Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reporting suspecting fraud

• 16-06-2021 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about reporting someone I know for suspected benefit fraud. What would happen after the report is made? Are the benefits cut off automatically or is there an investigation into the claim or is the person called into a meeting? I don't want the person to lose the benefits in case it causes hardship or distress on themselves or their family.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Moving to State Benefits. Local Charter now applies.

Thanks

HS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Slightly confused as to why you want to report if you don’t want them to lose the benefits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You report online and let welfare check, if no foul they no problems for them...

If they are scamming then yes report away.

Anonymous reporting is allowed online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm thinking about reporting someone I know for suspected benefit fraud. What would happen after the report is made? Are the benefits cut off automatically or is there an investigation into the claim or is the person called into a meeting? I don't want the person to lose the benefits in case it causes hardship or distress on themselves or their family.

I'm somewhat confused, you say you want to report suspected fraud and yet don't want to cause the individual or family hardship or loose the benefit?

Firstly, I am not doubting your sincerity, I'm only mentioning the above because you seem conflicted and this is a concern, obviously your reasonably close to the alledged fraudsters.

Of course it's appropriate to report any suspected fraud, I just advise be reasonably sure it's occurring, also keep in mind not all benefits being paid are for example job /work related.

You can report your suspicions anonymously on the DEASP website, you will not be asked to identify yourself but will be asked specific details of person your reporting.

Your involvement ends here.

The complaint will immediately go to the special investigations unit within the DEASP, payments won't stop immediately, however depending what is uncovered early on in any investigation, it could be suspended quite quickly pending further investigations, the whole process takes weeks, months and may involve garda involvement.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

I don't want the person to lose the benefits in case it causes hardship or distress on themselves or their family.

In that case, why not drop a line, anonymously, to Social Welfare and suggest that although you suspect that this individual may be defrauding the Irish taxpayer you believe that they should, in fact, be paid more benefit?

That way, you'll have done your civic duty - as well as having confused DSW no end!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement