Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to sell house in West Dublin ( Is the market slowing down )

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭randoplh134

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Op, could you specify where in 'West Dublin' your property is located ? Might give some context ....

Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

That's a massive price for a terraced in Dublin 15, 325? Unless it's in Castleknock. We have bought a 3 bed semi detached bigger than usual house in a good part of Dublin 15 and it was significantly less than that. Far less at viewings and far less competing at the 280+ mark than there were lower than that because you're in the ballpark of new houses budgets then and it has far more than most areas, Fingal is bursting with new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Dublin 15

To be honest i am not surprised. The situation now in Dublin 15 is not the best. We are looking to buy and we did consider dublin 15 but with all the news, crime we will definitely not buy there. The price is way too high for Dublin 15, unless is Castleknock. For this price I can have house closer to city centre, Walkinstown, Palmerstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

anewme wrote: »
    I disagree totally. Grange Castle was coming on stream when I worked there nearly 20 years ago. It’s not much further on.

The infrastructure for Adamstown is poor. I know people there who hate it but can’t leave.

They moved the old train station in Clondalkin from Cloverhill, which ppl used to the other white elephant place.

Clonburris is going to be the same. A high percentage of social. There’s also plans for too many houses in Clondalkin, a high percentage will be social housing. There’s already too much anti social behavior. In and around Grange Castle area, scramblers, hordes etc are a scourge.

The Fonthill road is already chaos from a traffic point of view.

Anyone I know buying now who would have bought in the area are buying further out.

Op did not say if this was the area he’s trying to sell in, just giving reasons in case it is.

Grange castle has been transformed in the past 18 months , huge road improvements.

Every major new development in Dublin will have some social housing element. If that's a problem then you always have the older estates in these areas.

Adamstown is not a mess , it's far better designed than some of the mega estates being built in Dublin 13 , Lusk and Rush.

Mixed housing with some social housing is the way forward. It's how it works all over Europe. If you Google one apartment block in Dublin 18 where social housing was to be an element the hysterical responses from local residents included a request for 24 hour security.

Like many attitudes in Ireland this is one that will change in time.

I would take on a massive daily commute over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Your price is too high unless it's castleknock or right beside a train station. Lower your asking price and you will have more interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Mixed housing with some social housing is the way forward.
    Agreed, however the initial build in Clonburris looks like it will be 70% social (and "affordable"). I don't know who is going to buy the affordable, and who in their right mind will buy the 30% at full price.

It's mental, and with SF losing seats all over you can see what people think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have you a link to your house? Is it online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yes without a link nobody can say if you're overpriced or not.
    I live in West Dublin, Lucan, and 3 beds here will get 320k apart from some of the rougher areas. Mine was valued at more than that about a year ago when I was getting a valuation for a reduced mortgage rate.
    I believe every house will have a buyer on Dublin at the moment, but for the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭anewme

hmmm wrote: »
    Mixed housing with some social housing is the way forward.
    Agreed, however the initial build in Clonburris looks like it will be 70% social (and "affordable"). I don't know who is going to buy the affordable, and who in their right mind will buy the 30% at full price.

It's mental, and with SF losing seats all over you can see what people think about it.

Clonburris is a disaster waiting to happen.

Read today about plans for an additional 1160 houses between Rathcoole, Kilinarden, Belgard North and Clonburris.

Mix is 29% social, 46% affordable, 12% affordable rent and 13% private.

Op, is your house in a private estate in Dublin 15 - 325 to 260 is a fairly big drop, did you ask your EA why the bug drop?

Have you checked the property register for recent sales nearby?
    Mix is 29% social, 46% affordable, 12% affordable rent, 13% private.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

OP, Dublin 15 is probably as useful as saying West Dublin to be fair. Castleknock, blanch village (at a push) and price not too bad. Mulhuddart or corduff you're off your head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Sold a 3 bed terrace in a less than desirable area of D22 this time 2 years ago for 308k, 25k over the asking with 3 different bidders vying for it. It went sale agreed and was sold within a month of going on the market.
    Unless there has been some big changes in the market (I haven't been keeping track since selling) I think there must be some big issues with the house or location.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Sold a 3 bed terrace in a less than desirable area of D22 this time 2 years ago for 308k, 25k over the asking with 3 different bidders vying for it. It went sale agreed and was sold within a month of going on the market.
    Unless there has been some big changes in the market (I haven't been keeping track since selling) I think there must be some big issues with the house or location.

Op's house is D15, but not sure what area.

It seems the market is levelling off generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

We noticed much higher numbers at viewings for houses around the 260k asking mark in Dublin 15 than those 290k asking. Because there are so many new houses being built in Dublin 15 that are not far off that budget wise and plenty on the market that are less than 5 years old so the competition is really lacking for older houses in the area with higher asking prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

elizunia87 wrote: »
    To be honest i am not surprised. The situation now in Dublin 15 is not the best. We are looking to buy and we did consider dublin 15 but with all the news, crime we will definitely not buy there. The price is way too high for Dublin 15, unless is Castleknock. For this price I can have house closer to city centre, Walkinstown, Palmerstown.

