Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying work colleagues habits

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Ah! You beat me to it! :D:D:D:D

Great minds...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

One who thinks making as much noise as possible equates to doing work. Putting something on a desk? Nah,hold it 4 inches above it and drop it. Need to put something on the floor,why leave it down gently when you can do the same as the desk technique. Closing a door,why do it like everyone else when you can slam it.
    The confrontational personality doesn't help when someone says something to them.
    They'd be better suited to breaking rocks where they could make as much noise as they like.

Worked for a while near someone like that, different teams but sat near one another.
    Crash, bang, thud, wallop - that was just her arriving at her desk in the morning. Her job entailed a lot of time on phone calls, smash, thud, crash - that was just the receiver being replaced. And repeat.
    She was actually a very nice person, but the noise used to drive me mad. I couldn't understand how she was completely oblivious to it, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Lad I used to work for used to ring in sick at least once a week because:

a) He was sick
    b) His wife was sick
    c) Some tiles fell of his roof
    d) His Dad's car needed to be brought to the garage
    e) The Luas knocked him off his bike
    f) He got a bang of a Luas

Very unfortunate chap

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

optogirl wrote: »
    Lad I used to work for used to ring in sick at least once a week because:

a) He was sick
    b) His wife was sick
    c) Some tiles fell of his roof
    d) His Dad's car needed to be brought to the garage
    e) The Luas knocked him off his bike
    f) He got a bang of a Luas

Very unfortunate chap

I was like this for years in my mid twenties - undiagnosed celiacs and IBS made my life a misery, half the time I claimed it was anything else under the sun rather than admit I hadnt slept in days, was ****ting myself to the point of dehydration and had awful stomach pain. Just a thought.... Or he could be a very unfortunate chap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Tells me "Family crisis" and fecks off home for a few hours, or all day. Repeat every week.
    If you ask "what crisis" you are told it is a personal matter.
    The middle-east had less "crisis" that that slacker.
    The amount of work he did when in work was minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

****ting all over the place is a concern over on another thread I would put that up as an annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

People sorting out their (grown, working) children's car insurance details out at work.
    In another civil service job I had one colleague used to get phone calls from their partner and all three children (2 adults). The calls used to come in on their desk phone & more often than not this colleague was on break/ yapping to someone in the toilets. Our phones had a pick up loop too so if the HEO was around I had to pick it up (in case it was a member of the public), if not I'd let it ring out. It's ok a couple of times a week but five times a day was a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Used to employ a foreman who would joke to me about making the guys on site work late and come in on Saturdays. It seriously grated and it was only a symptom.
    A very arrogant man he was and I suspected the lads on site must be pissed with him. So one week he was off I showed up on site to do a few bits of work, didn’t let on who I was, but found out a lot of problems there.
    Presented him with a report in his first day back that I told him I expected to be addressed immediately, basically all off them were workers issues. He got the message quickly that all employees were as important to me as he was. Didn’t give him a pay rise when he tried to use the fact he had another job as leverage. Said something like ‘Mikey, to be honest it probably is best if you do go, you know yourself there have been a lot of issues and this is probably the best thing for both of us’. He was clearly stunned, I was thrilled to see the back of him, no way I was giving him a cent more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

He actually has a somewhat public profile. Not famous, but involved in some endeavours that would mean that a fair few people around the country would know him. Which is why I don’t want to say too much. How these people put up with him is a mystery to us.

And he has taken to working from home a bit lately, much to everyone’s delight.

One time two new girls started in the office the same day. Shy and nervous on their first day, he cornered them in the canteen. His first question to women is usually “are you married?”. If they say yes, he doesn’t talk to them any more ever. If they say no, then he starts with his patented brand of man-magic. Which in this case, consisted of asking the first girl “do you want children?”. When she recoiled in horror, he moved to the other girl “How about you? I’d like to have children, and am looking for someone to have them with.” They went straight to their boss about it, and he was hauled in to explain himself, but no action was taken. Like I say, I don’t know why he hadn’t been fired. There’s been plenty of rounds of redundancy in the company - they could have got rid of him at any time.

I wish I could describe his physical appearance, because it adds a whole extra dimension to these stories. But again, it’s quite distinctive, so there’s a chance he’d be recognised. He’s not Irish, and hasn’t managed to reproduce yet despite his best efforts, so I think our gene pool is safe from him.

Sounds like he may be autistic or has some mental health problems. Because of this he may not understand inappropriateness and personal hygiene requirements even if you told him 'till you were blue in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,853 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

With that guy you need to lay it down with the smack of a cleaver....

