Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you drinking more during the Pandemic?

Options
  • 16-09-2020 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭

Seen today that the Royal College of Psychiatrist in England say that up to 8.5 million Britons are problem drinking during the lockdown and I was wondering is the number up here too.
    Ive totally upped my drinking having about 4, 5% cans every two nights.

How about you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I've been drinking less. There was a few months where I didn't have a drop at all. Drinking at home doesn't really appeal to me that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

No, drinking far less (not that I drank much to begin with). I'd drink on a night out, but haven't had one of them since February. Used to enjoy two beers on a friday evening chilling at home, but just didn't feel like it once lockdown happened, and haven't really picked up the habit since it ended. Enjoyed a few relaxing beers from time to time over the summer, but can probably count the total number on my fingers and toes. I bought 8 bottles 3 weeks ago to stick in the fridge, and they're all still sitting there. In fairness, I'm probably not typical in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Drinking much less. I wouldn't be a huge drinker at home anyway but would be in the pub a few times a month usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Clazbeag

At the start when it was all new and the sun was shining every day- Yes! G&T's & wine mainly.
    Now we've just cut back to maybe Thursday and Friday night. It was scary how quickly having a few each night were becoming normal. Had to make a conscious decision to do it though as it is so easy to have a glass of wine where normally I would have been meeting friends or going to the gym etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I wasn't a big home drinker before the lockdown but started hitting the cans a lot for the first few months. However, in the last month or so I've just gotten sick of them and now have just a couple of cans a couple of times a week.

To me, going to the pub was just a social thing. Don't get me wrong, I loved my pints but now I don't know if I could be bothered going out when/if my local reopens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

far less. mostly only a social thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Don’t drink, but I have developed an amazon problem, house is now full of unnecessary crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Pandemic hasn't made much difference. I can walk into the office half-scuttered just as easily as I can walk to my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Damn your all making me feel bad... maybe I should cut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'd have to get dressed to go to the shop to buy beer. So far thats been the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Jafin

I've barely touched alcohol since February. I'm not one to drink at home of a Friday/Saturday night or anything, I've never seen the appeal. I generally only drink if I'm with my friends and since visits are now few and far between that has resulted in me being practically teetotal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Archeron

At the beginning I was drinking loads, and spirits too, which was new as I don't drink at home. Got into drinking every night but after about five weeks of that, totally cut it out. Now I'll have a drink every few weeks and am happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The whole lockdown is a bit of a blur for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Drinking like a fish.

I'm currently living in a European city. When the bars closed I would go to the supermarket after work (from home) and get a load of cans (39c each) and sit by the river with my kindle and people watch and get slowly mashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Nope, much the same on the home drinking front i.e. maybe 3-4 beers over a weekend. I've been in a pub twice (not involving food) since March - one of those was a skinful which may be the years only skinful now that I think of it (won't be travelling back to Dublin this xmas). On the home straight for baby no.2's arrival so I'm t-total as of last week and for the next few. Also because of her current state there's been no wine in the house since Feb which I do miss a little but I'd never buy/open a bottle without herself involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Drinking a lot less, drinking at home just makes me sleepy

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You have to try and keep match fit for when the pubs open again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The opposite: I usually only drink on occasions, and there haven't been any occasions, so even less than usual. I did treat myself to a 4-pack of nice beer earlier this month, that's it for the last three months.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the same but I am surprised Britain has just realised it has 8.5 million problem drinkers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

gimli2112 wrote: »
    the same but I am surprised Britain has just realised it has 8.5 million problem drinkers

Thats only the ones getting psychiatric help.

• Advertisement

deffo drinking more, at least 6 cans or bottles a night, cider, ipa, stout, not at the same time.

At least the same but probably more. I’d have gone to the pub probably once a week usually Thursday and had a few beers at home one evening over the weekend also, sometimes more but often it would be the two nights. Of course there would be weeks with pub a few nights but generally 2 nights drinking would be the norm in the run up to look down.

Since lockdown in March I’ve pretty much drank a reasonable few beers every single Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening/night and that has continued even though things have lifted a bit. Hard to see a reason to go back not drinking the 3 weekend nights now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope. It's rare enough I'd have been out in a pub anymore before CV-19 so no change there. Might have a bottle of cider or two on Friday nights on the weekly shyte talk zoom call with the lads but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

100%. Myself and wife have graduated from one bottle a night to now one each a night. We barely drank before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Drinking less. I've had my fill already.

I'd highly encourage people not to over indulge during these worrying times, it will only make matters worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

I wasn't at the start...then I started, was going through a couple of beers 4-5 nights a week...then I stopped again.

So maybe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I gave up drinking for good when the lockdown started.

Now I drink for evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I’ve been like George Best since this all kicked off. Once in a lifetime chance to have a six pack on a Tuesday and not worry much about the morning - just clock in and be online at a reasonable hour, then all good.

Trying to reduce now, the ol liver is starting to get fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I have almost cut alcohol out entirely. I love a pint but going to the pub recently has become a chore and youd as much fun going to the dentist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Drank a bit more for a few weeks in April, still only weekends. Got very boring. Drinking a good bit less than before now. Same as above hardly bothered with boozers with the hoops you have to jump through.

Advertisement