Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Spicy beef rice bowl https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/food/arid-40072349.html

First time making. Was pretty nice but needs a bit of tweaking. Used vermicelli rice noodles instead of rice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Nachos with home made cheese sauce, guacamole, pico de Gallo, sour cream and jalapenos. Best dinner we had all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Ish66 wrote: »
    ''A proper dinner, None of that Poncey Wok nonsense'' (as my Mam would say !)
    Sliced turkey brest, mash and roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots stuffing balls and pigs in blankets. I did have 3 each of the last 2 but milled them whilst waiting on the spuds !

]

That looks like heaven on a plate!
    Did mammy cook it, or is it your own glorious creation?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

That looks like heaven on a plate!
    Did mammy cook it, or is it your own glorious creation?
    Ahh no, Mam died years ago and I live alone and love cooking it more than actually eating it. I find cooking very calming !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Ahh no, Mam died years ago and I live alone and love cooking it more than actually eating it. I find cooking very calming !:)

Sorry to hear that. So its a dinner your mam would have approved of then :). It works wopper. I like poncey wok stuff aswel, but ya can't beat a nice comforting roast !

• Advertisement

Was starving hence the pile of Veg !
    Roast Chicken, Baby spuds, Broccoli, Sugar snap peas and Sprouts. I cleaned the plate :D

chicken-dinner-2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had roast chicken tonight too - with roast potatoes, carrots, stuffing and lots of gravy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^^^^But tomorrow’s Sunday! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

i know - we're rebels! Next thing you know we'll be eating After Eight at 7.30 :pac:

We had a takeaway last night. Twice this week I think. I had a Chinese chicken curry with rice, chips and prawn crackers. Yum.

Spag bol in the slow cooker for this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I made Beef Stew in the Slow Cooker.. 8 hours on low!

Spuds, Carrots, Onions and Turnip!

conor_ie wrote: »
    I made Beef Stew in the Slow Cooker.. 8 hours on low!

Spuds, Carrots, Onions and Turnip!
    New to slow cookers, At what point did you add the beef/ stock ?
    Could you spell it out a bit more please ? Love Stew !

New to slow cookers, At what point did you add the beef/ stock ?
    Could you spell it out a bit more please ? Love Stew !

No problem, I'd recommend taking out your beef pieces about half an hour before you start to cook to let them get to room temp. Chop up all your veg..Not too big that they will be hard but not too small that you can't taste them.. then coat the beef in flour salt and pepper then brown it off in a hot pan.

Spuds on the bottom of the slow cooker, then the beef and then the rest of the veg. I also used about a teaspoon of majoram, thyme, rosemary and garlic and a bay leaf. Add in your stock and then 8 hours on low.

In every stew recipe I've ever read celery seems to be a ingredient as well.. I put some on top as soon as it was done they were into the compost bin! Don't forget to remove the bay leaf before you serve!

If you want the sauce thickened when it comes out.. add a slurry of cornflour and water about 30 minutes before it's finished

Ish66 there's a brilliant slow cooker thread here with a link to most of the recipes in the first post :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468379

We had a one pot meal with onion, garlic, red pepper, tomatoes, chorizo and rice, sautéed, then cooked in vegetable stock and seasoned with cumin and paprika. Simple and pleasant.

This was lovely, loads of flavour.

Chicken Cacciatore with White Bean Mash and Green Beans.

EF0-F15-C4-D174-489-B-9472-ED9-F1-F8-C0-F61.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chicken_cacciatori_with_31318

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I had some leftover tomato sauce from when I made a Parmigiana on the weekend. I used this as a base, and put in large pasta shells filled with mozzarella, a bit of cottage cheese, lots of basil and some chives. Topped with peccorino, and baked till melted and bubbly and golden.
    Unfortunately, it was gone before I could take a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

Salmon, veg, pasta.

Chicken stew.

Smoked streaky bacon, crisped up. Onions, garlic, leeks, parsnips, carrots, celery and new potatoes added to the dish. Some skinless organic chicken popped on top. Herbs and stock and simmered for half an hour. Shredded the chicken into large chunks with two forks.

Delicious, homey fare. The leeks had melted to make a beautiful sauce.

Sounds like you've got your mojo back Mystery Egg :)

No mojo here this week, we've had two takeaways already - Chinese and chipper :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

No mojo here this week, we've had two takeaways already - Chinese and chipper :rolleyes:

Two takeaways and its only Tuesday! I like your style!! My wife wouldn’t let me get one tonight..

I'm still bored out of my tree with my cooking tbh. The other half has committed to cook two nights a week from now on. He made our chorizo rice dish on Monday. :)

We had home delivery McDonalds last night. As thought, their Fries do not travel well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only supermacs fries travel to any acceptable standard

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

Made my first chicken ballotine this morning to cook tonight.
    If I don't post a pic later, assume it did not go well.

Ribeye Steak cooked medium rare with mustardy onions and homemade chunky chips..

My phone was charging so I couldn't take a pic but in any event it didn't last long!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

Recliner wrote: »
    Made my first chicken ballotine this morning to cook tonight.
    If I don't post a pic later, assume it did not go well.

Not the prettiest plate but so tasty. Also made a mushroom, mustard and cream sauce to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Peri peri chicken, skin on mashed potatoes and corn and gravy. (Which I added later)

IMG-20201125-175826.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yesterday, Philadephia Light-Creamy kale, red onion and sun-dried tomato pasta. Not bad at all, gf liked it a lot, and pretty healthy.

Today, salmon with creamed leeks (Philadelphia Light again) and some baby potatoes I had sitting around. Supposed to be a traybake, ended up not being. Might keep on baking salmon, it's nicer than fried and healthier too. Until I added all that butter to the potatoes anyway.

WERf1n5.jpg
    51S5i2W.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Almost entirely vegan lasagna; Quorn is the only non-vegan element. Mixed vegetable tomato sauce, butternut and cashew ‘white’ sauce, smoked nondairy cheese product on top. I find that the Lidl lasagne sheets need to be par boiled before they can be used. Very tasty, but all a bit soft.

To be honest its of an issue I’ve been having with our diet recently is that everything seems to be quite...wet. Himself isn’t much of a fan of mock meats other than quorn nuggets and I don’t seem to be able to get much texture in with beans, lentils, and the like.

Advertisement