Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE BIG SNOWS OF 1947, 1963 & 1982

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I just about remember the 82 snow, I can remember queuing for food and milk outside Superquinn. We also have a newspaper clipping at home from one of the newspapers with a photo of my father skiing near Ticknock (not something Irish people were used to seeing in the early 80s hence the front page picture)

The 87 snow was pretty memorable too, but lasted for only 4/5 days. I remember the Tuesday was so harsh that none of the kids could play out in it.

Happy daze... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

delw wrote: »
    good man tony,im going to forward you as the "Snow Peoples" spokes person to argue this point when the snow haters come on here in winter,who's going to second the motion :D:D

I'll second the motion because I LOVE snow! Snow and clear blue skies sure as hell beat wet grey miserable days! I just like to still be able to get around when it snows which doesn't seem to happen here but I guess theres a consequence if you want to enjoy the snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

This was Sandyford back in 82.
    6143284865_4717a9558f_z.jpg

I remember everybody walking everywhere. Very few cars out.

6143834772_f07a6d3b95_z.jpg

This drift was about 4 foot high in the back garden.

6143284507_533850eb8b_z.jpg

Drifts up against the outside wall and up by the front window.

I also remember a hugh drift which covered the road beyond the maxol garage which had to have a channel dug out through it. I've no photos of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

would there have been more snow in 82 or last december in dublin? its hard to tell depth of snow from photographs. I recorded 17 inches of snow in my back garden in dublin on christmas day last year..pure bliss:D hoping for more this winter and for it to last longer than just december this time:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

bb1234567 wrote: »
    would there have been more snow in 82 or last december in dublin? its hard to tell depth of snow from photographs. I recorded 17 inches of snow in my back garden in dublin on christmas day last year..pure bliss:D hoping for more this winter and for it to last longer than just december this time:)

For me there was vastly more snow in 82. But nothing like as cold. There was much more effort in clearing it though. Not just roads. Paths, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I have fond memories of the '82 snowstorm. One is where i opened the front door of the house and saw the print of the door in a drift that went higher than me. I was 7 at the time so it wasn't a giant drift or anything but the image is stuck in my head all the same!

We used to walk up the fields and OVER ditches that were maybe 10 feet high with only a few twigs showing where the ditch was! This wasn't everywhere mind, but it was going about 50 feet either side of where we crossed at that point.

Other places had little or no snow due to high wind blowing it elsewhere. We were quite rural and eventually an articulated loader like you'd see in a quarry would come by, clearing the road. It was like a luge track afterwards and my dads car would bump its way down the hill to work with a wall of hardened snow either side. We used to wonder why he was busting a gut to get to work.....

We had great craic!! Guaranteed week off school every year after Christmas! Yay!

Fast forward 30 years and i am now going to be busting a gut getting to work.
    But it'll be great craic all the same!

bb1234567 wrote: »

What I remember from 82 were the drifts of snow. Hedgerows and walls disappeared etc. Last year was a quiet calm fall of deep snow in Donegal with no drifts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

The one thing everyone forgets about '82 is that it all came down in 24 hours & not constantly like last December.
    It also drifted due to much higher winds so it seemed deeper in places.
    I also remember playing football on the canal.
    Yet it all came & went in about 10 days.

Last December's snow lasted pretty much the entire month with 2 heavy fall periods.
    I also think it was colder than in '82.
    2010 was more an east coast event whereas 1982 was countrywide.

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    2010 was more an east coast event

I don't think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

muckish wrote: »
    This was Sandyford back in 82.
    6143284865_4717a9558f_z.jpg

I remember everybody walking everywhere. Very few cars out.

6143834772_f07a6d3b95_z.jpg

This drift was about 4 foot high in the back garden.

6143284507_533850eb8b_z.jpg

Drifts up against the outside wall and up by the front window.

I also remember a hugh drift which covered the road beyond the maxol garage which had to have a channel dug out through it. I've no photos of it though.

second pic of the drifts is cool...
    muckish wrote: »
    I don't think so!

either do i ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    2010 was more an east coast event ...

2010 was a bit more of a coastal event. The snow in mayo was nearly if not as deep as the snow in dublin. But in Galway city it was nowhere near as deep as mayo or dublin.

Advertisement