Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uterine fibroid

Options
  • 06-04-2019 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Looking for some advice from other ladies on this one.. I’m in my mid 40’s, suffering from heavy periods now for a good while. My own gp has advised mirena for me, I’m very, very reluctant to get it, I am prone to mild depression & anxiety & really feel very uncomfortable with using the mirena, so please no judgemental comments on this. Has anyone had success with using acupuncture/herbs for fibroids? Or any other alternative treatment? I’m very open minded to trying anything that would help. I’m in the West but willing to travel also if I got a very good recommendation for someone. Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Has the option for medication to reduce the menstrual flow been discussed with you? If not, raise the issue with your gp. He/she will know if that would be suitable in your case.

I take medication now. It's revolutionised my life. My gp also wanted me to get the mirena but Ilike you, I don't want to go down that route for various reasons.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

Are you referring to tranexamic tablets? If yes that was something he did mention to me. I’m going down the holistic route first & exploring all options there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

tamara25 wrote: »
    Are you referring to tranexamic tablets? If yes that was something he did mention to me. I’m going down the holistic route first & exploring all options there.
    Yes. Those are the ones. I can recommend highly from my own personal experience.

I appreciate that you're looking for alternative methods though. I've never come across anything in the health shops for heavy bleeding and I did ask around. This was before I even knew that tranexamic acid existed! Took a change of gp to find that out. I had four years of sympathetic nodding and " mmmm, it can be difficult when you hit your 40s" from my previous gp. When I told my new gp the size and amount of menstrual hygiene products I was getting through in a day and the fact that I was unable to go out for 2 days of my period she immediately suggested the medication. I couldn't believe it existed and my previous gp didn't mention it! It turns out I was developing anemia aswell.

Don't let this go on for too much longer as it can have a serious affect on your health. I was permanently exhausted and after just 3 cycles on the meds that's stopped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Hi OP, when I was your age I had a similar problem. My gynae lady told me that during perimenopause periods can become very heavy. She said it was to do with hormones being out of kilter. She put me on the combined pill, which did help. Also, has your GP mentioned endometriosis? It can make life miserable, but after a laprascopy and d+c, I was a different person. Just a few thoughts, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

I have 2 fibroids one is the size of my fist so they say. I recently started acupuncture because I hear that is good. I was advised to get a Hysterectomy but I don't want to go down that road just yet. I found this supplement online. I'm going to give it a try

https://ie.iherb.com/pr/Crystal-Star-Fibro-Defense-60-Veggie-Caps/57432?gclid=Cj0KCQjwocPnBRDFARIsAJJcf96Mg_opj80M14mFJ2kft7bxI8A-KIVp8sT6Z3d3aSXglnNO6jT5OHAaApPVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Advertisement

Can someone recommend a good gynecologist in the Galway clinic please?

Can someone recommend a good gynecologist in the Galway clinic please?

Advertisement