Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tutor reports

Options
  • 24-11-2020 9:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1

Hey going unreg for this one..

Staff meeting today.

Our school has a tutor system when a teacher takes the roll and provides pastoral care for a class group of 25-30 students for 10minutes each morning.

Management have informed us that from now on, the teacher /tutor must fill out reports on each student to be sent home with the report cards.

1. Tutor must check the results for each student and how they are progressing in each class.

2. Tutor must compile and write a report based on their grades, performance and behaviour.

This seems excessive and lot of extra work on an already burned out staff who are dealing with enough stress this year as it is.

Do the unions have a leg to stand on here or just another case of shut up and get on with it.

(it's also not possible to leave the position of tutor, makes up part of your 22hrs and management has stated its not optional)

I'm furious with this extra workload dumped on top of me. Surely this is the job of API or APII.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I would say that is the job of a year head not a tutor. 10 mins of your time might be used for tutor time, but you are being paid to teach. Collectively tell management to fcuk off and job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This was part of the tutor role when I was teaching. Because tutor time counted as a period on my timetable I felt it was fair enough and did not mind the work involved, viewing it as in lieu of preparations and corrections I would have otherwise had for a subject class. The tutor reports at Christmas and Summer, or after mocks in exam years, involved a summary of progress, behaviour, attendance and it was input on vsware with a character limit about double that of a subject comment, so not too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Icsics

This is the job of the year head. Have a union meeting, others might feel the same but some might be fine with it! Very sharp practice from management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Depends on what they mean by tracking the academics. If it means compare over the last 5 years, cross reference with similar subjects, account for IEN etc yeah that's too much.

If it's looking over the report in 7 seconds and seeing that he is failing history and everything else is a B and writing "look at a study plan for history, good job elsewhere" then I think that would be part of your tutor time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

Few things because this craic is starting all over the place with tutors. I.e. pushing duties down and getting free labor.

1. Yearhead posts are - in all but name gone - it's AP1 "middle management" of which duties can be changed at a whim.
    2. If you're an ASTI school then have a meeting, this is what people voted against.
    3. It's subject teachers job to say where the students are academically, you don't know their progress in class.
    4. Do a really half assed bland bare minimum report so as to make the whole exercise meaningless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Treppen wrote: »
    4. Do a really half assed bland bare minimum report so as to make the whole exercise meaningless.
    This is what I do, essentially. Not intentionally exactly, but there isn’t much else I can do anyway. Like someone else said, there’s a lot of things like “fine overall but it looks like Johnny needs to work on his German”.

I got roped into being tutor this year against my will, essentially, by being timetabled to do a throwaway class with my group, and being told that I could do the tutor work then, but this isn’t the case, obviously, because it’s still an actual class on their timetable, so I don’t have any extra time.
    I’ll be telling them not to do that next year. They got the benefit of the doubt from me this year. Once bitten though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Management need to be told to FCUK OFF now.

1.We were told and led to believe that due to the Pandemic that we should be a more caring society. Management didnt feckin listen,they werent in that day when it was announced!!!

2.ASTI has issued a directive on deteriorating working conditions.Many teachers have got in touch very recently with HQ due to whats being asked of them in their school.(Term Reports being the present rotten apple)

3.Realise the following,the majority of the people issuing this increased work load are NOT in rooms full of potential Covids every day.The Management,especially the ETB one are gathering for ZOOM meetings and are discussing "what will we throw at the teacher next."They are trying to be seen as being valuable,they are not!. But to impress their leaders they may get a nice expenses laden job when they get fed up of school and become full members of THE GOLDEN CIRCLE,

4. Also realise that some organisations are providing WELLNESS on line courses for their staff!!!!!! only problem is these seminars are on when the most important person in the school,the teacher,is in class!!!! What a load of bullsh1t.Again the feckin ETB are the most guilty here.Its time theyd cop on and realise that their priority IS THE TEACHERS AND STUDENTS under their care.They dont give a FCUK as can be seen by their carry on.

5.Consider this ,something else the UNIONS will have to move fast on,at some of those meetings in Marble Towers the ETBs ,in particular, are going to try and make sure ALL CP hours are done in the Springtime when the Restrictions are lifted,they have already "thought out loud" and have said to some people that the "hours saved" by not having PTMs (half in half out of school)will be used later on!!! These b*st*rds are forgetting that the "EXTENDED REPORT" this Christmas Term will take days longer to prepare and will also open up the teacher to all sorts of (legal) threats from disgruntled parents as the report will be in writing as opposed to a face to face chat of other years at a PTM. But of course its the individual teacher that will suffer the consequences,again not thought through properly by management and their leaders. (A GENERIC REPORT IS NOT WORTH ANYTHING TO ANYONE AND IS DOING A DIS SERVICE TO THE STUDENTS UNDER YOUR CARE but yes ,it will not bring you into disrepute!)
    CP hours are well and truly done this year and let Management realise this NOW.

Those that are twiddling their thumbs and thinking up ways of making themselves IMPORTANT are about to create one of the biggest walkouts/industrial actions in the history of teaching if the UNIONS are fair and listen to their members.This needs to be nipped in the bud NOW.

So much for GOODWILL and being nice to employees and treating them fairly...........................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I don't work in an ETB and consider myself fortunate to not do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

As above, this is a year head role in my school and all year heads have an AP 1 or AP2 post, this is way above what an unpaid tutor should be asked to do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

1. Tutor must check the results for each student and how they are progressing in each class.

That's the subject teacher's job. Why is there doubling up on work?
    2. Tutor must compile and write a report based on their grades, performance and behaviour.

If the report is favourable but the student gets bad grades subsequently, who's to blame?.... The tutor obviously, for not doing their job correctly and predicting it.

If the report is unfavorable then the tutor becomes the middle man hopping between what the parent, student and subject teacher says! What value is the tutor adding in this process, apart from doing a 'he said she said" messaging service,. Add an extra link and it'll be Chinese whispers.

This seems excessive and lot of extra work on an already burned out staff who are dealing with enough stress this year as it is.
    I suspect people are trying to pass the buck and offload stress in a downward fashion.

Also sounds like a lot of Irish principals went to a conference on student tracking and were dazzled by a lot of bull5hit.

Do the unions have a leg to stand on here or just another case of shut up and get on with it.

Unions will do nothing because nowadays you can be asked to do anything .... Unless your role is defined in a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

My great bugbear of the Irish education system.

We have both subject departments and tutor roles, neither of which are on a formal footing.

Both bestow great responsibilities to heads/tutors while both also are completely unrecognised in terms of financial compensation....oh it will be great for your cv!

We have aped structures from other jurisdictions without resourcing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

You have fifty minutes a week for this role Tell the principal it's not possible to this work in the allocated time. To do the entire job he is asking. Hold a union meeting. Check with Asti headquarters. But I see no basis on which your principal can make you do this .
    However if you are like most teachers you will roll over and so will your fellow teachers.
    Prove me wrong.

Advertisement