Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old vhs to dvd

Options
  • 23-02-2021 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

I have an old DVD Player/video cassette recorder. Is there anyway I can record old vhs tapes onto dvd with this machine? It doesn't say dvd recorder and video cassette recorder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

leemaree wrote: »
    I have an old DVD Player/video cassette recorder. Is there anyway I can record old vhs tapes onto dvd with this machine? It doesn't say dvd recorder and video cassette recorder

What is the make and model of the device you own?

Also if these are sentimental videos, I would suggest capturing them digitally using a HDPVR between your VHS player and a computer once you have the video files you can save them to the cloud or send them to family over whatsapp etc. Or burn them to a DVD. You will find HDPVR's second hand on adverts from time to time for not much money. Or you can have them converted professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

elfy4eva wrote: »
    What is the make and model of the device you own?

Also if these are sentimental videos, I would suggest capturing them digitally using a HDPVR between your VHS player and a computer once you have the video files you can save them to the cloud or send them to family over whatsapp etc. Or burn them to a DVD. You will find HDPVR's second hand on adverts from time to time for not much money. Or you can have them converted professionally.

The make and Model is Sony slv-d950gi

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwaydoc

No, you can't use this model to record onto a DVD.

How many VHS tapes do you want to copy? I couldn't find the DVD version of our wedding video, so I paid about €30 to have the VHS version copied. I got an excellent quality new DVD, plus a digital version on a USB stick that has now been stored safely in the cloud.

On the other hand, if it's any more than one or two tapes, you could invest in a machine from ebay for under €100.

galwaydoc wrote: »
    No, you can't use this model to record onto a DVD.

How many VHS tapes do you want to copy? I couldn't find the DVD version of our wedding video, so I paid about €30 to have the VHS version copied. I got an excellent quality new DVD, plus a digital version on a USB stick that has now been stored safely in the cloud.

On the other hand, if it's any more than one or two tapes, you could invest in a machine from ebay for under €100.

About 5 tapes or more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

You can use something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/REDGO-Updated-Digital-Converter-Recorder/dp/B07MCTQRSP/ref=sr_1_15?crid=3T3Z0I8T8UTZL&dchild=1&keywords=vhs+to+digital+converter&qid=1614075550&sprefix=vhs+to%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-15

You plug that into your output from the vhs player and record it to your pc/laptop. you can then use something like convertXtodvd to create dvd's or just save them as video files and share them via cloud or usb sticks/usb hdd that could plug directly into a tv to watch.

• Advertisement

Actually - don't order that one, it would probably need another cable to connect.

71osKk2I6xL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Actually - don't order that one, it would probably need another cable to connect.

71osKk2I6xL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

So you basically saying, if I order this item without the wires that don't come with it, it won't work?

leemaree wrote: »
    So you basically saying, if I order this item without the wires that don't come with it, it won't work?

Yes. You need to have a look at the connections on the VHS player output (Probably Scart). But possibly separate audio/video.

Then the converter just needs to be able to connect to that. the other end then connects to pc/laptop via usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I have a Philips DVD\HD recorder that I no longer require, you can record from VHS or anything with composite\scart or coax connection to either DVD or the internal HD think it's 320GB. I will put it up on adverts soon.

Looks like this but will need to check exact model.

• Advertisement
Advertisement