Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York-first timer!

Options
  • 05-07-2019 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi folks,have booked a 5 night trip to new york in september,a 20th wedding anniversary present to us!!
    anyway,flying into JFK and staying in manhattan.just looking for advice on best way to get to our hotel from JFK?
    any hidden gems to see,hoping to do all the major sights too of course.
    has anyone used the new york pass for saving on visiting the major attractions?
    any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

It’s been some years since I was there but there was a fixed taxi rate from jfk to Manhattan on a rank outside the terminal, others might confirm if this is still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Stratvs wrote:
    It’s been some years since I was there but there was a fixed taxi rate from jfk to Manhattan on a rank outside the terminal, others might confirm if this is still the case.

Yup, $55 plus tolls, tax and tip. Works out at around $70 all-in. You can book a town car service for the same money. Only way to do it, imo, you don't need the hassle of dealing with trains/Ubers with all your luggage. Definitely buy a metro card for the subway once you get into the city though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Groupon usually have discounts for the city pass and that so I'd check about on there before you buy one, they are handy to have as you can just scan your phone to get into most attractions and some offer queue skipping

withdraw or bring some dollars with you for tips etc

And most places are at least 10$ a drink

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Where in Manhattan is your hotel? if it is near the E-train line a trip on the subway could save you €50 cab fare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Top of the Rock is the best view to be had of the city I think so I'd class that as a must see. Try and go there at dusk so you see the city in daylight and lit up. Empire State Building is a very good view aswell as is the World Trade Centre but the Top of the Rock trumps them as you can see the Empire State Building and the World Trade Centre which you obviously can't from the others.

I'd also recommend renting a bike and cycling around central park. Great way to take the park in. Check out viator.com for bike rental and other attractions and passes. We got the city pass, very worthwhile.

Grand Central Station during rush hour is a sight to behold. Grab a coffee and watch the city roll by. While there check out the "whispering walls" in Grand Central. Not easy to do but if you can go there at just the right time in the morning to see the sun beaming in the giant windows they have there. Witnessed it once by chance and it was amazing.

You can go up into the crown of the statue of liberty, which not everyone is aware of, but you need to book in advance. Google "crown tickets"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭fabvinny

gwalk wrote: »
    Groupon usually have discounts for the city pass and that so I'd check about on there before you buy one, they are handy to have as you can just scan your phone to get into most attractions and some offer queue skipping

withdraw or bring some dollars with you for tips etc

And most places are at least 10$ a drink

Jaysus!!! wont be getting drunk then.....

Where in Manhattan is your hotel? if it is near the E-train line a trip on the subway could save you €50 cab fare...

upper east side,96th street. subway near the hotel . on the Q line??

is the subway system complicated?? it looks it! can do london with my eyes closed but not sure about this one!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

fabvinny wrote: »
    is the subway system complicated?? it looks it! can do london with my eyes closed but not sure about this one!!!!

Not really, we found it easy enough when over in march this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I found the NY subway more challenging than London but then again, I've no sense of direction, as someone else said, check if crown tickets are available for your dates, it's worth it as they only cost about 25 dollars each, if doing both the statue of liberty and Ellis island, allow a full day for these, you will also be able to do the memorial pools on the same evening as all in the same general area, if doing the memorial museum, there is a free access on one day per week I think, website opens for online purchase the previous day, we also did a train trip by the Hudson up to Poughkeepsie, it was really lovely but we were there a month later and the autumnal colours were amazing. The views were also fantastic and a lovely walkway bridge over the Hudson river . Also did a tour of the reserve bank where the gold is stored, I've never seen so many gold bars,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Try and get in a show on Broadway if you have the time
    You can buy discounted tickets from a booth on time square. Well worth the queueing..a great night out. Also worth checking out live music gigs on in the city at the time of your visit. You can see.some great acts in smaller venues for reasonable prices. Its not a cheap city to visit but my God it's worth it..
    No place like it.
    I am envious! Also subway is not that complicated. You can get a map of lines before you go.. if your hotel is near a particular line just check what stops are along the route and work it out...or ask are hotel which is best line.to get.you to x...generally the receptionists / concierge at the main hotels are very knowledgeable and the subway system is extensive and good value
    The hop on / hop off buses are a great way to get.to the major sites..have a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

You can buy discounted tickets from a booth on time square. Well worth the queueing..a great night out. Also worth checking out live music gigs on in the city at the time of your visit. You can see.some great acts in smaller venues for reasonable prices. Its not a cheap city to visit but my God it's worth it..
    No place like it.
    I am envious! Also subway is not that complicated. You can get a map of lines before you go.. if your hotel is near a particular line just check what stops are along the route and work it out...or ask are hotel which is best line.to get.you to x...generally the receptionists / concierge at the main hotels are very knowledgeable and the subway system is extensive and good value
    The hop on / hop off buses are a great way to get.to the major sites..have a ball.

