Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission for relative.

Options
  • 19-07-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any advice I have elderly parents one of whom has been diagnosed with cancer. They live in Wicklow where nearly of their family (sons , daughters) live in Meath. I have a property on half an acre I was wondering how easy or hard it would be to get planning to build onto a double garage I have on the property to get them close to where family can look after them. Anyone any advice or experience with the same

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It sounds feasible enough. This is very different from building a freestanding home. I would anticipate it would go better if the new accommodation was directly adjacent to and interconnected with the living area of the main house. But you really need professional advice on that.

Time is clearly of the essence so you really need to get an experienced planner and/or architect on board very quickly if you decide to proceed. You don’t really have time to waste on being refused planning. This will be expensive but will be worth it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

thread moved to construction & planning

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Perhaps you’re looking for a granny flat. Far easier to achieve when compared to a separate dwelling. Certain rules apply, for example direct connection to existing dwelling.

Advertisement