Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming JSB after starting a new job

Options
  • 15-06-2021 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Can someone who has not claimed JSB before, apply for it retrospectively?

Ie. they finished one job (involuntarily), were unemployed for a time (during which they could not get a PSC) and then started a different job?

Any help much appreciated. Better chance of pigs flying than the local Intreo office answering the phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Leinster90 wrote: »
    Can someone who has not claimed JSB before, apply for it retrospectively?

Ie. they finished one job (involuntarily), were unemployed for a time (during which they could not get a PSC) and then started a different job?

Any help much appreciated. Better chance of pigs flying than the local Intreo office answering the phone.

Are you saying you couldn't apply for JSB because you had no PSC?, I wasn't aware that stopped anyone applying or being entitled to JSA/JSB. I understood if applying the claimant would be brought in to get photos taken and PSC processed, equally I'm aware there was delays etc because of pandemic but didn't think not having one precluded anyone from applying and getting a payment if entitled to it.

Next you mention your working and wondering can you claim for the time you were unemployed, this is quite Tricky as I do not believe you can claim retrospectively, a condition of claiming JSA/JSB is you are required to apply immediately on being made unemployed.

Whilst I'm not doubting your assertion you were precluded from claiming due to not having a PSC, if this was the case and can be proven/confirmed they may be a case for retrospective payment for the dates applicable but I just don't know, others may have additional /differing opinions on this.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

Thanks for the info. The website says that having a PSC is obligatory. Trying to get an appointment for one is very difficult.

I will try to get in touch with another Intreo office.

Leinster90 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. The website says that having a PSC is obligatory. Trying to get an appointment for one is very difficult.

I will try to get in touch with another Intreo office.

No problem, but just to clarify, the PSC requirement is only if your applying online using a mywelfare /MYGOVID account. It is not required for a face to face application at an intero centre, however doing it this way, they will put a claimant forward to get a PSC card. I do however accept there was serious difficulties accessing an Intero Centre at the height of the Pandemic.

Certainly worth following up with your local Intero Centre, explain situation etc, have as much info available, good luck.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

14. If I am late making my claim what date am I paid from (Late Claims)?

A claim may be backdated for a maximum of 6 months where the person can prove to the satisfaction of the Deciding Officer or Appeals Officer that they satisfied the qualifying conditions throughout the period and that there was good cause for delay in making the claim.

14. If I am late making my claim what date am I paid from (Late Claims)?

A claim may be backdated for a maximum of 6 months where the person can prove to the satisfaction of the Deciding Officer or Appeals Officer that they satisfied the qualifying conditions throughout the period and that there was good cause for delay in making the claim.

That's interesting and maybe helpful to OP, and certainly worth following up, just a slight concern that this link from 2015 but hopefully same rules still apply

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Dempo1 wrote: »
    That's interesting and maybe helpful to OP, and certainly worth following up, just a slight concern that this link from 2015 but hopefully same rules still apply

Yep; it's from the old DEASP website which was a lot better and easier to navigate than the current dog's dinner.

Advertisement