Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer Weather 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rainfall warning out for some Southern Counties

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

cloudy here in cork at the moment. in youghal right now i've noticed on the radar there's a big red blob :( it looks very intense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Can anyone give a guess as to the weather for next week and possibly the following week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

tanko wrote: »
    Can anyone give a guess as to the weather for next week and possibly the following week?

Possibly píssing, with a bit of wind and out brakes of sunshine, with some rain.

I think that's accurate as met eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I watched the tv3 forecast earlier. I've been watching tomorrow's weather as I'll be on a lake for most of it.

TV3 reckoned a fair day with no rain, little wind. And sunshine.

Thought this odd as I'd been seeing a shít day with high winds and rain.

RTE has it as I'd expected. How in the name of Jayzus can TV3 broadcast that shiite?! I know they're wrong but how can they be sooo wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Well our summer departed a while ago and on a one way ticket it seems. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Well our summer departed a while ago and on a one way ticket it seems. :mad:

a bad august together with a bad may and half of June makes this summer in my mind average is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

a bad august together with a bad may and half of June makes this summer in my mind average is all.

May : Not a summer month.
    June : "Mean temperatures were well above average" http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2014-Jun.pdf
    July : "All mean temperatures were above there long term average." http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2014-Jul.pdf

August can be judged once the month is over, so 2/3 of the summer has had above/well above average temperatures. Expecting anything better than that given our location on the planet is simply not realistic.

Sometimes I wonder if people remember we'll living in Ireland, not the Med or Florida. Same goes for winter months, if you are looking for regular sustained season-long cold/snowy weather then Ireland is probably the worst place on earth at this latitude for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Decent bit of sunshine in Bray this afternoon/evening. How's it down your neck of the woods Whitebriar?? Wonder how the rest of the country is doing. ;):D

I love the Wicklow mountains :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Realy feels like Autumn in the air these last few days and next week looks even chillier. Time to put away the sandals and summer shirts, and bring out the vests and jackets. Was hoping that this August would buck the long running trend and give us a decent summers week. Not looking likely now so bar an Indian summer spell next month, thats the end of the show for summer 2014. A good one in my book and I'm glad I made the most of it. Especcially given how rare 3 good summers in a row are in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There has been a heavy misty rain in the North of Donegal for about 3 hrs now.

Its like a winters day. Miserable. And heard on forecast earlier that next week is to be poor too.

Summer's over folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Calibos wrote: »
    Decent bit of sunshine in Bray this afternoon/evening. How's it down your neck of the woods Whitebriar?? Wonder how the rest of the country is doing. ;):D

I love the Wicklow mountains :D

Same in Greystones, it's great.

cotton wrote: »
    Same in Greystones, it's great.

Even nicer today but it's not as fun to gloat over as unlike yesterday, we're not the only place in the country with some sun and blue skies. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Anyone willing to check the models for me for next weekend? I'm organising a festival and hoping all the work won't be a complete wash out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

^^^Too Far away I'd imagine.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Especcially given how rare 3 good summers in a row are in this part of the world.

I remember 2012 as poor? I bailed to Spain twice in desperation. Was I imagining it?

No. It was shìt.

