Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aluminium windows & doors

• 10-08-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Has anyone here installed aluminium windows or doors in the last few years? The type typically seen in commercial buildings. I don't want PVC, wooden or aluclad. I asked about a specific make of aluminium doors a couple of days ago and got no response so was wondering is any type of aluminium doors/windows being installed in domestic buildings.

If so, how do you find them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Why not ring the company you mentioned previously and ask them for the names of a few past clients and go talk to them. It might be worth starting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

radiat wrote: »
    Has anyone here installed aluminium windows or doors in the last few years? The type typically seen in commercial buildings. I don't want PVC, wooden or aluclad. I asked about a specific make of aluminium doors a couple of days ago and got no response so was wondering is any type of aluminium doors/windows being installed in domestic buildings.

If so, how do you find them?

Most of the larger Aluminium fabricators are not really interested in Domestic. One reason is they offer any RAL colour, and the cost of producing the section, and trimmings in one colour, for a domestic, is quite high, they can run off one colour for a large Commercial project, at a more realistic price, given the amount of section.

While all the Aluminium is Thermally broken, personally I think it still produces a cold bridge, i would like to see Test results for Alum windows, compared to Timber or Aluclad, from an independant source for comparison.

Most Alum section will be externally glazed, so be careful on the security front.

Our well known, window Co in Munster, do advertise Aluminium, so they might be worth a shout, but I have doubts about their reliability as a Co, not just in Alum.

Best of luck with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Bought a mix of aluminium and aluclad for a house extension from a well known window company in Munster.
    The aluminium window and door are good quality and no issues with them so far. The window/door is in over a year at this stage. Picked a RAL colour that i liked also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Untreated aluminium reacts with concrete....

http://www.cement.org/tech/faq_aluminum.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mareeo

Did you ever find a good solution for your aluminium doors? I want to get 2 sets of patio doors. One sliding and one opening out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement