Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 3a €249 on Vodafone (In Stock!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Is this the best phone at this price? Better than the Realme 6,or Redmi Note 8?
    Cheers,
    Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BatMaths

Oh man, their support is appalling. I've contacted their chat 3 times and still have no device. It's been 3 weeks. And they gave me a fake tracking number too. Can't even get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I got my order refunded and told out of stock, someone sell me one please

• Registered Users Posts: 32 brianocon77

I got messages for Pixel 3A. I was travelling and hence could not respond.

I had sold it to CEX same day post was uploaded for 153e. Not sure why the rated it as B category. I dnt mind as it was not more less than what I paid for.

Apologies for not able to respond to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

How are people finding the battery with this phone?

I opened mine a few days ago, I haven't even connected WiFi nor signed in with Google, just took a few pictures and within 3 days. the battery is down to 14%. It shows that screen time used since last charged is 22mins. I also noticed it took an age to charge the first time (definitely not fast charging!). I charged it for second time today, much faster and it went from 13% to full in about an hour. I see how it is later today.

Anybody help for this. Great phone but battery seems to draining in idle. (As mentioned I haven't download any apps etc). Could my device be faulty?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭micks_address

I opened mine a few days ago, I haven't even connected WiFi nor signed in with Google, just took a few pictures and within 3 days. the battery is down to 14%. It shows that screen time used since last charged is 22mins. I also noticed it took an age to charge the first time (definitely not fast charging!). I charged it for second time today, much faster and it went from 13% to full in about an hour. I see how it is later today.

Anybody help for this. Great phone but battery seems to draining in idle. (As mentioned I haven't download any apps etc). Could my device be faulty?

Thanks
    If your phone was switched on like data updates happening in background. Also just uses power connected to phone network. Check your battery usage in settings to see where it's going..most people charge smart phones daily..

Thanks

Do you have a sim in it?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Do you have a sim in it?
    Even if there's no SIM in it, it'll still be constantly searching for networks to be able to make emergency calls. If it's not being used with a SIM, best to turn on airplane mode and then re-enable WiFi if that's required.

Regardless, who actually cares what the battery life is like for people that haven't even set up the phone?

Battery life is decent enough. I'm 12 hours off charge, over 4 hours screen on time and 43% battery left. If I didn't charge it tonight, a half hour blast on the charger in the morning would be enough to get me through tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

dinneenp wrote: »
    Is this the best phone at this price? Better than the Realme 6,or Redmi Note 8?
    Cheers,
    Pa

Depends what you are looking for. Unless you want stock Android and the pixel camera, the Redmi has better hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Do you have a sim in it?

No sim
    If your phone was switched on like data updates happening in background. Also just uses power connected to phone network. Check your battery usage in settings to see where it's going..most people charge smart phones daily..

I still haven't put a sim in it yet. I just checked today that battery went from full to 76% in 24 hours in idle. Seems like a lot tbh. My old Xperia E4g battery would probably use 5% (it even has a smaller battery) .Screen was only on for 2 mins.

I still haven't put a sim in it yet. I just checked today that battery went from full to 76% in 24 hours in idle. Seems like a lot tbh. My old Xperia E4g battery would probably use 5% (it even has a smaller battery) .Screen was only on for 2 mins.

What do you mean by idle? Do you mean in airplane mode or not? Do you have WiFi turned on but just not connected to any network? It would be near impossible for a phone to lose only 5% battery in 24 hours if the phone is not in airplane mode for the reason that Quackster mentioned. What do the battery stats actually say used up that 24% of battery?

If you don't have it in airplane mode, put it in airplane mode and see if it makes a difference. Then you'll know if it's caused by the phone scanning for networks or not.

No sim

What exactly are you worried about? Just set the phone up, put a SIM in it, and then you'll get an idea of what the battery life is like.

If you really want to max out the battery life on a phone you're not using, turn it off and put it in a drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

beauf wrote: »
    Depends what you are looking for. Unless you want stock Android and the pixel camera, the Redmi has better hardware.

What I want-
    - fingerprint unlocking (or similar, e.g. facial) (not a deal breaker but would like it)
    - quick charging (not a deal breaker but would like it)
    - decent battery life
    - phone- at least 5.5" inch (that's current phone size). If a bit smaller, that's ok.

Main use is browsing internet, Whatsapp, the odd photo, some apps but not games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

dinneenp wrote: »
    What I want-
    - fingerprint unlocking (or similar, e.g. facial) (not a deal breaker but would like it)
    - quick charging (not a deal breaker but would like it)
    - decent battery life
    - phone- at least 5.5" inch (that's current phone size). If a bit smaller, that's ok.

Main use is browsing internet, Whatsapp, the odd photo, some apps but not games.

