Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad Interviews

• 08-11-2020 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm studying media, and was wondering if anyone had examples of some poor interviews from recent Irish radio/tv?

I've been using Ryan Turbidy's interview with Paul Murphy from the Late Late as an example of someone failing to remain impartial. It's stuff like that I'm interested in, where the interview had an evident disregard for their subject, or just failed to engage with an interesting interviewee. Any suggestionswould be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I know it’s Tubridy again but he did an interview with the male cast of Daddy’s Home (think that’s the name of it) and asked them about the Me Too movement. One of them was Mel Gibson who was known for having abused his ex-wife.

There was a review about Deirdre O’Kane’s new show on one of the papers websites that should be easy to find. They said it was pretty bad (no depth and not funny, just two people filling time) but said it’s due to the show format, not O’Kane herself. Might be a good one to look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Klosterman

I know it’s Tubridy again but he did an interview with the male cast of Daddy’s Home (think that’s the name of it) and asked them about the Me Too movement. One of them was Mel Gibson who was known for having abused his ex-wife.

There was a review about Deirdre O’Kane’s new show on one of the papers websites that should be easy to find. They said it was pretty bad (no depth and not funny, just two people filling time) but said it’s due to the show format, not O’Kane herself. Might be a good one to look into.

Great. Thanks, I had heard something about the Gibson one before, but had completely forgotten it. I just read Ed Power's Irish Times review of O'Kane's show, sounds like that's worth checking out too. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Des Cahill alone should give you a thesis. Here's a starter for you.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89274310&postcount=8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Joe Duffy interviewing a Brazilian policeman on the arrest of Pat Hickey at the Rio Olympics. It was biased, condescending and aggressive. He kept talking over him and talking him down. Also asked why the policeman didn't use guns on TV cameramen (not a joke).

Cherry on top is that it was an interview that Duffy scheduled and recorded in advance in his own time, to run on Liveline, a programme that is there for us, the listeners to call in.

There's a load of other interviews that Duffy has had which were of personal nature to him and where nobody was allowed to challenge him; with Ivor Calley, with Ivor Callely's solicitor, a county councillor in Cavan/Monaghan was another good one etc.

Put you OP up in the Liveline thread some afternoon after the show and you'll get a lot more info.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Joe Duffy interviewing a Brazilian policeman on the arrest of Pat Hickey at the Rio Olympics. It was biased, condescending and aggressive. He kept talking over him and talking him down. Also asked why the policeman didn't use guns on TV cameramen (not a joke).

Cherry on top is that it was an interview that Duffy scheduled and recorded in advance in his own time, to run on Liveline, a programme that is there for us, the listeners to call in.

There's a load of other interviews that Duffy has had which were of personal nature to him and where nobody was allowed to challenge him; with Ivor Calley, with Ivor Callely's solicitor, a county councillor in Cavan/Monaghan was another good one etc.

Put you OP up in the Liveline thread some afternoon after the show and you'll get a lot more info.

Great. I'll search some of these out. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Des Cahill alone should give you a thesis. Here's a starter for you.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89274310&postcount=8

Good stuff. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I have memories of awful interviews on 'Up for the Match' over the years, but he wasn't someone that was springing to mind. I wasn't thinking of sport. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Ryan Tubridy with Richard Dawkins, with the cast of 21 jump street, with Gerry Adams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Ray Darcy interviewing Cathal Pendred after his fantastic win at UFC Fight Night Dublin in the 3 Arena.

Should have been Cathal coming in with much aplomb about his victory and the Irish success’ that night but it turned into Ray dismissing it all and grilling CP about the sport of MMA.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.the42.ie/cathal-pendred-ufc-dublin-ray-darcy-interview-1582309-Jul2014/%3famp=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Joe Duffy intervieing the owner of the Dublin Mint Office. Background: They are one of these subscription companies that rely on people being a bit foolish and not reading what they sign up to. Result: Rather than Joe pointing out the company's sharp business practices and helping the callers, he ended up telling the chap to close his eyes, imagine he was in his Dublin office and count how many people were in the room.

Yesterday, Joe Duffy interviewing the owner of a Botox clinic about being open during the pandemic for cosmetic procedures. Ended up asking him if they used s 3 metre needle. A LOT of dead air, pauses, silences, the enemy of good radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

KevRossi wrote: »

A stunning example of ignorance, arrogance, ego, and hubris in one:
    https://soundcloud.com/rte-radio-1/pat-hickey-arrest

How they decided to broadcast this (it was pre-recorded) remains a mystery to me. It seems that no-one has the power to stand up to Mr. Duffy in RTE.