Our friends bought in Palmerstown end of last year. They work in town. The bus is straight through on a bus lane all the way.

Not much going on there though according to them, but it is convenient and a doddle into town. Cannot say more as I don't know, but their house is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It definitely has something to do with the help to buy tax savings scheme....

Our friends bought in Palmerstown end of last year. They work in town. The bus is straight through on a bus lane all the way.

Not much going on there though according to them, but it is convenient and a doddle into town. Cannot say more as I don't know, but their house is nice.

Palmerstown not cheap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Get a new auctioneer current one is obviously not great. County/Country is full of auctioneers so negotiate a comission of .75%, I sold my house last month in a Dublin commuter town, think I just flogged it in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I had my 3 bed semi in Tallaght with attic conversion and extension valued by an estate agent at 325k, that was about 3 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I lived in a middling area of D15 for 12 years and it was great, the only downside was that there weren't any houses on the market I wanted to trade up to.

There's far too much variation to dismiss out of hand, you can be living a couple of hundred metres from absolute scumbags (I don't mean poor people, I mean violent criminals) and it would make precisely zero difference to your life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭randoplh134

The property is located in Manorfields and has undergone extensive work and upgrades such as a conservatory, decking and a significant BER energy improvement since the purchase, this is not your average run of the mill dump like most of you are making West Dublin out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Read today about plans for an additional 1160 houses between Rathcoole, Kilinarden, Belgard North and Clonburris.

Jesus...those 13% are going to be sold a pup...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The property is located in Manorfields and has undergone extensive work and upgrades such as a conservatory, decking and a significant BER energy improvement since the purchase, this is not your average run of the mill dump like most of you are making West Dublin out to be.

As someone who lives not far from there, I can say Manorfields is a nice, early 00s established area. However, the area around it (Hansfield) has seen almost 1000 brand new homes constructed in the last 5 years and is 5-10 minutes walk from the train station. Manorfields is 25+mins walk. FTBs and trader uppers are going for the brand new A rated BER homes in Hansfield of which there are plentiful supply and similar price ranges (325-350k). Supply is slowly starting to meet demand and as more people are working (unemployment less than 5%) wages are rising meaning bigger mortgages so more house hunters can be more discerning.

I'd say there is nothing wrong or offputting about your property OP...just that there is more and slightly better choice and product available in that locality. Many more homes are to be built in Hansfield and the soon to be rezoned Barnhill SDZ at the other side of the Hansfield train station so plentiful supply ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

I live near there at present and am in the process of selling our house. We have just gone sale agreed at 270k for a 3 bed terraced house. I think that the 320k sounds like it was abit over priced but 260 sounds reasonable without seeing it. Took us about 5 weeks to go sale agreed on ours.
    In terms of the market in D15 I am also buying around there and it seems very slow to me at the moment. Some really nice houses taking a good while to move and things that last year would have been snapped up are now hanging around alot longer.
    I terms of selling I always found if you see a house with such a drop in price you are always wondering what's wrong with that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

In a lot of places, new builds are putting the prices of secondhand property under pressure, especially Celtic tiger properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Op, is your house in a private estate in Dublin 15 - 325 to 260 is a fairly big drop, did you ask your EA why the bug drop?

Have you checked the property register for recent sales nearby?
    Mix is 29% social, 46% affordable, 12% affordable rent, 13% private.

The ‘full price’ homes will stay on the market for 2 years and then sell at the ‘affordable’ price unless theyre walled off and come wity security. The things people say about ballymun in the 90s is clonburris 2030

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Aren't these affordable schemes for people on an income up to 50k for an individual or up 75k for a couple? Hardly junkies we're talking about here.

Aren't these affordable schemes for people on an income up to 50k for an individual or up 75k for a couple? Hardly junkies we're talking about here.

29% social and 12% affordavle (HAP) rent is what im talking about. Not everyone in ballymun was unemployed either , but it only takes 10% to ruin an entire area, this is a 41% dice roll

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

29% social and 12% affordavle (HAP) rent is what im talking about. Not everyone in ballymun was unemployed either , but it only takes 10% to ruin an entire area, this is a 41% dice roll
    It only takes one family of scum to ruin an area not 10%

Edgware wrote: »
    It only takes one family of scum to ruin an area not 10%

True, but the problem is the ither kids join in the ‘wannabe hardman’ game and then something something neilstown...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 DingDongDitch

The chances of a 50k single / 75k combined income voluntarily accepting an affordable home in that development is slim to none. Unless they happen to be completely ignorant or clueless about the % of social housing around them. When the building of new developments eventually settles down (already starting..) the scramble for A-rated homes over location will reverse imo. Older houses in private settled areas can be brought up to standard through retrofitting programmes which will intensify and become more accessible. It can take many years for antisocial problems to appear and grow in these new developments, and as history has proved - the situation rarely reverses over time with the exception of some gentrified areas close to the city centre (Stoneybatter, etc). The social developments from decades past are still plagued by antisocial behavior (and now gangland activity) today (Ballymun, Finglas, Ballyfermot, Neilstown, etc).

Advertisement