Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-11-2020, 01:24   #721
pinkypinky

Definitely. And the number of centimorgans are higher there for the same match as on other sites. I think they count tiny segments.
Advertisement
21-11-2020, 23:12   #722
Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
Definitely. And the number of centimorgans are higher there for the same match as on other sites. I think they count tiny segments.
Yes, I have what I think are 3 coinciding matches among my high figures. A MyHeritage match of 52.6 cM is an Ancestry match of 41, and a MyHeritage match of 61.0 is an Ancestry match of 32. The third might be odder: a Gedmatch of 71.1 is an Ancestry match of 49. Do these seem plausible? I haven't succeeded in contacting any of these three: the only one where I can guess where the connection is didn't reply.
Yesterday, 10:19   #723
Mollymoo19

Ancestry also evaluates DNA segments and removes those they consider too common in a population, i.e. likely to be identical by chance. Now they tell you how much they have removed. Where you see

Predicted relationship: Close Family–1st Cousin
Shared DNA: XXX cM across X segments - click on the link here, and it will show the 'unweighted shared DNA'.

Maybe this is the issue,
Though, while I think the MyHeritage tools are the best, I do have shared segments of up to 30cM on MyH that are not shared with either of my parents.
Yesterday, 11:06   #724
paddysdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollymoo19 View Post
Ancestry also evaluates DNA segments and removes those they consider too common in a population, i.e. likely to be identical by chance. Now they tell you how much they have removed. Where you see

Shared DNA: XXX cM across X segments - click on the link here, and it will show the 'unweighted shared DNA'.

Maybe this is the issue,
Though, while I think the MyHeritage tools are the best, I do have shared segments of up to 30cM on MyH that are not shared with either of my parents.
Thanks for the above but still find it hard to get my head around some of this DNA stuff.

Taking your explanation looked at 3rd cousin match on Ancestry.He matches 193cM across 8 DNA segments with unweighted shared amount at 193cM and longest segment at 68cM.
According to Ancestry estimate that amount would be 2nd cousin etc 66% of the time,2nd cousin once removed etc 22% and 3rd cousin 2% of the time.
For such a small percentage chance the header shows him as predicted 3rd/4th cousin.
Understand that amounts vary and that it(relationship degree not actual DNA testing)is not an exact science as of yet but still wonder.Do they take into account shared ancestor etc for the predicted relationship or wonder if it soley based on DNA ?
Yesterday, 11:11   #725
Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollymoo19 View Post

That's interesting, but it still doesn't equate to the MyHeritage figures:
Ancestry 32, Ancestry Unweighted 37, MyHeritage 61.0
Ancestry 41, Ancestry Unweighted 44, MyHeritage 52.6
Ancestry 49, Ancestry Unweighted 62, Gedmatch 71.1
Advertisement
Yesterday, 11:30   #726
paddysdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnest View Post
Yes, I have what I think are 3 coinciding matches among my high figures. A MyHeritage match of 52.6 cM is an Ancestry match of 41, and a MyHeritage match of 61.0 is an Ancestry match of 32. The third might be odder: a Gedmatch of 71.1 is an Ancestry match of 49. Do these seem plausible? I haven't succeeded in contacting any of these three: the only one where I can guess where the connection is didn't reply.
Just checked a few known DNA matches and shared amounts across a few sites.

My test was with Ancestry and uploaded it to all the other sites.

First one is 3rd cousin.
On Ancestry we share 193cM across 8 segments.Unweighted is 193cM and longest is 68cM
My Heritage says 221.6cM and 8 segments.Largest segment is 68.4cM
FTDNA says 247cM ;longest block is 65
Gedmatch says 226.5cM largest segment is 71.8
His test like mine(apart from FTDNA) was done with Ancestry and uploaded to other sites.

His sister(obv. 3rd cousin again)
Ancestry 32cM across 4 segments.Unweighted is 51cM and longest is 22cM
My Heritage 66.5 across 5 segments.Largest segment is 26.8cM.
FTDNA 105cM longest block is 24
Gedmatch says 51.7 ;largest segment is 26.5
Again hers (apart from FTDNA) done with Ancestry and uploaded to other sites.

Another known 3rd cousin.
Ancestry gives 57.5 across 3 segments.Unweighted is 73cM and longest 27cM
My Heritage 82.7cM across 5 segments.27.7 is largest segment
Gedmatch says 83.1cM ;largest segment is 30.3
Test on Ancestry and uploaded to other sites.

Daughter of 3rd cousin.
Ancestry gives 37cM across 2 segments.Unweighted is 53cM and longest is 32cM.
My Heritage its 56.3 across 2 segments.32.5 largest segment.
FTDNA its 57.2cM with longest block 32cM
Gedmatch gives 55.2cM ;largest segment is 31.5

Last one is unknown relative.
Again test on Ancestry and uploaded to other sites.
Ancestry gives 44cM across 2 segments.Unweighted is 70cM and longest is 42cM
My Heritage gives 45.1cM across 2 segments.Largest segment 45.1cM
Gedmatch gives 66.2cM with largest segment 33.2cM

All above are on my fathers side and would assume some distant inter marriage etc as all his family including the above's ancestors were from within 5 miles or less as the crow flies from where we still live.

Last edited by paddysdream; Yesterday at 11:48.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion