Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpaid leave and social welfare entitlements

• 21-06-2021 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I have been offered a leave of absence from work in order to address some personal matters at home (unpaid leave). Would I be entitled to any sort of welfare assistance as a single person with no dependents while on leave?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Physeter wrote: »
    I have been offered a leave of absence from work in order to address some personal matters at home (unpaid leave). Would I be entitled to any sort of welfare assistance as a single person with no dependents while on leave?

Honestly, this would be a tricky scenario, voluntary un paid leave is a personal choice, not a forced lay off from employment, in essence to qualify for a jobseekers style payment you have to be fully unemployed or temporarily laid off from employment. I'm not aware of any benefit that would cover situation you describe.

I appreciate your leave is to deal with personal matters, however if it was for medical reasons, subject to a cert from your GP and PRSI contributions, illness benefit may be an option. But I stress you must must be unable to work due to a defined illness. You can look up illness benifit below, good luck

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_benefit.html

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

If you're stressed by the personal matters and can't cope with them and work at the same time you should be able to get sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

Thanks for the informative replies. Upended by the fallout of the combined death of my parents due to covid infection. Extraordinary circumstances that don't seem to be facilitated by the state at this time. I've never availed of social welfare and thankfully my job has been very keen to go out of their way to provide assistance. I'll check in with my GP for further counsel.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

The HSE social worker has been great as well. I should probably get more information from her before I make any decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thanks for the informative replies. Upended by the fallout of the combined death of my parents due to covid infection. Extraordinary circumstances that don't seem to be facilitated by the state at this time. I've never availed of social welfare and thankfully my job has been very keen to go out of their way to provide assistance. I'll check in with my GP for further counsel.

These are indeed extraordinary and very sad circumstances and I am sorry for your losses. At a minimum I would be speaking to your GP whom I'm sure knows the detail's and explore claiming illness benefit based on the stress of what you have been through. The social worker may also be of assistance. Truely tragic events which highlight the awful 14 months so many people have. Please take care.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement