Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE BIG SNOWS OF 1947, 1963 & 1982

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

"That night, a major Arctic depression approached the coast of Cork and Kerry and advanced north-east across Ireland. As the black winds began howling down the chimneys, so the new barrage began. When Francie awoke on Tuesday morning, the outside world was being pounded by the most powerful blizzard of the 20th century."

Perhaps if the fronts last Christmas Day had come in at that angle, we could have had a nationwide blizzard.

Anyway it's incredible to think that snow fell on 30 days out of 56 that winter!

If there was a such thing as a Magic Genie, you can guess what my first wish would be :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

1963 was like the 2 x 2010 freezes except it lasted a week or two longer than either of them and therefore froze deeper and harder.

1947 started very late ( FEB) , snowdrifted in wind as it fell, lasted months and dumped unheard of quantities of snow on us. I heard the last bits only melted in north facing valleys in May of that year. 1982 snowed heavily for one day and froze for a week after, it was nothing.

1963 and 2010 were cold but there was feck all snow mixed in with it really, and that snow froze instead of drifting.

Read the 1947 thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054978732

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Don't forget 1917.
    An even more severe snow storm struck on the 1st April 1917. Many places were cut off for
    several days. Snow lay to an estimated depth of 1.3 m with drifts of 3.0 m. In 1917 falls in
    Ireland, at least in the south and west, were the heaviest since February, 1892, and probably
    the heaviest in the whole 50 years (back to 1876).

www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/HeavySnows1917.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

* Raises Glass *

" TO THE WINTER OF 2011-2012! , MAY ALL BECOME WHITE WITH BEAUTY! "

:D

I believe there was also a significant snowfall in Feb 1933, which deposited 2 feet of snow. Although there seems to be no account of it in that link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I believe there was also a significant snowfall in Feb 1933, which deposited 2 feet of snow. Although there seems to be no account of it in that link?

Had a look at the wetterzentrale archive. I'd say it must have been this:

Rrea00119330226.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

1947. My da talks about coming home from school for the holidays in June, and still snow on the side of the road. He lived in the Sperrins in Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

My father says the snow was so high that you wouldn't see the ditches.
    It lasted for a long time on the Kilkenny hills and the people in the city would say to the people from the hills that 'you still have the snow up there?, in kind of a put down way given Kilkenny city had become snowfree.
    The people from the hills would say 'you will get it all in water yet.'
    Kilkenny city suffered record flooding when the melting occured.

As my father says, the snow we had last winter and before is nothing compared to 1947, where people died as doctors couldn't reach them and livestock died from starvation as the summer of 1946 was very bad when it came to making the hay.
    Some were feeding ivy from trees to their animals.
    It was bad for the people too as food was rationed after the war, pure hardship for man and beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    1963 was like the 2 x 2010 freezes except it lasted a week or two longer than either of them and therefore froze deeper and harder.

Agree, but I would say that the 1962/1963 winter was a far more brutal winter overall than that of the 2009/2010 one, especially in terms of actual 'felt' cold.

Just having a quick look at the stats for both January 1963 & January 2010 (as both this months were the coldest months within these cold winters) they reveal that January 2010, while certainly chilly, would have been nothing compared to that that would have been experienced in January 1963. This would be mainly down to the strength of the wind and the air mass source in both months.

Mean MSLP map for Jan 2010:

173519.png
    Image Source: ECMWF

In January 2010, Ireland was for much of the time stuck under col to weak, slack ridge type conditions which kept winds light to calm for much of the month and as reflected in the chart above. My reckoning (open to debate) is that the predominant air mass during this month was Pm (or mP) sourced.

The mean monthly Sea level Pressure values at Malin Head, Dublin Airport and Valentia for January 2010 were amazingly similar:

Malin Head:
    1015.0 hPa
    Dublin Apt: 1015.6 hPa
    Valentia: 1015.2 hPa.

A difference of just 0.2 hPa from north to south, and 0.6 hPa west to east!

January 1963 was a different story:

MSLP Map for Jan 1963:
    173518.png
    Image Source: ECMWF

MSLP values for January 1963:
    Malin Head: 1027.7 hPa
    Dublin Airport: 1025.8 hPa
    Valentia: 1022.8 hPa

A pressure gradient of 5.0 hPa from north to south, with the highest values at Malin Head suggesting that stiff easterly winds from the continent were the dominant force this month which would have have resulted in significant wind chills that were not really experienced in Jan 2010; also, mean relative humidity values in January 1963 were (and still are) the lowest January values on record which would have added quite a bite to the breeze.

Tables below showing mean air temperatures and relative humidity values for Jan 1963 & Jan 2010 at Malin Head, Dublin (Casement & Phoenix Park respectively) and Valentia Observatory:

173521.png

173522.png
    Data source: KNMI

I think in terms of sheer brutality, the winter of 1962/1963 would triumph over that of 2009/2010 by a large margin. We can only envy those who actually got to experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Thanks for that Deep.

I know december is a different month and therefore harder to compare to January 1963.
    But I found December 2010 to be quite alot colder than January 2010.
    I had to remove ice from my front door frame quite a few mornings just to open it and the diesel in my car thickened and caused problems quite a few times.

So maybe December 2010 is a bit closer to what a 1963 winter felt like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Thanks for that Deep.

I know december is a different month and therefore harder to compare to January 1963.
    But I found December 2010 to be quite alot colder than January 2010.
    I had to remove ice from my front door frame quite a few mornings just to open it and the diesel in my car thickened and caused problems quite a few times.

So maybe December 2010 is a bit closer to what a 1963 winter felt like.

It definitely was Snowstreams. Even here in Galway the temp in December got down to -15c, colder than even Jan 1963 managed. I just focused in on a sample month from the winter 09/10 as it was contained in the coldest winter overall since 1963 to compare it to the equally long winter of that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

People blame the politicans for everything
    Parents were telling me in 1982, the government got huge criticism over what happened.
    They held meetings, wrote a report and in the end nothing was done

Has anything changed these days :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

mikemac wrote: »
    Yes it has, things are a lot better.

A

In January 2010, Ireland was for much of the time stuck under col to weak, slack ridge type conditions which kept winds light to calm for much of the month and as reflected in the chart above. My reckoning (open to debate) is that the predominant air mass during this month was Pm (or mP) sourced.

]
    Although it wasn't quiet cold as temperatures in December 2010,
    it's still hard to believe we could get such cold temperatures from a modified source back in 2009/10. There wasn't much snow on the ground western side of the country to help reduce temperatures either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In 1982, I remember the army helping out with moving peope around and queues for bread an milk. We had drifts in the suburbs that were 5ft deep. Had to dig out the back door of a few houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

mikemac wrote: »
    People blame the politicans for everything
    Parents were telling me in 1982, the government got huge criticism over what happened.
    They held meetings, wrote a report and in the end nothing was done

To be fair, it is better that nothing be done sometimes.

After '82 the Govt bought a snowplough - then the largest in Europe - which naturally was never needed again. Ultimately it went to Inverness........

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

Whats kind of interesting is that we've seen horribly bad winters here before (and even taking into account that these winters are rare), why hasn't there been better measures put in place to deal with them. The country still grinds to a hault just as it did all those years ago. If our geography means that we can suffer from these conditions from time to time you think we'd be prepared for drifts as high as poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭srocliffe

See Mr. Presentable's post above yours for the answer to that question.

We simply don't get these conditions on a regular enough basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

I never said we needed the "biggest snow plough in Europe" to be bought again, but don't you find it abit annoying that the whole place needs to grind to a hault when we do get these bad conditions even if it is only once every now and then? Maybe it's just me but I think we should learn from the past and try be better equipped. We don't know whats down the line, I don't fully buy into the whole long range forecasting lark but it couldn't hurt to be somewhat prepared even if it means we're moving at a snails pace... it's better then not going anywhere at all if it snows!!

Just a though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I never said we needed the "biggest snow plough in Europe" to be bought again, but don't you find it abit annoying that the whole place needs to grind to a hault when we do get these bad conditions even if it is only once every now and then? Maybe it's just me but I think we should learn from the past and try be better equipped. We don't know whats down the line, I don't fully buy into the whole long range forecasting lark but it couldn't hurt to be somewhat prepared even if it means we're moving at a snails pace... it's better then not going anywhere at all if it snows!!