Mean air temperatures were mainly below average with a few isolated sites above average. Almost all stations recorded below average mean temperatures in June and July, with above average temperatures in most areas in August. Mean temperatures ranged from 12.5°C at Arklow (Ballyrichard Hse.), Co. Wicklow, its coldest Summer since the station opened in 1989 (23 years) to 15.6°C at Dublin (Glasnevin). Differences from long- term averages (LTAs) ranged from -2.5°C at Arklow (Ballyrichard Hse.) to +0.3°C at Dooks, Co.Kerry. Dublin (Merrion Square) reported a mean temperature of 14.8°C, -1.2°C below average and the longest record exceeded with the coldest Summer since 1986 (26 years). Most stations reported that it was not as cold as the Summer of 2011. Highest maxima were mainly recorded during August, while almost all lowest minima were recorded in June. Both the Summer highest maximum temperature and lowest minimum temperature were both recorded at the same site, Glenties Hatchery, Co. Donegal. The highest Summer maximum was 27.0°C on August 10th, its highest for the site since 2006 (6 years) while the lowest Summer minimum was 1.1°C on June 10th, equalling its lowest Summer temperature since 1998 (14 years).
    Dungloe, Co. Donegal to 278% at Roundwood, Co. Wicklow, its wettest Summer on record since 1942 (70 years). It was the wettest Summer for over 60 years at some stations in the Midlands, Munster, east and south Leinster. Most stations in other parts of the country reported wetter conditions in 2008 and 2009. Summer rainfall totals (in areas below 200m) ranged from 273.6 mm at Gladree, Co. Mayo to 765.4 mm at Gernapeka, Co. Cork with a gauge in the Cummeragh Mountains, Co. Kerry reporting the highest seasonal total with 1364.2 mm, its wettest Summer on record since 1942 (70 years). The highest daily rainfall of the season was at Lough Glencar on June 8th with 99.5 mm, its highest Summer fall since the station opened 1992 (20 years). Wetdays (days with 1mm or more) ranged from 41 days at Ashford (Cronykeery), Co. Wicklow, its wettest Summer since 2000 (12 years) to 77 at Glencar (Dreenagh), Co. Kerry, its highest number of wetdays since records began in 1982 (30 years).
    Percentage of average sunshine values were below average everywhere except in the West and Northwest. Percentage values ranged from 68% at Ballincurrig (Peafield), Co. Cork to 104% at Belmullet, both their dullest summers since 2005 (7 years). Below average sunshine was recorded in June, July and in parts of the South in August. Total Summer sunshine hours ranged from 313.7 hours at Valentia Observatory, its dullest summer since 1980 (32 years) to 442.5 hours at Belmullet. The highest daily Summer sunshine was 15.3 hours, recorded at both Ballyshannon (Cathleen’s Fall) on June 10th and Wexford Wildfowl Reserve on July 7th, its highest daily Summer sunshine since 1995 (17 years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

That's a fair ould wall of txt.^^

Good weather reader on BBC1 there, this guy, it just happened to be on.

Bit of Honesty from him, "tracking this", "wathching this", "could have this because of this", jaysus it was great rather than the usual turds outta of them.

That's a fair ould wall of txt.^^

2012 was a v poor. Dull, wet and cold. In a nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I remember 2012 as poor? I bailed to Spain twice in desperation. Was I imagining it?

I was referring to the possiblity of 2015 making it 3 good summers in a row. An unlikely event given the known records.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

This August will probably go down in record as one of the coldest and most miserable especially after the hot spells we had at the end of june and july even august 2012 wasn't this cold

s.m wrote: »
    This August will probably go down in record as one of the coldest and most miserable especially after the hot spells we had at the end of june and july even august 2012 wasn't this cold

Will ye go way outta that! Oh?.....Location: Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

s.m wrote: »

Completely different story down here in Galway. Very dry month so far. Although totals are running around average most of that fell in very short sharp bursts early in the month - much as it has done over the Summer in general. Sunshine is just relentless; can't actually remember the last time I seen a proper overcast day, not to mention a good old fashioned rainy one and I don't find it particular cold either. An incredibly benign month so far would be my humble view.

Hopefully Autumn will compensate though with some decent violent weather setting in. God knows we are well overdue some. :)

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Yep, 2012 was desperate. Of the the 2007-2012 shockin' summers run, 2012 was second only to 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I find August 2012 the best of the 3 poor summer months of that year. Temperature was up to about average while it was way below during June and July. August this year is looking like turning out to be the worst month of what would be describe as a nice summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I sparked up the gas fire last night...in the middle of August. Just a few weeks ago I was wearing nothing but shorts and lying on a beach at Dollymount. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This August is looking like a bit of a write-off so far with plenty of rain already and temperatures struggling to hit the mid teens. Very cool this evening, winter clothes back on. Hopefully the end of August and beginning of September will be a bit warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

It has been a brilliant summer down here in West Cork. Very little rain nice temps and lots of sunshine. Man I wish every summer could be like this. Its after getting fairly cool with about 2 week by night and under any cloud cover but if the sun is out its still hot.

Id say better than last year overall!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

It has been a brilliant summer down here in West Cork. Very little rain nice temps and lots of sunshine. Man I wish every summer could be like this. Its after getting fairly cool with about 2 week by night and under any cloud cover but if the sun is out its still hot.

Id say better than last year overall!
    Yup,same summary for East Wicklow.
    Better than last year over all with several more days in the 20's and unusual for near the sea a lack of sea breezes so making it warmer as coastal margins did not get the inland cloudy spells others got.
    Even now in the cool,it's been able to hit 19c a few times.

Advertisement