Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I don't know about checking with you gp because I already have a file with them going back nearly 5 years now so they know my stuff, so they may need this but I don't know

Eye testing is strict. You have the standard eye chart, the color blind test and also look into a little machine that look like binoculars for a final test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Just to say the medical is as though as GM and others here mentioned with Extensive eye tests, hearing test in booth, BMI , ECG, blood test, urine test and anything I might've missed.

Did they say what the BMI cut off was? Was there a colour blindness test? Was it numbers or shapes?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 blackro12345

Hi I'm doing my medical tomorrow. Just wondering how long does it take??

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Did they say what the BMI cut off was? Was there a colour blindness test? Was it numbers or shapes?

No but my BMI was good is all they said, didn't get any mention of cut off

Yes colorblind test

Numbers and shapes depending so watch out,

Hi I'm doing my medical tomorrow. Just wondering how long does it take??

Give about an hour between doing everything and setting up / details etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Joepoe

I don't know about checking with you gp because I already have a file with them going back nearly 5 years now so they know my stuff, so they may need this but I don't know

Eye testing is strict. You have the standard eye chart, the color blind test and also look into a little machine that look like binoculars for a final test.

I may be fecked if I make it that far then,can see and differentiate colours no problem just can't make heads nor tails of those little dotted books 😂

The BMI thing is a load of bollix.......I am a fat bastid, 100% but I'm not necessarily any less fit than a naturally skinny fecker that never exercises and just eats crap all day and smokes.

After all this and now I'm out I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

i'm so hungry looking at all the food around me, preparing for this bloody BMI... lemon and water seem to be doing the trick...

The BMI thing is a load of bollix.......I am a fat bastid, 100% but I'm not necessarily any less fit than a naturally skinny fecker that never exercises and just eats crap all day and smokes.

After all this and now I'm out I'd say

chin up, aint over till the fat lady sings...
    (i'll see myself out)

mario84s wrote:
    chin up, aint over till the fat lady sings... (i'll see myself out)

Which chin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BMI is bollox, it's a one dimensional measurement that doesn't account for people who are wide shouldered etc. Majority of sports players are considered obese on it!

It's also hundreds of years old. Ridiculously crude and should never have got the credence it has recently

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

Which chin?

Are you drastically over? Might be worth asking them to do a fat percentage instead. I think males need to be under 25% I don’t know if they will but doesn’t hurt to ask.

Which chin?

squeeze a whole lemon into a pint glass and fill with water and drink... 7 lemons a day. do for 1 week. that's what i was told, and cut out sugar. it stops the water retention, but i'm no expert. seems to be working, however slowly for me. just shy of 2 kg in 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Doghouses

Must be BMI under 30 or your obese and ur out

mario84s wrote:
    squeeze a whole lemon into a pint glass and fill with water and drink... 7 lemons a day. do for 1 week. that's what i was told, and cut out sugar. it stops the water retention, but i'm no expert. seems to be working, however slowly for me. just shy of 2 kg in 3 days

At that rate I would still need a few months!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenjenHarley

Has anyone heard back who sat phase 2 assessments yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Has anyone heard back who sat phase 2 assessments yesterday?

Nope nothing yet. I did mine at 8am yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

In regards the eye test, anyone (preferably speaking from experience) say how far down the chart you need to be able to read? I have a lazy eye condition in one eye with low vision. Still have good peripheral vision etc.

Not looking for speculation just if anyone has gone through the process/has inside information that would be great. Thanks.

Edit: I'm very aware how important eyesight is in regards to the role before anyone mentions it.

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    In regards the eye test, anyone (preferably speaking from experience) say how far down the chart you need to be able to read? I have a lazy eye condition in one eye with low vision. Still have good peripheral vision etc.

Not looking for speculation just if anyone has gone through the process/has inside information that would be great. Thanks.

Edit: I'm very aware how important eyesight is in regards to the role before anyone mentions it.

From what I can gather from yesterday when I did it, you don't need to read the last line on the chart because that's actually airline pilot territory

But if you struggle on the chart before that line, she might do another one through the binoculars with you.

There is also a leaflet that you read on that's like small print on a menu type thing

• Advertisement

From what I can gather from yesterday when I did it, you don't need to read the last line on the chart because that's actually airline pilot territory

But if you struggle on the chart before that line, she might do another one through the binoculars with you.

There is also a leaflet that you read on that's like small print on a menu type thing

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Doghouses wrote: »
    That’s what big john said to me. He’s one of the trainers there. I wouldn’t advice any of you guys calling him that tho.
    Just his besties
    Why picking on everything I say. I’m not a troll I just trying to join in and be part of the group ����*✈️
    They have lemsip at most depots just for tho scenario I heard

A better standard of posting is expected from those who frequent this forum - please read the forum charter before posting in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

Distance vision shall be at least 6/9 in the better eye and 6/12 in the other eye; the use of spectacles or contact lenses is permitted to meet this requirement. ... c) Where spectacles or contact lenses are used, uncorrected visual acuity shall be at least 3/60 in each eye.

This is what I found. I'd ask your optician if you meet this standard. Unless you have very weak vision you should be alright.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Do you need to read the leaflet with each eye? As in one covered,then the other? I also have a lazy eye. I have 6/6 vision in my stronger eye and good peripheral vision but my vision in the weaker eye is very poor. I think It would preclude me from going further than the medical.

I would be below 6/12 in the weaker eye. That probably rules me out. Oh well.

Go do it anyway, give it your best and see what happens

The leaflet is both eyes open

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

Do they tell you there and then if you’ve reached the standard?

Ais123 wrote: »
    Do they tell you there and then if you’ve reached the standard?

They should do, they did for me anyways.

I know that anyone that went for bus medical that didn't meet standerd were told why and given a chance to lose weight etc

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

Just as a matter of interest
    Where the medicals carried out in a clinic in clonsilla?

Just as a matter of interest
    Where the medicals carried out in a clinic in clonsilla?

CIE medical center in Dublin

Deedsie wrote: »
    Do you need to read the leaflet with each eye? As in one covered,then the other? I also have a lazy eye. I have 6/6 vision in my stronger eye and good peripheral vision but my vision in the weaker eye is very poor. I think It would preclude me from going further than the medical.

I would be below 6/12 in the weaker eye. That probably rules me out. Oh well.

My right eye is very weak, with a much stronger than average left eye.

I'll go for it anyway if I get that far.

• Advertisement

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    My right eye is very weak, with a much stronger than average left eye.

I'll go for it anyway if I get that far.

You got this far can’t give up now

Advertisement