Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kidney problems

Options
  • 03-06-2019 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hey, so it looks like at 20,I may be faced with kidney problems for possibly the rest of my life. A few months ago I stupidly drank windshield washer/deicer fluid from Dealz that contained the toxic alcohols methanol and antifreeze (ethylene glycol).

The doctors in Beaumont said I'm lucky to be alive and more importantly not be blind but it seems that my kidneys may have taken a toll. They said I have to watch the amount of protein and salts (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus) that I eat or else toxins could build up.

I wonder how people who have CKD cope with this. Does it impact your life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Hey, so it looks like at 20,I may be faced with kidney problems for possibly the rest of my life. A few months ago I stupidly drank windshield washer/deicer fluid from Dealz that contained the toxic alcohols methanol and antifreeze (ethylene glycol).

The doctors in Beaumont said I'm lucky to be alive and more importantly not be blind but it seems that my kidneys may have taken a toll. They said I have to watch the amount of protein and salts (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus) that I eat or else toxins could build up.

Sorry for your situation OP.

Yes, it will impact on your life if you allow it to. The doctors in Beaumont were correct when they said you were lucky but if you listen to them and follow exactly what they say - you should hold off dialysis and/or transplant for as long as possible, maybe even forever. It all depends on your bloods and the choices you make going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Sorry for your situation OP.

Yes, it will impact on your life if you allow it to. The doctors in Beaumont were correct when they said you were lucky but if you listen to them and follow exactly what they say - you should hold off dialysis and/or transplant for as long as possible, maybe even forever. It all depends on your bloods and the choices you make going forward.

Thanks.

Is it also possible to donate blood to the IBTS with kidney problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

Yes definitely will impact your life. What is your gfr% and creatinine level? This will give you an extent of the damage

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Thanks.

Is it also possible to donate blood to the IBTS with kidney problems?

I don't know, that would have been the least of my worries when my kidneys failed. When kidneys are diseased or damaged, they do not make enough EPO. As a result, the bone marrow makes fewer red blood cells, causing anemia in many kidney patients. You should check with your nephrologist if donating would be safe in your case.

Advertisement