He was rightly lampooned for it in the comments below (and elsewhere):
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/08/25/enhanced-interrogation/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Ray Darcy interviewing Cathal Pendred after his fantastic win at UFC Fight Night Dublin in the 3 Arena.

Should have been Cathal coming in with much aplomb about his victory and the Irish success’ that night but it turned into Ray dismissing it all and grilling CP about the sport of MMA.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.the42.ie/cathal-pendred-ufc-dublin-ray-darcy-interview-1582309-Jul2014/%3famp=1

I remember hearing that and I am not a fan of the sport but boy Cathal got more of a beating in that interview than he did at his match. It was absolutely atrocious. And very disrespectful.

Ryan Tubridy with Richard Dawkins, with the cast of 21 jump street, with Gerry Adams.

Great. Thanks. I love Dawkins, and never realised Turbidy interviewed him. Looking forward to this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Klosterman wrote: »
    Great. Thanks. I love Dawkins, and never realised Turbidy interviewed him. Looking forward to this!

Pat The Plank interviewed him as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not radio but the Gay Byrne, P Flynn interview on the late late years ago as a good example of a bad interview for the interviewee rather then the host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Joe Duffy (again) interviewing Michael O Leary about the changes to Ryanair seating policy.

Duffy goes off on a rant as he doesn't understand the situation. O Leary made him look like an eejit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It really depends on the format of the show.

If it's a political show, you'd expect hard questions and indepth knowledge by the interviewer.

If it's something like Liveline, the listener doesn't expect Joe to be impartial (I declined going on the show because I knew that he'd skew the questions in a way that would make my business look bad - I'm clued in enough to know that he has an agenda and will put questions in a certain way where I would never win). Most people understand this to be the case.

Tubridy
    The problem with Tubridy is that each interview segment of famous people is similar to a 'This Is Your Life' show. So regardless of what they're doing right now, Tubridy will remind them of something from their past that they are most famous for.

So Mick McCarthy or Roy Keane (for example) he'd bring us back to Saipan.

If it's an actor, he'll bring it back to their biggest part.

(Reminds me of the time I was standing chatting to Des Bishop and a girl comes over to say hello to me and she turns to Des and says "I love that routine you do on Immersions". He hadn't done the routine in about 10 years.)

As for questioning Gerry Adams - well, I think that everyone should remind Adams that he was leader of the IRA and responsible for multiple murders. Nothing biased about that.

When Tubridy interview comedians, they are prepped to do material - Tubs tees it up and then they tell the gag. Very staged but the acts do it because the producers want it that way.

What you never get from Tubridy's interactions with celebs or famous people, is that you've learned something new about them or their personality.

It's like a game of Pong. It's hitting a question and then the interviewee responds and repeat - there is little deviation from the questions on the card and you know as a viewer that you're not going to find out anything new or interesting.

The engagement failure, as it were, doesn't come about because the guest is not interesting, it comes about because the interviewer has no innate ability to build rapport with the interviewee. I think that this is an overlooked aspect of Tubridy and a reason why he should not be doing the job he does.

Compare that with the Tommy Tiernan show where the interviewer's intention is to make the conversation interesting and usually amusing with little regard for "this is what we need to talk about" or Gay Byrne's approach to his guests which would have been a more "how are you? what have you been upto?" approach and allowing space for the guest to fill in with stories, anecdotes etc.

Again, format dependent, look at Graham Norton - or listen to the way he asks questions and allows guests the space to be themselves, rather than their show biz selves.

Thinking about it - Tubridy's interviews are like job interviews.... tell me about this, you did this, what about the work you did in 1999 while Norton, Byrne and Tiernan are conversations.

Just some rough thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

zoobizoo wrote: »
    It really depends on the format of the show.

If it's a political show, you'd expect hard questions and indepth knowledge by the interviewer.

If it's something like Liveline, the listener doesn't expect Joe to be impartial (I declined going on the show because I knew that he'd skew the questions in a way that would make my business look bad - I'm clued in enough to know that he has an agenda and will put questions in a certain way where I would never win). Most people understand this to be the case.

Tubridy
    The problem with Tubridy is that each interview segment of famous people is similar to a 'This Is Your Life' show. So regardless of what they're doing right now, Tubridy will remind them of something from their past that they are most famous for.

So Mick McCarthy or Roy Keane (for example) he'd bring us back to Saipan.

If it's an actor, he'll bring it back to their biggest part.

(Reminds me of the time I was standing chatting to Des Bishop and a girl comes over to say hello to me and she turns to Des and says "I love that routine you do on Immersions". He hadn't done the routine in about 10 years.)