I bought the Redmi Note 9 because of its specs on Amazon a month ago. I read this Forbes article over Xiaomi privacy concerns and cancelled the order before it was shipped and decided to go for Pixel 3A instead. Sure Google collect a lot of data, but you do have a level of control - I just found that Xiaomi article disturbing.

Very happy with the choice, loving vanilla Android and camera is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Finally someone sent me a sim! I just hope they get more stock in now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

In case it doesn't come back in there's a pretty decent sale in the Moto range at the moment.

The One Hyper down to 269, One Zoom at 299 and the G8 Plus with 2 years accidental damage was 269 earlier but that seems to be gone now.

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/phones/

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

got this pixel 3a for my wife.. never got a cover.. she dropped it and it smashed. est cost to repair 105-150... are these lenovo phones a better bet than repair the 3a ?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

got this pixel 3a for my wife.. never got a cover.. she dropped it and it smashed. est cost to repair 105-150... are these lenovo phones a better bet than repair the 3a ?

Chances are it will happen again even with a cover. The screens are extremely delicate

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Chances are it will happen again even with a cover. The screens are extremely delicate

yea i saw the fall and it wasnt much .. was onto tiles tho.. might be better off getting a new one .. are the lenovo ones mentioned here good bang for buck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yeah, the current Motorola ones get pretty good reviews, depending on the model of course. I've owned a few over the years and liked them. One or two of them compete with the 3a. Their accidental cover seems reasonable compared to gadget insurance, 2 claims in 2 years. no excess, but excludes loss and theft.

Re covers, I have a cover from these https://www.itskins.com/ and I've dropped my phone several times from a height and it survived. I've tiny crack on one corner which is the sum of the damage over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

yea i saw the fall and it wasnt much .. was onto tiles tho.. might be better off getting a new one .. are the lenovo ones mentioned here good bang for buck

My wife did the exact same thing. Dropped on to a tiled floor and bye bye screen. 150 repair Vs 130 new phone; it was a no-brainer to pick this up on special.

Bought a spigen tough armour case - impressive looking thing - but if anyone can find a way to destroy a smart phone ... my wife can.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Ardent wrote: »
    My wife did the exact same thing. Dropped on to a tiled floor and bye bye screen. 150 repair Vs 130 new phone; it was a no-brainer to pick this up on special.

Bought a spigen tough armour case - impressive looking thing - but if anyone can find a way to destroy a smart phone ... my wife can.

Wife sat on the first one and smashed it in first few days before cover arrived, ordered second one and she managed to smash this too within a week:( I've left her with a smashed screen now for last 6 months. Was blaming her but it seems these phones have pathetic screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭jacool

Wife sat on the first one and smashed it in first few days before cover arrived, ordered second one and she managed to smash this too within a week:( I've left her with a smashed screen now for last 6 months. Was blaming her but it seems these phones have pathetic screens.

This is what I read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i got my wife an rugged phone, specs are okay but its absolutely indestructible!

the you tube reviews show people putting it in a pot of boiling water, and dropping down a flight of concrete stairs etc.

some people just need indestructible as standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is this still as good a deal as it was last November when it was originally posted? It seems to be €229 on the VF site now, but out of stock?

A family member is looking for a new phone, they aren't a heavy user at all but would like a phone to last them years of hassle free use. I'm a fan of rugged and high battery capacity phones myself because my work/lifestyle, so would be leaning to something similar by default but I know not everyone needs that, but at least some water/dust proof and shock absorption would be nice to make it last.

A nice camera would be great for them, their budget is around €300 but they could stretch a bit more if it was going to be a much better phone.

Any suggestions would be great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Mine fell from the attic hitting the ladder on the way down the other day, couldnt believe it did zero damage

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cormie wrote: »
    Is this still as good a deal as it was last November when it was originally posted? It seems to be €229 on the VF site now, but out of stock?

A family member is looking for a new phone, they aren't a heavy user at all but would like a phone to last them years of hassle free use. I'm a fan of rugged and high battery capacity phones myself because my work/lifestyle, so would be leaning to something similar by default but I know not everyone needs that, but at least some water/dust proof and shock absorption would be nice to make it last.

A nice camera would be great for them, their budget is around €300 but they could stretch a bit more if it was going to be a much better phone.

Even at €230, this phone is very good value for money.

cormie wrote: »

It's €230, with €100 off when switching, so €130

I got it last October when it was €350 down to €250 when switching, which was very good at the time. Since then, have got one for €180 and one for €130.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's €230, with €100 off when switching, so €130

I got it last October when it was €350 down to €250 when switching, which was very good at the time. Since then, have got one for €180 and one for €130.

What, really? This BA is for it at €249, but you're saying the same link to buy it is now €130 with the €100 off? I thought the €230 price was with the €100 off :eek:

Advertisement