Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respite care during Covid.

Options
  • 21-06-2021 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what emergency services are available for respite or any alternatives to care? My mother looks after my father at home but she has to go for an operation within 3 weeks. My father has home carers 7 days a week but they only come for 20 mins or so then they gone. We need immediate care but I live an hour away and I have a full time job. We need advice and help to any emergency serrives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Does anyone know what emergency services are available for respite or any alternatives to care? My mother looks after my father at home but she has to go for an operation within 3 weeks. My father has home carers 7 days a week but they only come for 20 mins or so then they gone. We need immediate care but I live an hour away and I have a full time job. We need advice and help to any emergency serrives.

Have you contacted your parents Public Health Nurse? They should be able to help.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Have you contacted your parents Public Health Nurse? They should be able to help.

I will try that

We tried the public health nurse she said there's nothing she can do on her end. Respite is closed with HSE. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

We tried the public health nurse she said there's nothing she can do on her end. Respite is closed with HSE. Any suggestions?

Presumably your mum would have received the Carers' Support Grant (€1850) earlier this month. Why not use it to put him in to a private nursing home for a couple of weeks.

You (or you mum) can pay any top-up and claim tax relief on the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Try asking the carers if they perhaps know of someone who could care privately - lots of carers do this on the side.

• Advertisement

OK, do we are thinking long term, my mom can't look after my dad. Realistically. And because. I'm working and living an hour away, I can't be there either. Not every single day. So the next option is long term nursing home stay. Does anyone have info on the fair deal scheme in simple terms. Im not sure I understand it fully. How much assets does HSE take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

OK, do we are thinking long term, my mom can't look after my dad. Realistically. And because. I'm working and living an hour away, I can't be there either. Not every single day. So the next option is long term nursing home stay. Does anyone have info on the fair deal scheme in simple terms. Im not sure I understand it fully. How much assets does HSE take.

Under the scheme, patients make a contribution towards the cost of your care and the HSE pays the balance. It first carries out a means test and calculates how much the individual needs to contribute towards the cost of their nursing home care. If the individual can fund this from their own resources then that's fine.

If they can't - and this frequently arises because people are asset rich, but cash poor - then there is an option of raising a Nursing Home Loan secured on the value of the family home. If this is done, then the maximum that will be owed to the HSE (and collected by Revenue when the house is eventually sold) is 22.5% of the value of the home.

That's just a quick and dirty summary - the scheme is well described here:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/health_services_for_older_people/nursing_homes_support_scheme_1.html

Advertisement