Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clinics and charging

Options
  • 06-01-2021 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I am 38 and recently had my AMH tests completed and the results were lower than expected, but probably not all that surprising. The doctor said I had a 15% chance conceiving with IUI and then 25% chance with IVF, and I just got the all clear from the SIS and HYCOSY test so there is no reason why IUI wouldn't work.

But the problem I am having is that they seem to be really pushy about setting up review appointments and then they withhold the results because 'I won't understand them' - is this normal? I am not 100% sure I want the treatment and I would prefer to get the COVID vaccine before I get pregnant as well, and who knows how long that could be!

I just find the salesy side really uncomfortable and I am worried that I am not getting the full picture from them especially when the chances of me getting pregnant without help is about the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Are they charging for the follow up appointments? We paid for our initial consultation and then any follow up appointments were free for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Yes, so they won't release the results until we pay another €100 for a follow up call with the Dr.

I'm assuming you've paid for the tests as well as the initial consultation?

You could contact your GP and ask them to request a copy of your medical records from the fertility clinic and see if that works. Or if not, under GDPR you could submit a Subject Access Request for any and all of your data that they hold.

Your GP may not have the full expertise to go through the results in the same way but you could take the results to another clinic if you're not happy with the one you're currently with.

We went to Rotunda IVF (now SIMS) and never felt like we were getting a hard sell or over charged. My GP also recommended Merrion Fertility when we were looking as she said they're non profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

OK, we just went with the recommendation from VHI as I believe they were the most economical but maybe they won't be in the long one.

Lux23 wrote: »
    OK, we just went with the recommendation from VHI as I believe they were the most economical but maybe they won't be in the long one.

It’s a minefield and it’s all very daunting when you start out. We started our fertility journey around Autumn 2019 and I’m currently 22 weeks pregnant. If you want to PM me I’m happy to tell you my experience if that will help.

Otherwise, best of luck with whatever you decide. It’s a big deal, so take the time to be happy with any decisions you make.

• Advertisement
Advertisement