Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language learning for infants

Options
  • 20-05-2021 4:17pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I know I'm planning waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy ahead, but my wife is expecting our first child. We are both in agreement that it should learn a foreign language from an early age. I speak a good level of both French and German, better French though. I am concerned about teaching it anything myself as it may pick up my eternally long list of mistakes. Furthermore, I don't think there are many options for schools etc from a really young age. My wife wants me to teach it French, but I want to teach the kid German as I think every Tom, Dick and Harry can speak French, also German is more spoken. However, there is the Alliance Française here in Kilkenny, where I probably could send a child from 5 or so.

Has anybody here taught their child a language other than their mother tongue? Are their specific resources that you could recommend? What are the things you did well, and where did you fall down?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Flash cards all the way! Also make it the only language one parent will speak, if you can. Handier if you are a native speaker.

Also check out Sandmännchen on Youtube. It's an institution in Germany!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

is_that_so wrote: »
    Flash cards all the way! Also make it the only language one parent will speak, if you can. Handier if you are a native speaker.

Also check out Sandmännchen on Youtube. It's an institution in Germany!

Thanks, no we're both Irish, but I studied modern languages and set up a sideline giving tours in both French and German. I'm aware of das Sandmännchen, I don't think you could study German and not be. Do you know any good flashcard apps? I have the ZDF app downloaded on the smart TV which has loads of stuff not geo blocked.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Search age-appropriate youtube videos, radio programmes, cartoons, etc. You can often switch the language on TV programmes, too. Or get a German au-pair. :)

Advertisement