Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finding a GP who will take new patients

Options
  • 29-05-2019 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I have recently moved to the Drogheda area and and currently looking to get a medical check done. I'm close to turning 40 and since that is the ominous age where suddenly it is recommended to do all sorts of check-ups I decided to get this process going. I thought I'd start by making an appointment with a local GP to get my bloods tested and then take it from there.

I am just off the phone to 6 different medical centres and/or clinics and was turned down by all of them. I am quite speechless. Apparently doctors in Drogheda are completely full and don't really want any new customers, thank you very much. :confused:
    It might be important to mention that I am originally from Germany, where the custom of having one doctor and always going to this one doctors has sort of fizzled out over the last couple of decades. I don't actually "have a GP" and since I moved to Ireland a decade ago I've been to various different walk-in clinics if I ever needed anything seen to, but I never signed up to become a regular patient with any of them. Apparently this is now turning out to be a problem? The last of the secretaries mentioned to me that they'd require my medical history which doesnt exist as such. I am of good health and if such a medical history exists then I dont even know where to ask for it.

So here I am, baffled that doctors would refuse a patient, unable to get an appointment, unable to produce my medical history :o. What is an immigrant to do? Any suggestions how I could find a doctor who is interested in adding new patients to their database?

Edit: if this is not the correct board I apologise and please feel free to move the thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Its nothing got to do with you being an immigrant.
    There is a shortage of GPs in ireland, they have all gone elsewhere due to chronic underfunding and abuse from.the HSE.
    All of their books are full. most stay back late to do paperwork late into the evening and would like to see their own children / families.
    They can barely look after their own flock and taking another patient means more work and they are overloaded.
    Doctors can decline work too... just like a builder or an electrician or any private contractor.... they have the right to say no thank you... im tired and im going home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marmit3

Wesser wrote: »
    Its nothing got to do with you being an immigrant.

Ah no I wasn't implying I was being turned down for being foreign. Its just never happened to me before that a doctor wouldn't want a new patient. I understand there's a shortage but it seems there aren't any doctors accepting patients which is a bit extreme. Not like I pop in every week or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In the area of rural Mayo I live in there is an extreme shortage of GPs and "allocation" within areas. My current GP has a wonderful local record but is way past retirement, is very.. forgetful.. and has no full time partner. Very hard to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

Call Aston Medical Drogheda 041 9865041

Thank me later :D

Advertisement