Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free parking within walking distance of Cork city centre

Options
  • 12-06-2021 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Never been to Cork before in my life, and thinking of a day trip sometime this summer. No deadlines and nowhere in particular to be, so is there anywhere good to park for free that's a nice walk into town? I'd be coming off the M8 but happy to go round anywhere. Not keen on the park and ride or anything central but pricey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

chaikhosi wrote: »
    Never been to Cork before in my life, and thinking of a day trip sometime this summer. No deadlines and nowhere in particular to be, so is there anywhere good to park for free that's a nice walk into town? I'd be coming off the M8 but happy to go round anywhere. Not keen on the park and ride or anything central but pricey.

Park and ride is your best bet, otherwise Lee fields car park,not officially free but I’ve never had any hassle over the year’s parking there

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

There is a new car park at the junction of Centre Park Road and the marina. It's a very nice ten minute walk into city centre and is free

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fulanoquetal

There is a new car park at the junction of Centre Park Road and the marina. It's a very nice ten minute walk into city centre and is free

Could also head away from town, park at Little Island Train Station and get the train in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The council multistoreys are free for the first 2 hours if it's not the walk you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

I live about 12 mins walk from city centre. I drive in maybe once every month or two. Gave up paying for parking about 5 years ago and have never got a ticket. If you don’t park on the central island, it’s well worth the gamble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

If you’re coming in that way, it’s a sunny day and you like to walk, then park at the SilverSprings Hotel and walk up the river. You’ll get a great view of the city as you approach. 35 minute walk to centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SurplusToys

There's free parking along the Barracks Wall at the top of military hill. About a 20 minute walk into town from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chaikhosi

Thanks lads, think I'll go for the marina one and walk from there. Appreciate the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Pay for the parking, ya tight arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Feckin never knew that, great initiative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bellie1

Highjacking thread. Would city hall q park be pretty full in afternoons these days with vaccinations? Partner has procedure in South infirmary and this seems like closest parking to there. Don't fancy driving around for ages looking for parking in the heat

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Jcb21

It should be ok for parking. A lot of people are using the car park for aldi and going to aldi after the vaccine to get the parking validated. When you shop in aldi they give you 1 hour free parking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭RINO87

^^they validate your parking ticket in the vaccine centre tho??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

The South Infirmary has its own car park on site, or it did a few years ago anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Parking in South Infirmary is free at the moment, but understandably very busy. It's worth a shot getting a spot in there from a car leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Q Park is fine even with the vaccines going on next door. Well...it was both times I went there recently while getting my vaccine. There was loads of spaces on the upper floors (5 and up).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Squedward

Strange Question, anyone know if you stay after two hours are you charged for the additional time or all the time you were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Only charged for the time above the two free hours. I've gone over the limit a few times and have only been charged for that additional hour or two that I was parked there above the free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dingle1969

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No.

Couldn't be arsed finding who sells parking 'discs' and don't want to pay the extortionate rates the private car parks charge. The hospital car park charges are eye watering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

For those coming down the M8 , i would say park at little island train station for free and get the train in from there. Both the Cobh and Midelton lines stop there so at peak times its serviced every 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

This plus a Coke bike subscription (€10/yr) could be a great solution for anyone coming to the city regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Electric cars can park for free when charging at the on street locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

anywhere where they don't check the parking discs. But you have to be local to know where they go and where they never go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You can pay for street parking by phone or the app. Welcome to the 21st century ;)

Advertisement