As for questioning Gerry Adams - well, I think that everyone should remind Adams that he was leader of the IRA and responsible for multiple murders. Nothing biased about that.

When Tubridy interview comedians, they are prepped to do material - Tubs tees it up and then they tell the gag. Very staged but the acts do it because the producers want it that way.

What you never get from Tubridy's interactions with celebs or famous people, is that you've learned something new about them or their personality.

It's like a game of Pong. It's hitting a question and then the interviewee responds and repeat - there is little deviation from the questions on the card and you know as a viewer that you're not going to find out anything new or interesting.

The engagement failure, as it were, doesn't come about because the guest is not interesting, it comes about because the interviewer has no innate ability to build rapport with the interviewee. I think that this is an overlooked aspect of Tubridy and a reason why he should not be doing the job he does.

Compare that with the Tommy Tiernan show where the interviewer's intention is to make the conversation interesting and usually amusing with little regard for "this is what we need to talk about" or Gay Byrne's approach to his guests which would have been a more "how are you? what have you been upto?" approach and allowing space for the guest to fill in with stories, anecdotes etc.

Again, format dependent, look at Graham Norton - or listen to the way he asks questions and allows guests the space to be themselves, rather than their show biz selves.

Thinking about it - Tubridy's interviews are like job interviews.... tell me about this, you did this, what about the work you did in 1999 while Norton, Byrne and Tiernan are conversations.

Just some rough thoughts.

I'm going to avoid being negative about anybody. I just find it interesting how particularly Gay Byrne and Tommy Tiernan managed to draw out their subjects and elicit more information from them. Gay Byrne had his own way of encouraging the interviewee to open up. I think he knew when to talk and when to say nothing and allow the guest to speak. Witness Padraig Flynn's famous interview, for example. Tommy Tiernan's chat show is unusual in that he has no idea who he is going to be interviewing beforehand. This obviously results in quite a lot of unpredictability to the nature of the interview, given that he cannot have agreed specific questions or subjects beforehand. Adam Clayton's interview turned out to be quite revealing. Graham Norton's show tends to be much more light-hearted but he does have the knack of putting guests at their ease and getting them to swap stories with each other. This all tv of course. Gay Byrne had an ability to tap into what bothered listeners on his radio show. Interestingly, Gerry Ryan had a bit of that trait too on radio. He also was very good on radio in deploying Gay Byrne's tv technique of knowing when to let the interviewee speak, especially for more serious subjects.

A stunning example of ignorance, arrogance, ego, and hubris in one:
    https://soundcloud.com/rte-radio-1/pat-hickey-arrest

How they decided to broadcast this (it was pre-recorded) remains a mystery to me. It seems that no-one has the power to stand up to Mr. Duffy in RTE.

He was rightly lampooned for it in the comments below (and elsewhere):
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/08/25/enhanced-interrogation/

Wow. Incredible. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Someone mentioned tubridy interviewing the cast from 21 jump Street, wasn't it Jonah hill and another actor? If I remember right Jonah hill went after him kind of cruelly, accusing tubs of being so nervous. Was hard to watch but tubs didn't do wrong I think.
    In saying that he's atrocious at his job and can't interview anyone. Lives for the toy show and believes he's Santa Claus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Someone mentioned tubridy interviewing the cast from 21 jump Street, wasn't it Jonah hill and another actor? If I remember right Jonah hill went after him kind of cruelly, accusing tubs of being so nervous. Was hard to watch but tubs didn't do wrong I think.
    In saying that he's atrocious at his job and can't interview anyone. Lives for the toy show and believes he's Santa Claus.

Channing Tatum was with Jonah Hill I think.

Rhys Ifans was another strange interview if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »

Thinking about it - Tubridy's interviews are like job interviews.... tell me about this, you did this, what about the work you did in 1999 while Norton, Byrne and Tiernan are conversations. .

Really appreciate taking the time here, and some great thoughts and observations. I really think you've hit the nail on the head here with Turbidy.

Also, when I'm talking about favoured interviewing styles, I always mention that need for space. Claire Byrne could have really used this approach on Monday night when talking to the woman who had been placed in the mother and baby home. Too hurried, and didn't allow for pause at all.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Joe Duffy (again) interviewing Michael O Leary about the changes to Ryanair seating policy.

Duffy goes off on a rant as he doesn't understand the situation. O Leary made him look like an eejit...

Found the audio for this, giving it a listen now. The Brazilian Police commissioner mentioned was another great example, and Ivor Callely too, for different reasons.

Advertisement