The point is, the big snows are listed here:
    47, 63, 82, 2010. Bit of a pattern: only 4 in 60 years. If the country only shuts down for a few weeks once every 15 years its not too big a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What qualifys as 'big snow'?
    Wasn't there over 30cms in places last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Pangea wrote: »

yeah there was, and there was widespread snow around most of the country too, so 2010 qualifies as a big snow year surely? I think you're a bit confused though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

The point is, the big snows are listed here:
    47, 63, 82, 2010. Bit of a pattern: only 4 in 60 years. If the country only shuts down for a few weeks once every 15 years its not too big a deal.
    good man tony,im going to forward you as the "Snow Peoples" spokes person to argue this point when the snow haters come on here in winter,who's going to second the motion :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think the snow was that bad the last time. Where I am in Dublin, they simply did nothing about if for about a week. No grit nothing. There wasn't that much snow. They also closed roads for no real reason, meaning everyone had to do go down the same road and if there was a jam, or someone stuck, you couldn't route find around it to avoid it. They didn't even grit most of the main roads.

It didn't seem like they didn't have enough grit, as they claimed. It felt like they had no grit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A "big snow" is only a big snow if it's followed by a big freeze with temperatures below freezing day and night giving major disruption.
    A heavy snowfall in January 1987, almost as heavy as 1982 thawed almost immediately giving very little disruption so therefore its not remembered as a "big snow"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A "big snow" is only a big snow if it's followed by a big freeze with temperatures below freezing day and night giving major disruption.

That pretty much describes last December and I would class it as big snow myself :cool:
    Not sure if the disruption was 'major' but it was pretty disrupting.

That pretty much describes last December and I would class it as big snow myself :cool:
    Not sure if the disruption was 'major' but it was pretty disrupting.

Also late December 2009 going into January 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

On the 23rd of February 1933 an area of low pressure met a block of high pressure to the north resulting in heavy snowfalls and blizzards over Ireland and Britain
    Capture-2.jpg

Contemporary newspaper reports tell that conditions in Ireland were pretty bad leaving Ireland virtually cut off from the outside world for almost two days

paper.jpgCapture1.jpg

There's also a brilliant account in [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A letter from Patrick McDonnell NT Ballinlough to his sister in Cortown[/FONT]
    http://www.irishidentity.com/extras/weather/stories/bigsnow.htm

I also managed to dig out this British Pathe Newsreel film
    "Blizzard aftermath. Hundreds of buses throughout the Irish Free State were held up by snow covered roads. Fallen trees and telegraph poles dislocated communications with all parts of Country."

Eire, Southern Ireland, Republic of Ireland.

Shots of Dublin in the snow. Wind is blowing the snow across O'Connell Street as the trams continue to go up and down. More shots of trams. People find it difficult to walk in the snow.

Fionagus wrote: »
    On the 23rd of February 1933 an area of low pressure met a block of high pressure to the north resulting in heavy snowfalls and blizzards over Ireland and Britain
    Capture-2.jpg

Contemporary newspaper reports tell that conditions in Ireland were pretty bad leaving Ireland virtually cut off from the outside world for almost two days

paper.jpgCapture1.jpg

There's also a brilliant account in [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A letter from Patrick McDonnell NT Ballinlough to his sister in Cortown[/FONT]
    http://www.irishidentity.com/extras/weather/stories/bigsnow.htm

I also managed to dig out this British Pathe Newsreel film

Thanks a lot for taking the time to get all this information Fionagus!

Snow Gods, any chance of a similar event this year? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I was an 8 year old living in Firhouse D24 back in '82. It was mega at the foothills of the Dublin mountains needless to say. I've no idea what it was like in Bray for '82 though. However, I was in Bray for '87 and that was over a foot deep down by the seafront, which is why last Winter I was often heard to say, "Yeah, 5 inches is great an' all but it ain't no '87" :D As several other Bray posters keep reminding me accumulations for the month last year as a whole just a little inland in Bray town were at the 9-12" mark...like that was supposed to make me feel better! Eh, no it makes me feel worse!! :D To know that the edges of the South County Dublin and Greystones Streamers were in actual fact crossing parts of the town while the seafront found itself in an even more unlucky thin corridor between streamers day in day out than I feared. It was nothing to do with elevation, just pure constant bad luck that my kilometer of coastline found itself in the gap bar 3 occasions during the whole month.

Advertisement