Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai target organised begging in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaintyDavy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

DaintyDavy wrote: »

I'm afraid this is the way it's going or has gone rather. The SJW's now consider every social demographic as a race including the criminal demographics and we will rue the day we didn't stop this nonsense when it started. I personally find this kind of stuff infuriating for it's nastyness towards good ppl, it's stupidity, it's social destructiveness in that the attitude serves to protect undesirables whether this is intention or not, and most of all the reason one is motivated to make such remarks which clearly is virtue signalling. Kitty Holland is off a class of ppl that I utterly despise as much I could despise any other class of criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

AllForIt wrote: »
    The SJW's now consider every social demographic as a race

Ah here, that's just a scurrilous accusation TBF. I mean, they don't even consider white people "people", let alone a race. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I stupidly gave money to a Romanian gypsy*years ago. He was holding up a piece of paper with "I need €10" written on it. He had a child aged about two with him and I felt sorry for him. I took all the change out my pocket, which must have been about €3 or €4, and handed it to him.

He looked at the change with a look of disgust as if I'd put a pile of shit in his hand and said "that's not enough". I shook my head and walked away. What I really should have done was grabbed the money back out of the fuckers hand.

This was many years ago when these people were a new thing here. I wouldn't give any of them the steam off my piss now.
    *Deliberately posting that to see how many people will rush to be the first to point out the difference between Roma and Romanians.

And not before time. Seen a minivan halt outside Heuston, ringleader ordering complicit members in four different directions. One of whom made a beeline towards me with the hand outstretched: "Good morning, very much". Is it too much trouble to board them on the next flight off the island?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I remember the one that used to hang around the Abbey St entrance to Easons with the plastic doll wrapped up in a blanket.

She was at it for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I gave a fiver or tenner to the young and incredibly aggressive Roma woman who used to have around near Dun Laoghaire shopping centre selling the Issues magazine - I was 7 or 8 years old and just felt sorry for her, and the whole pocket money thing was very new to me. She proceeded to spend the next five years constantly stalking me whenever she saw me in the town, and culminating in two horrendous incidents (keep in mind, myself and my friends were at most thirteen, probably more like eleven or twelve) - one weekend, my parents gave me their banklink so that I could take money out and bring some friends to the cinema in Dun Laoghaire. Getting to use a banklink was fairly exciting at that age, was the first time I'd ever used one (my parents regularly introduced me to things like this younger than one can use them independently) and we headed up to the ATM outside AIB in Dun Laoghaire to get cash for cinema tickets and popcorn.

The same scumbag stalker happened to be sitting beside the ATM, she started calling out "you know me, you know me" as usual, and I determinedly ignored her and proceeded to withdraw €50 (or £50 it might have been back then) as per my parents instructions on how to use the machine. When we turned to leave, she walked over and literally snatched the €50 out of my hand before I even had time to put it in my pocket, then snidely said "thank you" and wandered off. Luckily for me my parents were very sympathetic and drove us to the cinema in person. My dad did hop in the car and cruise around trying to find her for the next half an hour after dropping us off - no such luck.

A couple of weeks later, my parents decided to give me another crack at the ATM thing (after delivering a detailed crash course on being streetwise and how to transfer notes directly from machine to pocket before moving away from it). Same b!tch was there again, she came over to us after seeing me withdraw the money and started asking for it. When we ignored her, she literally started following us through town, and suddenly there were two of her fellow local beggars on our tail as well - again, this doesn't sound scary until you remember that we were literally preteens at the time. We ended up taking refuge in the O2 shop on the main street, while through the window we could literally see this woman and her crew actually circling the shop like vultures, pacing back and forth around that corner and glancing in the windows, waiting for us to leave. Ended up having to call the parents for help, and the three of them scarpered quickly enough when we left the shop to get immediately into the parents' car waiting outside.

This is what's meant by "aggressive begging". It's not just nagging people or guilt-bombing them, it often involves straight up intimidation of people who for one reason or another aren't in a position to stand up for themselves, and in my case, it literally involved all-out stalking and then what I can only describe as besiegement. Anyone who thinks that this is just the well off having a go at those in need is missing the point of what the "aggressive" in "aggressive begging" actually means - it's not just about people heckling you in the street, it's about out-and-out physical intimidation and sometimes theft.

Good riddance to the lot of them. Fair play to the Gardaí. Let's hope the courts don't f*ck this up by letting them all go as usual.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

All the Roma should be rounded up by the Gardai and deported. They bring absolutely no benefit or contribution to any country they drift into and seem to involved in one scam or another. Very often they are involved in theiving also.

Delighted to see the Gardai cracking down on them - long overdue but better late than never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

I don't give money to people begging. I give them food instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I don't give money to people begging. I give them food instead.

What the hell are they going to do with food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i always heard her name knocking about but never knew much about her.
    of late ive seen a few tweets of hers that suggest she has a few screws loose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

The truth is detaining does nothing. Catch and release wont even put them on a register. A highly motivated group of lads could organize and police them i bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

They could do the same in cork. Turning into a massive problem around patrick st the last 18 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

We will just end up doing what the Spanish did pay them a bucket load of dole money to move on only to find them moving on up to the east side as they finally got a piece of the pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

So when we hear from these charities every day about people begging on the street and blaming the government as usual most of it was lies???

