Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

places to go in portlaoise

Options
  • 08-02-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Soon ill be in Portlaoise for a few Friday and Saturdays. Any good places to eat and drink about, places to see etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Nowhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Kav28

Good places to eat;
    Mayur (Indian), Seasons, Relish, O'Loughlins, Spago's, plenty of Chineese restaurants, O'Gormans in Kilminchy, Killeshin Hotel, The Mile Bush, slightly further out Traceys (The Heath), Batoni's (Emo).

Pubs - Kavanaghs, next few acts performing there include The 4 of Us, Paddy Casey, Declan O'Rourke, Brian Kennedy, Ham Sandwich and plenty more (I'm biased on this one though!). Plenty of other good pubs in town too. The Dunamaise Arts Centre also has lots going on and there's often plenty of good shows in the Heritage Hotel, upcoming comedy ones include Jason Byrne, Bernard O'Shea.

Hope this is of some help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Visit the prison there on opening days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Nowhere?

What sort of place do you like drinking/ eating in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I'll try anywhere I'm easy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

It's not a great town for restauarants (and never was IMO) but the Mayur is well worth a vist if you like Indian cuisine, try their Goan seafood curry!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Storming

The Storeyard in Kea Lew Business Park just off the Mountrath Road is a great place to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon. Full of unusual bits and pieces. Tynans Restaurant is also there and opens during the day. The food there is definitely the best in town and a major pity they don't open in the evening. Worth a visit, I always tell people visiting Portlaoise about this place and it never disappoints

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Storming wrote: »
    The Storeyard in Kea Lew Business Park just off the Mountrath Road is a great place to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon. Full of unusual bits and pieces. Tynans Restaurant is also there and opens during the day. The food there is definitely the best in town and a major pity they don't open in the evening. Worth a visit, I always tell people visiting Portlaoise about this place and it never disappoints

I know this is a little bit old, but on the recommendation of this thread, I dropped into Tynan's the other week. Was full sure I was in the wrong place driving into the business park, but sallied on.

Gosh what nice food they do there. The antiques place reminded me of all the peculiar stuff elderly aunts and uncles had on farms.

Would strongly consider driving to Portlaoise for lunch if I was in west Dublin. Tynan's well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It's not a great town for restauarants (and never was IMO) but the Mayur is well worth a vist if you like Indian cuisine, try their Goan seafood curry!

I think that's changing. Few new places have sprouted up and all do a decent meal. Same going for cafés, Api's Chocolate actually do a menu of omelettes and wraps which are just delicious. I've warmed up a lot more to Portlaoise for stuff like this in the past year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Storming wrote: »

Is that open Sundays anyone know? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

road_high wrote: »
    Is that open Sundays anyone know? Cheers

Closed Sundays and Mondays.

Advertisement