Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee to Fenit Greenway

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

What actually is the story here. I understand it was CIE/Iarnrod Eireann land untill 2014 when it was passed over to the council. The tracks were still down on it as it was never formally abandoned as far as I’m aware, so, how does the guy who now occupies that section actually own it? Is it a squatters rights issue? Why wasn’t it sorted in the transfer of the ownership in 2014 given that everyone was aware what the plan was for the line and the site was occupied at the time.

Sections of the North Kerry line, which actually was abandoned by Iarnrod Eireann are now incorporated into fields, can Farmer Brown say the same thing when they try and develop that? He would have even more rights to keep it as a field would be not?
    Unfortunately, poor lazy journalism is the issue here. See the same thing in the Kerryman with Simon Bruder repeatedly referring to the individual as having a legal right to the land in question. This is factually incorrect, simply because it hasn't been legally tested. The individual is claiming a legal right to the land. Very different thing.

Unfortunately the North Kerry line was abandoned in the late 80s but CIE still owned it until transferring it to KCC in 2014 too. There is also the issue of the BT fibre that runs along it and what effect that would have in asserting ownership rights over the line.

serfboard wrote: »
    Note the bolded bit. I thought Kerry County Council was the landowner?
    So did I, so why is Martin O’Regan of Southwest Pallet Production being consulted about this?

Surely he should be told to get off the property and go down the legal route if he fails to comply?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

So did I, so why is Martin O’Regan of Southwest Pallet Production being consulted about this?

Surely he should be told to get off the property and go down the legal route if he fails to comply?

My take on it... Council have had bad press re delays on the Greenway. They took the option to get the it finished in the soonest time... If they went down the legal route to get rid of the squatter we could have been looking at years of a delay. So I'm happy we will have a greenway but on the other hand I'm not happy with the precedent it sets for future projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He should still be kicked off the land.

keane2097 wrote: »

You are not wrong.

• Advertisement

Some clearance has started from the fat mile side... finally!

https://twitter.com/TraleeFenit/status/1319017350612602880

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Walked the greenway from Rock St to Mounythawk today I found an overgrown .nettle and briar infested ,rubbish strewn dissapointing walk.Hope KCC up their standards when the maintainance of the new Fenit section comes onstream.Wont be much of a tourist attraction if same maintenance standard continues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I quite like that stretch of the greenway, I walked it yesterday and thought it was fine. My biggest issue is the amount of dog crap on it. It's vile if you bring your kid cycling on it you need to hose the bike down after it.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I quite like that stretch of the greenway, I walked it yesterday and thought it was fine. My biggest issue is the amount of dog crap on it. It's vile if you bring your kid cycling on it you need to hose the bike down after it.
    There are a serious amount of trees that have been vandalised by the local scrotes along that stretch as well.

Yeah now that you mention it, the incessant Brits out graffiti looks pretty terrible too. I still find it quite a nice walk though. I'm looking forward to the whole line to Fenit being completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

keane2097 wrote: »

Looking at the satellite view on Google maps, there are two houses at the end of the roadway on which Southwest Pallet Production is located. The road passes across the old railway line to get to these houses. Since the houses (and the factory?) would have had to get planning permission, perhaps the Council created a situation which they now have to get around?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Walked the greenway from Rock St to Mounythawk today I found an overgrown .nettle and briar infested ,rubbish strewn dissapointing walk.Hope KCC up their standards when the maintainance of the new Fenit section comes onstream.Wont be much of a tourist attraction if same maintenance standard continues

Could they find anything other than prison type fencing?

The pub Republican graffiti adds to the charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

LATEST NEWS

https://www.facebook.com/TraleeFenitGreenway/

Unfortunately due to a misprint in the original PR for todays Greenway announcement......
    .....it seems that funding has NOT been awarded for a Greenway between Tralee & Listowel as reported in the media…

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e9057-funding-of-635m-for-greenways-in-2021-confirmed-by-ministers-ryan-and-naughton/

the funding of over €4.5 million was allocated to the Listowel to Limerick County Boundary project which is currently under construction.
    "This will ensure that cyclists will have a quality experience all the way from Rathkeale, Co.Limerick to Listowel, Co.Kerry" - Minister E Ryan T.D.