Just prepare for the begging bucket after a show on broadway...we saw aladdin and as the cast were taking the applause, one of the casts starts talking about AIDS and how its our duty to funds this charity...we paid over €300 for the tickets...please f*** off

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

OP, not really advice but ... Try to watch a few movies set in New York in advance of the trip, it makes wandering the streets a bit more exciting.

New York has tonnes of things to see and do, trip to the Guggenheim museum (watch night at the museum comedy beforehand)

Book a trip to the crown in the statue of liberty (needs to be booked well in advance, be careful of name spellings they need to be 100% correct or no entry), personally I enjoy doing helicopter rides over cities, you can do this in New York too and fly around the statue of liberty...great to get a different view of the city

Ground zero is another place to experience 20tj anniversary coming up soon, a carriage ride in Central park is romantic .... New York has everything,

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Coz

I highly recommend taking the LIRR from JFK.

That sensation when you come up the escalator in Penn Station and Manhattan smacks you in the face is incomparable!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Great thread I'm starting to plan for 40th next year. It's in April but thinking to book for may instead weather might be a bit warmer. Fo you think may would be a good month for New York? Regarding hotels I have no idea where to start! I will try for the crown tickets for may though. Thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You can buy discounted tickets from a booth on time square.

There's also another booth at South Street Seaport where we found the queues to be a lot shorter than in Times Square.

Only other tip I have is that if you don't have one already, get a Revolut card. Used one in the States last year and it was so handy, you can just top it up occasionally on the app, and you get a better exchange rate than your bank will give you on your credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

$10 seems a bit expensive for drinks. I was there last Feb, and while some places charged between 8-9 dollars you could get them cheaper elsewhere. Most places have a happy hour up to 8pm so your talking 5-6 dollars plus tip.

Tipping is a massive thing there and us Europeans often forget or get confused by it. At least a dollar per drink, and I think its about 15-20% on meals.

The best way to see Manhattan is to walk (weather permitting). I walked up and down every avenue. Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge is amazing (should be renamed The Selfie Bridge) and into Brooklyn Heights for a coffee or bite to eat and back over the bridge is well recommended.

If you are going to do the Empire State and Freedom Tower etc, arrive early in the morning to avoid the large queues.

All the bars, restaurants etc in or around Times Square are overpriced but if you venture further afield you will find places more reasonable.

Central Park is a lovely walk even in winter. Its surreal to see the huge sky scrapers peering into the park.

I avoided the subway, largely because I can't understand it and because you can see nothing. Not entirely sure how safe they are either.

Shopping, you can get a bus from Grand Central station to Jersey Gardens Outlets. Its about 30mins in the bus depending on time of the day. You could spend hours there. If that's not your thing then Macys is certainly worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

+1 on Jersey Gardens if your planning on shopping. I had my eyes on getting a decent rain jacket for myself, and came out with just that at half-price, and pretty much a new wardrobe of my favourite brands :D

The CityPass (six attractions) and C3 pass are great value for money. We got the C3 and took in Ellis Island, Top of the Rock and the Met over three different days. Top of the Rock is perhaps the best city view I have ever seen and some of the potential photo ops are breathtaking. Drinks can be dear, but if you research happy hours in your area, it works out a good bit cheaper (although I didn't drink too much on my recent visit).

Its such a vast city though that you can easily spend a day or two just walking around without spending a cent. Times Square at night is incredible though very crowded, and Central Park is easy to spend the day in. I found Greenwich Village serene as it is essentially a town within NYC and its hard to legislate that your in the concrete jungle given its an easier way of life there somehow.

One thing I will advice about. Revolut is the handiest way of managing cash when abroad. You top up as you go and your balance is displayed on your app. I would highly recommend it. However, be prepared for your balance to magically "disappear" a couple of days after paying a restaurant fare- the premises settle their tips a couple of days later so the money is taken without any notification. Don't leave yourself short.

EDIT: The only complicated thing I found about the subway is the fact that some stations are located on different lines (I think Chambers St. near where I was saying was one). And each station could be a few blocks away on the one street. Happened to me around Greenwich Village actually. So make sure to read the sign on the entrance down to the station that tell you what line is served so as not to go wrong.

+1 on Jersey Gardens if your planning on shopping. I had my eyes on getting a decent rain jacket for myself, and came out with just that at half-price, and pretty much a new wardrobe of my favourite brands :D

The CityPass (six attractions) and C3 pass are great value for money. We got the C3 and took in Ellis Island, Top of the Rock and the Met over three different days. Top of the Rock is perhaps the best city view I have ever seen and some of the potential photo ops are breathtaking. Drinks can be dear, but if you research happy hours in your area, it works out a good bit cheaper (although I didn't drink too much on my recent visit).

