via the Sarsfield House side, but it was locked. Walked back to the Potato Market entrance and that had been locked too! We ended up having to climb over the fence at the front onto Bridge Street ��

I thought the gate a Sarsfield House could be opened from the inside using magnetic catch release rather than a lock.

phog wrote: »
    I thought the gate a Sarsfield House could be opened from the inside using magnetic catch release rather than a lock.

In fairness I wouldn't have known that either if I got locked in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,352 ✭✭✭✭phog

In fairness I wouldn't have known that either if I got locked in there

Well it's a pass code/card that open's the gate from the outside for people that berth their boats behind the Hunt so I just assume it's a release button form the inside.

Was that Sunday morning? I ran through that way around 9:00 am on Saturday and everything was open.

sunday afternoon - 2 ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

See the Council's Twitter page has up about the CPO of the unfinished multi story car park on Ellen St.

https://twitter.com/LimerickCouncil/status/1331941042233487362

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Shaneg4

Junction improvement at the courtbrack rd, I wonder where Kellehers are going to move to if this has funding approved as they are supposed to be getting cpo'ed and demolised to make that road wider.
    Traffic lights to be synced and timed better, courtbrack to be reduced to 1 turning lane, bike lanes etc.

Can't link as new account but it's on my point

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

Outline of the proposed works to take place at the junction. Significant enough changes that I would expect will lead to delays on the Dock road. I assume the main purpose of this is to improve delivery access to the docks? There will be a significant land grab as shown by the blue line outlining Kellehers current premises.

Ekx3X2AXYAMcI1_?format=jpg&name=large

Outline of the proposed works to take place at the junction. Significant enough changes that I would expect will lead to delays on the Dock road. I assume the main purpose of this is to improve access to the docks?

Ekx3X2AXYAMcI1_?format=jpg&name=large

Absolutely useless cycling lanes as usual from the council. To get through that junction you would have to dismount 3 times just to get through it and any cycle lane in the city that is at the same level as the path gets ignored by pedestrians making it unusable to cyclists
    You can expect me and plenty of other cyclists to not use it and stay on the road

Yeah they really know how not to design an intersection even though there is a whole guide on it in the DMURS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Why would anyone want to cycle down Atlas Avenue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Commuters going to and from work?

• Advertisement

No harm having lanes anywhere there is room but the council need to actually set a standard for them and not just paint colours on a path or that stupid yoke on the bridge that has no entry point from the condell road side

exactly - there's no joined up thinking. Can you imagine if they did it with roads? Like the cycle lane in Ballinacurra. It starts and stops just randomly - there's no transition from the road to the cycle path or from the cycle path to the road cycle lane at the other side.

Mc Love wrote: »
    exactly - there's no joined up thinking. Can you imagine if they did it with roads? Like the cycle lane in Ballinacurra. It starts and stops just randomly - there's no transition from the road to the cycle path or from the cycle path to the road cycle lane at the other side.

Condell Tesco roundabout one throws you round a blind corner right in to a traffic light pole/pedestrians on the Ennis rd exit and all of the roundabout ones in Limerick launch you back on to the road just as the car is exiting the roundabout.

The on path ones are full of lamp posts and yield signs. Imagine as a car driver if you were driving through an estate and had to yield for every driveway cause that's what some cycle paths do

I see they are laying bollards and armadillos on the bike lane on Clonmacken road the last few days. I rarely cycle in that lane as the surface has started to break up - these improvements aren't going to convince people to cycle in there as there is no room to avoid the surface and once inside the armadillos, you can't get out to easily.

Additionally, if anyone in the council is watching in here - could you please complete the road sweeping of the Condell Road. One side was done early last week and the outbond lane was left untouched. I wonder how they intend to sweep this new sectioned off bike lane ?

I see they are laying bollards and armadillos on the bike lane on Clonmacken road the last few days. I rarely cycle in that lane as the surface has started to break up - these improvements aren't going to convince people to cycle in there as there is no room to avoid the surface and once inside the armadillos, you can't get out to easily.

Additionally, if anyone in the council is watching in here - could you please complete the road sweeping of the Condell Road. One side was done early last week and the outbond lane was left untouched. I wonder how they intend to sweep this new sectioned off bike lane ?

That red paint crap that they put on the cycle lanes ruins them. They are either broken up into shards like Pa Healy road or sloped on making the lane like rumble strips like Dooradoyle

• Advertisement

I see a load of planter/benches were dropped in Parnell Street today. They're still in the wrap and not planted yet.

the council finished sweeping both sides of Condell Rd now but there is a horrible greasy mucky residue still on the cycle lane. It really needs another good sweeping now. The parts by the 2 construction sites is oweful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭manna452121

the council finished sweeping both sides of Condell Rd now but there is a horrible greasy mucky residue still on the cycle lane. It really needs another good sweeping now. The parts by the 2 construction sites is oweful.

Keep a lookout for the new poles on the cycle lane heading from the Condell road to Jetland centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Keep a lookout for the new poles on the cycle lane heading from the Condell road to Jetland centre

Will that stop all the parents letting their kids off for school?

mrsoundie wrote: »

Is there a school round there?

Didn't think they were needed there I never see cars parked or driving in it. But I could be wrong I wouldn't pass there that often

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Didn't think they were needed there I never see cars parked or driving in it. But I could be wrong I wouldn't pass there that often

When there's a match on the place is like a car park.

MarkR wrote: »
    When there's a match on the place is like a car park.

Dooradoyle is the same when Garryowen play.

Those bollards are awful to look at but sadly they are the solution not the problem.

Its the people parking there that's the problem

Dooradoyle is the same when Garryowen play.

Those bollards are awful to look at but sadly they are the solution not the problem.

Its the people parking there that's the problem
    Won't Someone think of the double parkers!

https://twitter.com/EmmettOBrienIND/status/1332329720130711552

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Incredible. A fella representing Kildimo and Pallaskenry complaining about a cycle lane in Limerick City Centre.

• Advertisement

He's some troll

Incredible. A fella representing Kildimo and Pallaskenry complaining about a cycle lane in Limerick City Centre.

Plenty of his voters won't care where the lane is as long as he is putting it up to the cyclists. It's one of the weirder things to have gotten so political recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭sioda

Love the fact he's tagging Flannerys about not getting deliveries when their kegs get dropped on William Street.

I use that lane a good bit happy to see the bollards tbh

sioda wrote: »
    Love the fact he's tagging Flannerys about not getting deliveries when their kegs get dropped on William Street.

You'd imagine a qualified barrister would have the brains to phrase his Tweets more appropriately. It doesn't exactly strike confidence in the average Joe to see this kind of carry-on.

mrsoundie wrote: »

You probably thinking of the Condell Road. These new bollards are on the Clonmacken Road - no schools anywhere near there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

sioda wrote: »

Also tagging the wrong Flannerys.

The Dutch and the Belgians seem to cycle and drink more than the rest of the world combined and they manage deliveries some how on them battered old streets so I'm sure Wickham st. Will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I've seen city councillors post recently about water outages etc outside of the area in the city that they represent. I suspect its partially to do with getting the name out there in prep for a future General Election run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Advertisement

Wey hey we finally get started on Limerick2005 or whatever the 5 year plan was called back then

Advertisement