Is any work being done on this at the moment? I haven't seen any machinery on it for weeks. They put down a few hundred metres of tarmac out in Fenit but it seems to have stalled since then. Sections of it are becoming overgrown again.

Edit: I saw from the facebook page above that they are clearing corridor around Knockanish so it looks like it's moving along alright.

Yeah, there is work being done alright but slowly. They still are doing some clearing on the Tralee side. Also, the bridge needs to be worked on at Kilfenora as well as the underpass at Ballygarran. Expected opening around March next year at the same time as the Listowel -> Abbeyfeale section. The next few months are key to achieving this.

Fingers crossed but I wouldn't be betting the house on it. I cycled a bit of the Limerick greenway recently from Templeglantine to Barnagh and back and it's a fantastic amenity. Lovely surface, away from the noise of the road and just a pleasure to cycle on. There's a nice little cafe at the top of Barnagh hill also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I've cycled from Abbeyfeale to Rathkeate & back a few times now & it's excellent. Beautiful surface. Have'nt visited the little cafe/coffee shop yet.

The Tralee- Fenit greenway seems to progress very slowly. Roadbridge did the Limerick one & seemed to move a lot quicker. Looking forward to seeing the Listowel to Abbeyfeale section opened.

T.

A lot of progress seems to have been made in the last week or two. There is now tarmac laid all the way from Fenit to Kilfenora.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

When completed Tralee-Fenit greenway will be a great boost for the area. I know Kerry people who have never been to Fenit despite living in the county all their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Let's be fair. Except for the beach, Fenit has nothing to attract anyone. Not even a decent shop in it and forget getting a cup of coffee in the winter

• Advertisement

No shortage of nice walking, although on Fenit Island you do have to climb around some illegal fences... 🙄

A guy who goes to those lengths to keep people off his land obviously doesn't want anyone on his land.

I've heard kerry people can be a bit protective over a piece of grass😂

The council served enforcement notice on the owners a few years ago but nothing's happened yet. A court case beckons now...

Not too much hassle to someone like me who's well used to climbing over fences in the countryside! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Apart from the sailing school, club and marina. Wild Water adventures offer Stand up paddle boarding, kayaking and swimming lessons, a blue flag beach and playground and another lovely beach by the small slipway. Pizzas from Navo, restaurant and bar in the West End and Mike's doing food and coffee during the summer months. Nothing! Fair enough if you are looking for Brown Thomas, there's nothing there for you.

And there you have it. Coffee in the summer months just like I said.

What's this west end you mention.? I know the end, of the pier 😂.

But seriously, you've only mentioned water sports.

Bar the gala, there's no shop and no where to get a coffee or eat off season.

I can go to any one of a number of blue flag beaches within 30 minutes of my house. Cant get a coffee at them either.

PS I never shopped in BT.

A friend was buying a house and looking in fenit until she realised there wasn't even anywhere to get some food shopping and she'd have to go into tralee anyway.

Post edited by SouthWesterly on

Bar the beach there's nothing at Fenit beach. Bar the gala there's no shop. Bar Navo there's nowhere to get food and coffee. Bar the water sports there are no sports. Bar the West End there's nowhere to get a pint or excellent sea food. Bar the playground there's nowhere for children to play. Bar the marina there's nowhere to park your boat. Bar Brendan the Navigator there is only one other massive statue.

It's a joke of a beach tbf. Other than Tralee and Fenit the Tralee to Fenit Greenway will hardly go anywhere so that will be another disaster.

What are you on about? Must be a kerry thing 🤣

You should try a shopping centre the next time you fancy a day at the beach. It has all your required beach amenities like coffee shops, restaurants and grocers and besides the ocean, sand, open air and wildlife it has all the same stuff as Fenit as well.

• Advertisement

You're willfully missing the point.

A person walks the greenway and can't even get a cup of coffee or some lunch in fenit before they head home. Why would they bother?

It's a village that hasn't progressed at all bar a few more housing estates.

Even friends whose families have lived there for generations tell me they have to go into tralee if they want to go to a coffee shop.

Advertisement