Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bring these logos back

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

kowloon wrote: »
    Intel spent a ton of money on this change:

Two-Intel-logos-1024x558.jpg

Did that go with the whole 'Intel inside' slogan which makes sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

5ec62abede3cb-graphic-designer-redesigned-worst-logos-emanuele-abrate-coverimage-1.jpg

Both are equally open to (mis) interpretation. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

GarIT wrote: »
    Reminds me of this
    F1_Formula_1_logo_black_background-700x336.png

Embarrassingly it took 20 years of seeing that logo for my girlfriend to casually say "It's cool how they made the 1 out of the space between the white and red". I went two thirds of my life thinking that's a **** logo becasue the red 1 was so weird.

HAHAHA You spanner.

Pity the hammer and sickle is not as reviled as the swastika.

Or the Stars and Stripes.

5ec62abede3cb-graphic-designer-redesigned-worst-logos-emanuele-abrate-coverimage-1.jpg

Jaysus, the first one looks like a kid giving a blowjob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

It would be a good idea for the FAI to change the chrest, with all the old brass given the boot. A fresh look is needed not a Fifa/PES default looking thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

The 1987 Microsoft logo was the peak for me, really don't like the current one but I can kind of see why they changed it the way they did.
    Microsoft-Logo-history.jpg

Windows 95-2000 brings some serious nostalgia.
    windows.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

AMKC wrote: »
    Actually your wrong. VW very recently spent millions very subtly rebounding there logo.

*you're

You're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Oh are you one of those who mix up paediatric with paedophile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Was just about to say that.
    I miss the AIB Logo too.

I said before that logos are all becoming feminised and more girly. I was ridiculed for saying that.

The an post previous green logo was almost iconic and should never have been altered. The management are idiots.

The circular CIE logo is also almost iconic and although its use is minimal in comparison to before it hasn't yet been decommissioned.

I actually like the new AIB logo.

The EBS logo (owned by AIB aka taxpayers) is utter crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Conchir wrote: »
    The 1987 Microsoft logo was the peak for me, really don't like the current one but I can kind of see why they changed it the way they did.
    Microsoft-Logo-history.jpg

Windows 95-2000 brings some serious nostalgia.
    IMG

Microsoft 1980 looks like the name of a metal group. :D

Nah, the big change at that time was just moving the "e" up. They had an announcement about losing the dropped e. Big deal, lots of money spent. Equipment had to be changed, all the paperwork had to be changed, boards had to be marked with the new logo instead of the old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

It's odd how brands like Ford, BMW, VW, Ryanair, Spar, London Underground etc haven't changed their logos in decades or best part of 100 years in cases and the likes of Irish Rail, An Post, Telecom Eireann/Eircom/whatever the fcuk they call themselves now, have to keep wasting money needlessly pissing around with their corporate image.

All of those brands you mentioned have changed or at least updated their logos.
    Sometimes it might just be a slight change or a new font or colour update but they've all had changes.

All companies have to change or update their branding at least occasionally as our way of life changes. The big change in recent years is obviously moving to more digital formats, usage online and apps etc so most companies will have to update to accommodate those changes. Then sometimes you'll have bigger corporations come in and buy out other business and they'll want to add their mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's odd how brands like Ford, BMW, VW, Ryanair, Spar, London Underground etc haven't changed their logos in decades or best part of 100 years in cases
    Real Life wrote: »
    All of those brands you mentioned have changed or at least updated their logos.

Tis true. Of that list, Spar seems to be the one who have their current version the longest (1968), followed by London Underground (1985), but BMW even changed their logo this year:

50342046436_738453d183_o.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Second one looks like someone being bummed and they're both enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Suggestions of logos you’d love to see make a comeback

For me it would have to be The Department of Social Protections logo. Remember the Dove and scrounger hand? Everything is a harp these days with that government ffs.

There is a Dubln band called The Scratch who invariably use the Dept of Social Welfare logo for their own branding, except they have added to it slightly

Yours for a fiver https://thescratchmerch.bigcartel.com/product/logo-patches

IMG_4771.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&w=1200

Great band too, they a mix between Irish and heavy metal and are excellent live
    https://thescratch.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Great marketing campaign.

They convinced everyone that what mattered was the Intel CPU and not the brand of computer. It turned brand names into generics. Prices dropped and margins shrank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The next logo will have a hammock in front of a free house.

Surely a trampoline, a pop up gazebo and a cheap cooler from Aldi with a load of Kopparberg and Dutch Gold in it would be more fitting.

Speaking of swastikas, RTE used to have one as part of their logo, passing it off as the St Brigids Cross.

084_97d2a31df5f6a4d893536356920be16244057b7f.jpg

It's hard to get a logo that stays the test of time, London Underground, Channel 4, VW, BMW are good examples of something that can still be very easily identified even after a subtle modification. Evolution, not revolution is the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Topaz service station logo - not that it was all that great in itself (it really wasn't) but its replacement - the incredibly uninspiring Circle K design that looks 3rd rate 1970s standard...

But that's not a new logo but an entirely different business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

KevRossi wrote: »
    Speaking of swastikas, RTE used to have one as part of their logo, passing it off as the St Brigids Cross.

It's hard to get a logo that stays the test of time, London Underground, Channel 4, VW, BMW are good examples of something that can still be very easily identified even after a subtle modification. Evolution, not revolution is the rule.

I don't see how you can cosntrue that RTE logo as a Nazi emblem as it's a differet shape altogether.

Either way glad it's gone. There should not be religious references in RTE's logoes even though remain a very Catholic biased broadcaster.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't see how you can cosntrue that RTE logo as a Nazi emblem as it's a differet shape altogether.

Either way glad it's gone. There should not be religious references in RTE's logoes even though remain a very Catholic biased broadcaster.

St Brigids Cross is a Swastika. The comment was a bit in jest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

KevRossi wrote: »
    St Brigids Cross is a Swastika.

It really isn’t. A swastika has the arms bent at a right angle. St. Brigid’s Cross doesn’t, the arms are merely offset at the centre.

Advertisement