Ask him directly why he was asking the new employees about their marital status. Remind him that people respect his boundaries and don’t approach him regarding enquiring about his personal life outside work. Advise him to return that courtesy to each and every employee as it can be seen as an intrusion and make people uncomfortable. Remind him that it’s disrespectful to be asking people about their family especially people who don’t know you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Chewing pens, or more accurately chomping on pens. Then leaving a trail of the poor unfortunate pen to wherever they have wandered in the building... It's like hansel and gretel.. Needs a trail to find way back to their desk!

Which actually going by length of tea breaks they probably do!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

Gifted technical types who don't complete their sentences before some new twist strikes them and they're off on another partial sentence. Years ago I was in a meeting with two of them. I believe they're still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Is anyone else reading this to see if they unwillingly recognise themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

What the fcuk is with people slamming toilet seats down when you are in the next cubicle?

What the fcuk is with people slamming toilet seats down when you are in the next cubicle?

Using their foot to bring down and avoid touching???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I do this (but carefully, without a bang). I also press the flush with my foot. I reckon this exercise is why I can touch my nose with my right foot, but can barely get my left foot past my knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I've been using my hands for 30+ years and the last time I checked, I wasn't dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mickla

Nail clipping at desk experienced that too. Nail clippings sometimes made it over the divider on to my desk. In another job female co worker came in and sprayed very strong perfume every morning, headache inducing stuff. Always seemed to clean desk with Mr sheen etc when everyone was eating lunch at their desks in a small office.

I've been using my hands for 30+ years and the last time I checked, I wasn't dead.

Don't do it myself, just offering an explanation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Vita nova wrote: »
    I worked with a guy who was an extremely louder typer. He always seemed to bang the keys and you always knew when he finished a sentence or a paragraph because he would hit the space bar or return key extra hard.
    Fortunately, I only had to work with him for a few months, any longer and I would have gone insane.

Hi ex co-worker!

Ive actually received complaints for smashing keyboards before, so this could well be me :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Ficheall wrote: »
    I do this (but carefully, without a bang). I also press the flush with my foot. I reckon this exercise is why I can touch my nose with my right foot, but can barely get my left foot past my knee.
    This is you from 1:50 onwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SirChenjin wrote: »
    Worked for a while near someone like that, different teams but sat near one another.
    Crash, bang, thud, wallop - that was just her arriving at her desk in the morning. Her job entailed a lot of time on phone calls, smash, thud, crash - that was just the receiver being replaced. And repeat.
    She was actually a very nice person, but the noise used to drive me mad. I couldn't understand how she was completely oblivious to it, tbh.

A new girl started in our office recently and she’s the same - makes some racket when she comes in in the morning, it’s highly irritating, I wonder what she’s doing to be honest - moving stuff around the desk, rustling paper, opening and closing her filing cabinets really noisily grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Worked briefly in the kitchen of a cafe about a decade ago. The manageress was a nice enough woman but she would insist on having the radio on the whole time and would sing along to every single song that came on no matter how crap it was. She would laugh very loudly at the unfunny early morning radio DJ shyte (Corks Red FM, awful station) and in between natter on about celebrity gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

The manageress was a nice enough woman but she would insist on having the radio on the whole time .

I was having builders on site some years ago and they played laud fancy builders radio (Makita?) all the time. I asked why and they said they need it for better focus on work. Next day I walked from work or shop passing some other small constructions in the area and they were all quiet but my guys played their radio as usual so I was wondering are they real builders? I even was thinking about confronting them with other "quiet" builders but some more important issues arose and finally I never solved the mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭howyanow

Icaras wrote: »
    In some places you have to "one up guy" (normally a guy), you've done something good they've done better, you've climbed a mountian they've climbed a bigger one twice - that sort of thing.
    In my place we have a woman who's husband is the one up guy. Someone went to a football game, her husband went to a world cup game, someone ate some food, her husband ate 200 chicken nuggets (he's a 6ft, played rugby of course he can eat 200 chicken nuggets!). I dont know if any of it is true but it is really annoying.

I actually find these people hilarious,the desperation for attention and they actually think people hang on their every word!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

howyanow wrote: »
    I actually find these people hilarious,the desperation for attention and they actually think people hang on their every word!

"I had syphilis once"

"Oh yeah?! Well I had it EIGHT times.......!!!!! Oh hang on ............... er.......... nope."

Advertisement