Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaffolding of garage

Options
  • 19-07-2019 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

We are currently pricing scaffolders. Our supplier told us there should not be a need to buy extra scaffolding for the garage as this makes it more expensive, that when house is roofed we can take some of it down and use for garage
    However another scaffolder has told us normally the house and garage are roofed together, then fascia and sofit, then plastered together. Can anyone advise? Am I better off getting separate scaffolding for garage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Given the rules around scaffolding erection, what are you doing buying scaffolding?

without knowing more about the location of garage vs house, impossible to tell.

However every time scaffolder comes on site its more expensive so ....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Given the rules around scaffolding erection, what are you doing buying scaffolding?

without knowing more about the location of garage vs house, impossible to tell.

However every time scaffolder comes on site its more expensive so ....

Well considering the ridiculous money companies charge for hire and erection lot cheaper to buy and pay a lad with a ticket to erect it, option to sell it on again after too

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

bfclancy wrote: »
    Well considering the ridiculous money companies charge for hire and erection lot cheaper to buy and pay a lad with a ticket to erect it, option to sell it on again after too

As long as the home owner is aware of their obligation under the HSWW regulations and BCAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

BryanF wrote: »
    As long as the home owner is aware of their obligation under the HSWW regulations and BCAR.

What’s the link you are suggesting between BCaR and scaffolding?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Gileadi wrote: »
    What’s the link you are suggesting between BCaR and scaffolding?

Might not be a direct link but the spirit of the Building Regulations are for the safety of people in and around buildings. I know some Building Control Officers will refer any questionable scaffolding to the HSA as it’s within their remit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

kceire wrote: »
    Might not be a direct link but the spirit of the Building Regulations are for the safety of people in and around buildings. I know some Building Control Officers will refer any questionable scaffolding to the HSA as it’s within their remit.

There's no direct link.

The chap asked for advice about doing the roof and finish of the exterior of an extension and garage together or separately.

He gets the laws laid down to him by mods.

No biggie.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Building control regulations are controls for Building regulations, which do not cover health and safety during construction phase.

BCaR seems to confuse enough people without linking it to construction issues that are entirely outside its remit.

There's no direct link.

The chap asked for advice about doing the roof and finish of the exterior of an extension and garage together or separately.

He gets the laws laid down to him by mods.

No biggie.

In fairness to BryanF, they never said there was a connection. They simply mentioned two processes that may need to be followed. Someone else asked what the connection was to which my reply said there wasn’t.

Gileadi wrote: »
    Building control regulations are controls for Building regulations, which do not cover health and safety during construction phase.

BCaR seems to confuse enough people without linking it to construction issues that are entirely outside its remit.

I never mentioned the Building Control Regulations, i mentioned the Building Regulations which are the Technical requirements rather than the admin process.

I never mentioned the Building Control Regulations, i mentioned the Building Regulations which are the Technical requirements rather than the admin process.

Previous poster mentioned Building Control Regs, you mention building control officers, who inspect for compliance with Building Regulations (among other roles). Building regulations do not cover health and safety during construction.

My point is still valid that the temporary works or health and safety during the site is not an issue for building control officers. If they see unsafe work practise they can report to HSA but so can any other professional, tradesman or member of public.

The OP has asked a question, the responses conflated the issue by mentioning BCaR and has descended into discussing building control officers. The answer to the OP is that they have statutory health and safety obligations relating to scaffold under safety, health and welfare at work legislation. It is not serving the OP or other users well to mix up the obligations/requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

In fairness to BryanF, they never said there was a connection. They simply mentioned two processes that may need to be followed. Someone else asked what the connection was to which my reply said there wasn’t.

That's not what was said, obligation was the word used.

Lads are getting carried away with all these rules and regulations that they have learned off, guidelines get misrepresented as law a lot of the time and common sense goes out the window.

It's like a competition to find some obscure quote in some manual that no one gives a sh#t about.

This is Ireland, yes you can tile over your old tiles and not worry about someone knocking at your door telling you that you broke building regulations, and no, it is not going to prevent you selling your house in a few years time if you decide to move.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

That's not what was said, obligation was the word used.

Lads are getting carried away with all these rules and regulations that they have learned off, guidelines get misrepresented as law a lot of the time and common sense goes out the window.

It's like a competition to find some obscure quote in some manual that no one gives a sh#t about.

This is Ireland, yes you can tile over your old tiles and not worry about someone knocking at your door telling you that you broke building regulations, and no, it is not going to prevent you selling your house in a few years time if you decide to move.
    I think what the lads are alluding to is that particularly This been Ireland and the op is supplying their own scaffolding is to make sure they have they're ducks in a row leagely before an accident happens and the op isn't taken to the cleaners.

bfclancy wrote: »

The OP needs to check with his insurer that erect/dismantle only is covered.
    last time i looked it had to be supply and fit so to speak.

Is the scaffolder here going to certify that all the kit is fit for use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Unfortunately it's the the way is gone at the moment.
    Direct Labour home owners/builders aren't aware of half of their responsibilities leagely.
    I'd be the first to argue that's it's killing the handyman/one man band tradesman working from house to house enterprise with insurance costs, certs for this and that and everything else. But as the saying goes "It's all fun and game's until someone loose's an eye"

Unfortunately it's the the way is gone at the moment.
    Direct Labour home owners/builders aren't aware of half of their responsibilities leagely.
    I'd be the first to argue that's it's killing the handyman/one man band tradesman working from house to house enterprise with insurance costs, certs for this and that and everything else. But as the saying goes "It's all fun and game's until someone loose's an eye"
    Thank you BD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

BryanF wrote: »

lol. Dream on. It is hard enough to get contractors to follow the H&S construction regs never mind a homeowner. It just aint gonna happen.
    I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to stand down supposedly reputable contractors because they hadn't a freaking notion about the correct way to work around electricity, excavations, heights, you name it. How do you think a homeowner on a shoestring budget is going to fare?

Sure look at the thread.... people are getting confused between the building regs, BCAR and the H&S construction regs. Enough said........

As someone with experience of the way sites work here, I would have zero confidence in a homeowner to ensure that a scaffold is erected certified and inspected properly unless they are a construction professional themselves.

All well and good until something happens? "Mr homeowner, who managed the site? I did it myself. Were you competent to do so? Earra, sure I said I'd have a go because it was going to be too expensive to hir........... "GUILTY"

Advertisement