Well I’m shocked.

Not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There was a Roma lad in Cork years ago known for being a bit of a scumbag and very aggressive in begging specifically to older people. I worked in a shop at the time and amongst us we'd always try and keep an eye out for what he was doing.
    One day myself and another guy were bringing something to a customer's car and we saw this guy coming towards us, there was a teenage girl (probably drug addict) just doing the "normal" begging with the cup in front. The young fella bends down like he's going to give her cash and slaps her open palmed across the face, the smack was unreal.

I remember thinking "fcuk I can't do anything here" when the fella who's car we were going to threw a punch at him that we never saw coming, it was one of those perfect punches, the lad dropped like a sack, spark out. Never thought the guy had it in him, especially as he was with his 2 young kids. Perfect karma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kneemos wrote: »
    What the hell are they going to do with food!

Er, eat it?

I have done that when one in Donegal Town begged me to buy her lunch.
    She was delighted/

The same one used ti come to my market stall with her baby,crying, "no milk... no Pampers.." I sent her off to V de Paul

She also saw I had a large flagon of milk in my car and chased me down the road.... I took refuge in the bank!

I have no money to give; but I would never see anyone go hungry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I hope most people are aware that most will refuse to accept food as they want cash and those that take food will sell it to the rare genuine cases who are hungry so they can get cash ?

When you've seen a gang of scruffs get out a Merc by the Millennium bridge and scatter with their signs, you tend to patch up the bleeding heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Public information campaign is what's needed urging people not to give money to these sorts. Cut off the money at its source.
    People are soft touches here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I stupidly gave money to a Romanian gypsy*years ago. He was holding up a piece of paper with "I need €10" written on it. He had a child aged about two with him and I felt sorry for him. I took all the change out my pocket, which must have been about €3 or €4, and handed it to him.

He looked at the change with a look of disgust as if I'd put a pile of shit in his hand and said "that's not enough". I shook my head and walked away. What I really should have done was grabbed the money back out of the fuckers hand.

This was many years ago when these people were a new thing here. I wouldn't give any of them the steam off my piss now.
    *Deliberately posting that to see how many people will rush to be the first to point out the difference between Roma and Romanians.

Only says good things about you.

You are generous so you gave.
    You are smart so you learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Titan Glow wrote: »
    The 'Roma' can **** off back to India where they belong.

I thanked this not for the sentiment expressed but for being ethnically accurate. Almost every thread on the Roma has some idiot confusing them with Romanians.
    Public information campaign is what's needed urging people not to give money to these sorts. Cut off the money at its source.
    People are soft touches here.

I completely agree with this. I have never given anything to the Roma. If everyone else did this, they'd be gone from this country quickly. A public information is the only way that we could do this on a large scale.

I'm honestly amazed that there are still people in this country who think that the street Roma are charity cases and not organised criminal gang members.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not sure if it's still the same now, but a few years ago there were a couple of houses on the North Circular Rd where the organised beggars would surface from, they would all scamper out of the houses in the morning at the same time with their instructions of where to target.

During the day they would have the organisers visit them at certain locations to get the take and send them on to a new location if that one isn't lucrative enough.
    If there was someone already begging at the new location that wasn't in their crew, the others would be 'moved on'.

This would go on til the evening where they returned back to the NCR.

I remember seeing one lad one day that had a brand new iPhone and runners that retailed at about €160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It is worth remembering that for the most part the beggars on the street aren't personally coining it in. You've got some pimp in the background who's directing their actions and enforcing their authority with violence and other threats.

That doesn't mean you should give them money - the exact opposite - but have a little consideration for their background and the sh1tty hand they've been dealt. They feel like they have no other option; they probably have no identification papers at all, and believe they have no other way of making money except to deal with their pimp.

Food is a good one. Especially if they have a child with them. The pimp has no use for food, and giving them food is a tiny ray of personal freedom in an otherwise brutal existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Maybe if you could easily buy hostel vouchers and food and grocery vouchers, then you could give non-cash donations to people who are genuinely in bad circumstances.

It would remove the cash risk but keep the ability to be bailed out by the kindness of strangers.

When I'm asked if I have money for a hostel by someone on the street I would really rather be able to just give them a voucher for or towards a hostel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The walk down to Lansdowne from Baggot street last night and all other match nights. Strategically placed all the way along and creaming it in. Mostly slightly inebriated men emptying their pockets for them. They’re clever bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Commissioner Drew Harris is certainly getting AGS out from their desk bound positions lately. A breath of fresh air and a good start. Targeting organised begging, targeting Traveller gangs with the CAB, telling AGS that they are there to serve the people, not the organisation etc.

