Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study abroad New York - best way/place to book flights?

Options
  • 06-07-2019 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi I will be studying in New York state between late August and mid Dec this year.

I've never booked flights outside of EU before is there anything I need to be aware of?

I look up aerlingus website and choose my dates going and return and buy that way? Someone mentioned skyscanner to be on my phone but there's not much savings there compared to just using aerlingus website.

I can go to any NYC airport really and cost is not so much important as is keeping it simple i.e. single flight with no stops. Would this be reliable?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Skyscanner is fine for research but always book direct with the airline, that way you are cutting out the middle man in case of changes/delays etc.

Delta, American Airlines and Aer Lingus fly direct non-stop to JFK and United and Aer Lingus to Newark, NJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Skyscanner is fine for research but always book direct with the airline, that way you are cutting out the middle man in case of changes/delays etc.

Delta, American Airlines and Aer Lingus fly direct non-stop to JFK and United and Aer Lingus to Newark, NJ.
    Thanks for that. I booked Aerlingus to JFK nonstop, return. Business class for €1,600. (economy smart would have been €890) It's expensive but it's not as high as some of the other dates I had also seen and I have significant reasons why I picked business so it should be great.

I don't fly much and am confused about whether I should do Aerclub points? Do you know if they stay on my AL account indefinitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

No harm in signing up with Aer Club but unlike say Delta skymiles , it reverts to zero after a year unless you earn tier credit which is hard unless you fly a lot.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement