Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slaves to a trend

Options
  • 10-03-2016 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

You see it everywhere, as soon as a "thing" gets popular on social media or fashion wise the same people will lap it up and follow blindly.

I'm not saying I judge anyone for being like this but it really is sheep mentality when you see for example a group of fellas who all went around in tracksuits a few years ago now all to a man they are wearing skinny jeans, tight v neck t-shirts, ****ty sleeve tattoos and dodgy combovers.

I know trends have always been a thing but it seems so much worse now with what gets popular in America seems to trickle down to Ireland and UK within a few days to the point that people in the western world may aswell talk and look the exact same.

Are more diverse sub-cultures dying out now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Slave to the rhythm!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

pojfexcsc wrote: »
    You see it everywhere, as soon as a "thing" gets popular on social media or fashion wise the same people will lap it up and follow blindly.

I'm not saying I judge anyone for being like this but it really is sheep mentality when you see for example a group of fellas who all went around in tracksuits a few years ago now all to a man they are wearing skinny jeans, tight v neck t-shirts, ****ty sleeve tattoos and dodgy combovers.

I know trends have always been a thing but it seems so much worse now with what gets popular in America seems to trickle down to Ireland and UK within a few days to the point that people in the western world may aswell talk and look the exact same.

Goths are an endangered species at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I stopped giving a fcuk what other people dress like a long time ago. I'll leave that to people who are still in secondary school. I suggest you try not giving a fcuk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Maguined wrote: »
    Goths are an endangered species at this stage.

That they are, but I still see the odd old Goth specimen walking around. Usually married with a Goth partner, and fat.

Emos are pretty much extinct now. I don't even know how to describe this current trend. Top knots/man buns, parka jackets, white spacers, borderline scobe... What is going on!?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They weren't skinny jeans when I bought them.

These kind of threads remind me of someone who gives out bangs about the mistakes other drivers make on the road and then proceed to do the exact same thing 5 minutes later and think the people giving out to them are being unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I honestly haven't come across a single woman who likes the man-bun look so that doesn't seem to be a trend that's welcomed as the others. The way some fellas really make them tight is a sure-fire way to feck up their scalp and go bald early.

I've long hair meself but I usually hear from women: "Don't do that man-bun shít!" :P

Anyways, fashion and trends will always change no matter what and has done for decades and decades. It's not even worth getting worked up about it.

The lumberjack + Hitler Youth look will exhaust itself and another look will come along to replace it. Wash, rinse, repeat............I predict one of these will be our next look!.......:pac:

The trick is to buy your clothes from Pennys and constantly look like you're from 2005 (Source: I buy from Pennys)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Mod's and Ted's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Nah, they're still just called weirdo's

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I honestly haven't come across a single woman who likes the man-bun look

My GF likes it and I'm generally very embarrassed about wearing my hair like that in public but it increases the likelihood of certain evening activities taking place so I suck it up... then so does she

Advertisement