Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Epsom Oaks/Derby Meeting

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

The Derby is ran on a greyhound track the likes of that winner, Beggy's winner a few years ago and Serpentine last year prove what a bad race it is, rarely won by champions in recent years its who gets the best ride on the day and handles the bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Another substandard Derby winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 VelaSupernova

Uninspiring Derby, winner was rated less than Oh This Is Us who won the Group 3 earlier in the day. Falsely ran and forgettable. A non event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Another substandard Derby winner.

I don't think so. The time is very good, McSwiney is a fairly decent yardstick and he couldn't live with the winner in the last furlong.

I know it doesn't feel right, but none of the Classics this year feel right based on previous form. Maybe the Covid disruption has had an effect on the reliability of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

tryfix wrote: »
    I don't think so. The time is very good, McSwiney is a fairly decent yardstick and he couldn't live with the winner in the last furlong.

I know it doesn't feel right, but none of the Classics this year feel right based on previous form. Maybe the Covid disruption has had an effect on the reliability of form.

The winner beaten in two previous trials, Appleby thinking he was more of a Leger horse, and a Hannon maiden finishing second. Good luck if you think that form will hold up as the season unfolds.

The winner beaten in two previous trials, Appleby thinking he was more of a Leger horse, and a Hannon maiden finishing second. Good luck if you think that form will hold up as the season unfolds.

In fairness substandard has become the norm for Epsom Derby winners, the ones that won it and anything else of note are few and far between. Also big priced placed horses in the Derby have been par for the course even as far back as when Epsom Derby winners were gods of the turf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Didnt know O Brien priced up the market for the derby.

I wasn't sincere with my comment Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Couldn't understand the punt on Adayer before the race and I still can't see where it has gotten that form today. Readily put in its place last time by Third Realm. On all known form 16/1 was a woeful price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

tryfix wrote: »
    As you say, nothing wrong with the winning performance going by the time and the way it finished. What surprised me was how well it stayed though. Pedigree screamed one miler, yet it was the one that stayed strongest in the finish. I think it was a bit of a freak result and it wouldn't surprise me if this goes the way of a Masar and never wins again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

As you say, nothing wrong with the winning performance going by the time and the way it finished. What surprised me was how well it stayed though. Pedigree screamed one miler, yet it was the one that stayed strongest in the finish. I think it was a bit of a freak result and it wouldn't surprise me if this goes the way of a Masar and never wins again.

Same as serpentine. Has been brutal since winning last years derby

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Most of us looked at Adayar and saw a Frankel colt who was thereabouts at 10f in group 3 company and given the lilly-livered nature of your average Frankel colt we thought no more about him.

He's by a miler out of a mare whose sire was a miler, but he has a dosage index of 0.58 which indicates that he should get the Ascot Gold Cup trip.

Frankel DI 1.00 was brilliant at a mile but he was bred to be a Derby horse and he has sired a large amount of stayers already. On Adayar's dam side every one of them has a very low dosage index number, his 3rd dam Anna Of Saxony won the 16 1/2f Park Hill Stakes at Doncaster which is no surprise given that she was an Ela Mana Mou mare and nothing screams stamina more than Ela Man Mou in a pedigree. The 3rd placed Frankel colt Hurricane Lane also has stayers pedigree with a 0.52 dosage index and a dam who won over 2 miles. The second placed Mojo Star is a freak who's defying his pedigree.

I doubt if either Adayar or Hurricane Lane will be suited by a return to 10f. They should be opposable if they go for the likes of the Eclipse or Juddmonte.

Advertisement