Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagued by scam calls *DON'T POST PHONE NUMBERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

All numbers not in my contact list go to the answer machine. None of the scam calls ever leave a message. If the person ringing doesn't leave a message they can't have anything important to convey to me is my take.

I know that won't be the same for everyone but I hate the nuisance of them. At night, only my pre-set priority numbers calling/texting can be heard. The rest are on silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Is anybody else receiving an excessive amount of scam calls from the UK? Yesterday alone I received 7 of these calls. I didn’t answer them and blocked each number but each call was from another variation of the same phone number from “Brentwood, UK”

Is there a way to stop these calls?

Never received one that I answered,I've all international barred,as are unknown numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

I cancelled Amazon prime yesterday and, within an hour I got a call from an 075 number ( Carlow I think) asking me to press "1" to renew my prime.

This call came to my landline which I have never given to Amazon.

Correction call was from 057 not 075.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    I cancelled Amazon prime yesterday and, within an hour I got a call from an 075 number ( Carlow I think) asking me to press "1" to renew my prime.

It’s a scam. We are getting those calls on our landlines

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

yrreg0850 wrote: »

Just a coincidence. I've got those calls to my landline and never had Prime.

• Advertisement

It’s a scam. We are getting those calls on our landlines

074 is Donegal so miles away from Carlow , but it could be India or anywhere

They are getting smarter and know that a call coming from Uganda or Ivory Coast isn’t likely to be picked up so using uk or Irish numbers is getting more common. They can also piggy back on legit companies numbers. There’s a regular one I get from a Wexford company and the company is aware it happens but can’t do anything about it.

Easiest not to pick them up and then just block the number from calling you again.

That's exactly what to do it's annoying but worth it( block)

spurious wrote: »
    I usually ask the Indian ones would their mother be proud to know they are trying to fool people out of their money. It generally doesn't go down well. :)

As a painter in different houses regularly I answered a few after constant ringing and immediately on hearomg indisn voices I put thumb and forefinger together and literally blew a mighty ear piercing whistle down the line,(hirt me also,but I felt good )

My long gone ma was getting filthy calls regularly,she forbade us to answer,on went the ear muffs and out came the refs whistle, sorted it after a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

As a painter in different houses regularly I answered a few after constant ringing and immediately on hearomg indisn voices I put thumb and forefinger together and literally blew a mighty ear piercing whistle down the line,(hirt me also,but I felt good )

My long gone ma was getting filthy calls regularly,she forbade us to answer,on went the ear muffs and out came the refs whistle, sorted it after a few weeks

Whistles down the phone have no impact since digital exchanges came in. The frequency that offended the ears isn't transmitted and Phone systems now usually have automatic gain control applied to the output of the transmitter / microphone

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

074 is Donegal so miles away from Carlow , but it could be India or anywhere

Sorry I got my codes mixed up the call was from an 057 number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

So I answered one of these calls from 00441274296309 out of curiosity. It was some trading company saying I had made an enquiry that I was looking to increase my income by trading. She had my full name and knew I lived in Dublin, I never confirmed any of these details with her. She had gotten my number from Revolut, so that explains it somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭10-10-20

She had my full name and knew I lived in Dublin, I never confirmed any of these details with her. She had gotten my number from Revolut, so that explains it somewhat.

Ah ha, Revolut. Most interesting.
    When I was signing up to Revolut, there was no way that I agreed to receive calls from third parties, but yet I'm getting them. Bitcoin and investments. Are most posters on this thread also Revolut users?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I use Revolut. I'll be asking them some questions in a minute.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I get the investment scam calls and I have never used Revolut. They have got their hands on a data leak from somewhere I'd expect - they will never tell you how/when/where you "signed up"/"expressed an interest".

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

I set up a contact ZSpam (putting a z infront of it sends it to the bottom of my contact list) and then add the prefixes of numbers to it and then select block all contact.

So in the case of these 00441277287707

Just add 00441277 to block all of this series.....
    I’ve also added country codes such as Ivory Coast etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

But just remember it will block all calls from numbers containing this prefix....

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

No I haven’t. I can’t pinpoint how these people have my number

They may not have your number as such, it may simply be a random number generator that is ringing you. Did they know your name?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The poster you're quoting has already said they had their name.

The financial trading scammers have names and partial addresses, from a specific unknown data breach I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

They may not have your number as such, it may simply be a random number generator that is ringing you. Did they know your name?

Yes they had my name. Calls have reduced a lot in the past fortnight. I still get one call every other day and block the number each time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭JohnMcm1

I've been getting calls from "the department of protection" all morning with an automated message telling me i'm in trouble with the gardai lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

Apparently the National Crime Agency are about to lock me up for fraud according to the robot that calls me almost every day.

Apparently the National Crime Agency are about to lock me up for fraud according to the robot that calls me almost every day.

+353 22 number??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

Nah, it is a 0044.

Nah, it is a 0044.

I got about 6 calls from a +353 22 number today that has to be within Ireland doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

JohnMcm1 wrote: »
    I got about 6 calls from a +353 22 number today that has to be within Ireland doesn't it?

Spoofing a Mallow, Co.Cork number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I thought you could get charged for answering them?

No. You can't get charged for answering.

The scam for some numbers is that they ring you and cut it off. Then the natural response for some people is to call the number back.

That's when it will cost you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

She had gotten my number from Revolut, so that explains it somewhat.

Incorrect statement.
    She "claims" to have got the number from revolut.

Considering its a SCAM call, why would you believe her claim that the number came from revolut?

I get emails saying my banking 365 is compromised. Maybe they got my email from bank if Ireland? - I've never had a bank of Ireland account.

It's called phishing. 1m+ revolut accounts are in Ireland, so good chance someone that they call has a revolut account and suddenly they think the call is genuine.

That's how these scams work

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

The Department of Social Protection has issued a warning about scam phone calls from people claiming to be department officials.

The department said that the call displays a range of numbers, including its own helpline number, which is 1890 800 024.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0411/1209088-scam-phone-calls-warning/

Saudades wrote: »
    The Department of Social Protection has issued a warning about scam phone calls from people claiming to be department officials.

The department said that the call displays a range of numbers, including its own helpline number, which is 1890 800 024.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0411/1209088-scam-phone-calls-warning/

I got a call from "the department of social protection" informing me im wanted by the gardai for discrepancies or something like that about 6 times yesterday from 3 different +353 22.. numbers. No idea where they would have gotten my number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Yes they had my name. Calls have reduced a lot in the past fortnight. I still get one call every other day and block the number each time

I got one from Tunisia this morning. It didn't ring, just showed up as a missed call.

Advertisement