Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bord Gais removing Affility Discount

• 20-05-2021 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bord Gais removed the affinity discount from my account back in December without notifying me first. Presumably this was because the contract expired. Seems to be pretty underhanded not to let me know. I rang them there and they offered to put me on the discount if I sign another contract, too kind! Were they compelled to let me know first or should I have kept an eye on it? I'd rather go somewhere else instead of rewarding their messing, is anyone else better?

Thanks,

Griff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

No, like all service providers, they tell you the deal is for 6 months or 12 months etc and its up to you to manage/monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Gooser14

griffdaddy wrote:
    Bord Gais removed the affinity discount from my account back in December without notifying me first. Presumably this was because the contract expired. Seems to be pretty underhanded not to let me know. I rang them there and they offered to put me on the discount if I sign another contract, too kind! Were they compelled to let me know first or should I have kept an eye on it? I'd rather go somewhere else instead of rewarding their messing, is anyone else better?

Have you checked your last bill from them prior to December for notification of contract expiry?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks,

Griff

Did you read the terms & conditions of the initial contract when you signed up?

This will normally clearly outline when any sort of discount ends (ie: when the contract ends), due to this they don't have to notify you because they already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

From what I remember at the time they read the terms out over the phone when I extended it last time. I guess I'd been so used to having other companies call at the door that I'd forgotten about it when it that wasn't happening during lockdown. There was no notification or anything though. The discount just dropped off my bill I see now. Going to move to energia and put a reminder in my phone for when it expires again. To be honest I'd have stayed with them if they called me to let me know but I'm not going to reward what I see as a shrewd business practice. (I fully accept that according to the contract it was up to me to cancel and change provider or renew the deal.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Their T&C's state that you should have been notified prior to end of contract:

"12. Termination

(a) This Contract will end on the Contract End Date (unless terminated earlier by us in accordance with Condition 12 (e)). If you continue to take a supply of electricity from us beyond the Contract End Date you will be subject to our Standard Terms and Conditions of Electricity Supply and be placed on our standard electricity tariff. We will send you a notice at least 30 days and no more than 60 days prior to the end of your Commitment Period."

• Advertisement

Just changed over to energia from bord gais......31% discount on electricity unit rate.

The trick is to change EVERY 366 days..... they want you " on the hook" for the 12month contract....its up to you to jump ship the day after contract expires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Just changed over to energia from bord gais......31% discount on electricity unit rate.

The trick is to change EVERY 366 days..... they want you " on the hook" for the 12month contract....its up to you to jump ship the day after contract expires

Don't be tricked by percentages. 20% discount from company A could be better than a 30% discount from company B. The unit rate comes first, then the percentage discount and also the annual charges can vary by about 40 or much higher for pre-pay providers.

Stay Free

Don't be tricked by percentages. 20% discount from company A could be better than a 30% discount from company B. The unit rate comes first, then the percentage discount and also the annual charges can vary by about 40 or much higher for pre-pay providers.

I had done all my homework, overall energia will result in NETT reduction of 7% on my bord gais deal when we were pals, but after the 12month honeymoon turns out I wasn't their pal after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Just an update on this, I went through the complaint process with bord gais and they applied the discount retrospectively and credited my account with over €150. Thanks for all the help!

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Just an update on this, I went through the complaint process with bord gais and they applied the discount retrospectively and credited my account with over €150. Thanks for all the help!

Good work......well done

• Advertisement
Advertisement