I never give money to anyone begging on the streets. We are a very generous nation and no one will go hungry. The welfare and other supports are there whether homeless or not. I donate to Capuchin Day Centre though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Remember that every € you hand over to those bastards built this^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Pesky Romans. What next- riding their chariots down Grafton street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Pesky Romans. What next- riding their chariots down Grafton street?

what have they ever done for us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I gave a fiver or tenner to the young and incredibly aggressive Roma woman...

No one is going to care, you're not a minority.

Stop being racist :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Typical Irish Time snowflake rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

robbed us, lived on a rounabout on the M50 and robbed us even more

neris wrote: »
    robbed us, lived on a rounabout on the M50 and robbed us even more

the concept of humour is clearly alien to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

What a complete tool. Quite simply, her contribution to society is on par with the aggressive beggars. Useless, idiotic woman. Twitter is a cancer when mixed in with and utilised by the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

inforfun wrote: »

The Rathkeale of Eastern Europe.

• Advertisement

you have to admit they do have taste and style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ok Ill bite. The aquaduct.........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I thought this was just some eejit on twitter but it's a writer with a platform via the Irish Times?

At least the responses to that stupid tweet were sane and sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Not sure if it's still the same now, but a few years ago there were a couple of houses on the North Circular Rd where the organised beggars would surface from, they would all scamper out of the houses in the morning at the same time with their instructions of where to target.

Just beyond the Mater, big white house a little bit back from the road before the junction where the Big Tree is/was.

Fire Brigade have been in on a few occasions I believe, the numbers living in it are apparently off the charts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

you have to admit they do have taste and style.

I think your message fell victim of the swear filter here. There are 2 words missing, 1 before "taste" and 1 before "style"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

prinzeugen wrote: »
    I remember the one that used to hang around the Abbey St entrance to Easons with the plastic doll wrapped up in a blanket.

She was at it for years.

First time I came across something like this was around the Coliseum a good few years ago. Begging, bent over like they were 90 and the 'stump' of a leg out as if they couldn't walk then seeing them changing in the trees, full of life and not a bother on them.

A 16 year old with a blanket, a bent knee and a neck like a jockey's bo**ox can work miracles.

I think your message fell victim of the swear filter here. There are 2 words missing, 1 before "taste" and 1 before "style"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭corks finest

JupiterKid wrote: »
    All the Roma should be rounded up by the Gardai and deported. They bring absolutely no benefit or contribution to any country they drift into and seem to involved in one scam or another. Very often they are involved in theiving also.

Delighted to see the Gardai cracking down on them - long overdue but better late than never.
    Yes fcuk them out,they don't give anything, repeat anything to our country,,,,and I'm not saying this lightly,my son's mother is Romanian,not Roma,huge difference,I worked on / off in Romanian orphanages / the/ aids clinics for 12 yrs plus,not biased where Romanian ppl are concerned,but these parasites need to be deported,same scamming all over Europe ,needs to be stopped,, fellow Irish ppl FFS wake up,don't donate towards criminality,I've seen first hand the mansion's the bosses live in RO,also seen the slums ,done in city dumps where the ordinary Roma live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

seamus wrote: »
    It is worth remembering that for the most part the beggars on the street aren't personally coining it in. You've got some pimp in the background who's directing their actions and enforcing their authority with violence and other threats.

That doesn't mean you should give them money - the exact opposite - but have a little consideration for their background and the sh1tty hand they've been dealt. They feel like they have no other option; they probably have no identification papers at all, and believe they have no other way of making money except to deal with their pimp.

Food is a good one. Especially if they have a child with them. The pimp has no use for food, and giving them food is a tiny ray of personal freedom in an otherwise brutal existence.

Looking back, the ones I encountered in Donegal were all women with children. The men exploited the kids; one wet cold day in one town a wee girl in a cotton dress and barefoot was being made to dance by her father ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

do you know where they don't do this? Romania. the cops there hockey them out of it if they pull this sheite.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

AGC wrote: »
    Just beyond the Mater, big white house a little bit back from the road before the junction where the Big Tree is/was.

Fire Brigade have been in on a few occasions I believe, the numbers living in it are apparently off the charts.

I believe they were moved on from NCR, haven't checked it out lately, but the houses were boarded up for a while.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Looking back, the ones I encountered in Donegal were all women with children. The men exploited the kids; one wet cold day in one town a wee girl in a cotton dress and barefoot was being made to dance by her father ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Seems like a lot of them live quite a brutal existence, far worse than is necessary in modern Europe, while the family gang heads live in luxury. Arrest the begging gangs sure but you need the other countries to do a CAB on the wealth holders too

Seems like a lot of them live quite a brutal existence, far worse than is necessary in modern Europe, while the family gang heads live in luxury. Arrest the begging gangs sure but you need the other countries to do a CAB on the wealth holders too
    Google: Hunedoara or Buzescu gypsy houses - two towns in Romanaia where the Roma kingpins like to build their mansions. This is where the money you give to these people goes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Google: Hunedoara or Buzescu gypsy houses - two towns in Romanaia where the Roma kingpins like to build their mansions. This is where the money you give to these people goes.
    Yeah I know, that's what you need a CAB for

• Advertisement
Advertisement