Its such a vast city though that you can easily spend a day or two just walking around without spending a cent. Times Square at night is incredible though very crowded, and Central Park is easy to spend the day in. I found Greenwich Village serene as it is essentially a town within NYC and its hard to legislate that your in the concrete jungle given its an easier way of life there somehow.

One thing I will advice about. Revolut is the handiest way of managing cash when abroad. You top up as you go and your balance is displayed on your app. I would highly recommend it. However, be prepared for your balance to magically "disappear" a couple of days after paying a restaurant fare- the premises settle their tips a couple of days later so the money is taken without any notification. Don't leave yourself short.

EDIT: The only complicated thing I found about the subway is the fact that some stations are located on different lines (I think Chambers St. near where I was saying was one). And each station could be a few blocks away on the one street. Happened to me around Greenwich Village actually. So make sure to read the sign on the entrance down to the station that tell you what line is served so as not to go wrong.

hoping to avoid the whole shopping experience!! my wife might have other ideas though....

• Advertisement

Any recommendations on hotels folks? Will be first time. Just wanted to add, should i consider hotels other than midtown manhatten? I read this below post and just got me thinking, maybe hotels could be a bit cheaper outside manhattan.

I think you will enjoy staying in north Brooklyn more. It will be more fun to end up there at night.

While many of the most famous tourist sights are in Midtown Manhattan, it's just not that pleasant of an area to hang out in otherwise. Depending on where exactly in Brooklyn you are looking, it's an easy train ride and very safe.

zweton wrote:
    Any recommendations on hotels folks? Will be first time. Just wanted to add, should i consider hotels other than midtown manhatten? I read this below post and just got me thinking, maybe hotels could be a bit cheaper outside manhattan.

There's a Days Hotel in Long Island City. Hotel rooms twice the square footage for half the price.

Subway stop 5 mins walk away that goes to Grand Central and that journey is quicker than if you were travelling from Chelsea.

If you're doing a long stay (over 10 days) special rates kick in at East Gate Towers in Murrayhill. They are serviced apartments. Honeymooned there.

Coz wrote: »
    If you're doing a long stay (over 10 days) special rates kick in at East Gate Towers in Murrayhill. They are serviced apartments. Honeymooned there.

According to Google Maps its closed down?

I've stayed in Pod 39 just up the road from it. Its usually reasonably priced but probably geared more towards solo traveller or a couple who don't mind small compact rooms. They are clean and do the trick and if you are not fussy about having a huge room.

23754237.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Once you know whether you're going uptown or downtown you're sorted.

Same if you're walking you'll only go 1 block in the wrong direction before you realise.

Take the Staten island ferry around sundown. (it's free)
    Then get it back to Manhattan, and you'll see the city lighting up

py2006 wrote:
    According to Google Maps its closed down?

Sorry it rebranded as an Oakwood property.

Sure I still ask for Marathon Bars and Opal Fruits!!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭knockoutned

If flying to Terminal 5 (Aer Lingus) you are best getting either an Uber or pre booking a car (Carmel etc.) from JFK to UES. Yellow taxis cannot pull up outside the baggage area, so you have to walk a good 10-15 minutes, going up and down lifts or escalators to get a cab.

Yes, you can get the subway and/or LIRR, however, the Q doesn’t connect with the E / A or Penn station, so you will end up walking a couple of blocks to transfer. Not worth the hassle after a 7 hour plus flight.

Taxis typically cross the RFK bridge heading to the UES, so you’ll get a good few downtown of the city on your way in.

Beer will cost $8 in most bars, plus a dollar tip. If you plan to stay in the bar for a bit, sit at the bar and get talking to the barman. Normally after your 3rd or 4th beer, depending how busy the place is and the barman, the bar man will “buy back” you a drink.

There are some good Irish bars on the UES. One of my favorites is the Trinity Pub. Small bar on 84th between 2nd and 3rd.

Regarding midtown, most of the attractions are not located there, so no there is no reason to stay there. In my opinion, no one should stay there as it is a kip! You are better trying to stay where the locals live, where possible. Although LIC is close, there is actually nothing there locally, so you will be commuting (although a short journey) in and out of Manhattan the whole time.

If you are going to stay out in Brooklyn / Queens, make sure you are near a subway (except the G), otherwise you'll just spend your whole time commuting between walking / bus and getting a subway.

Any suggestions for brooklyn/queens hotels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

https://www.newyorkfed.org/aboutthefed/visiting.html

The gold reserve, it’s brilliant and free, but very hard to get tickets.
    Tickets available 30 days in advance, get booked out in minutes.

I did it this year, really great .

Also,
    https://www.tenement.org/
    Tenement museum, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Any recommendations for pre-booked airport transfer to manhattan? 5 of us and luggage - its the kids first time (all over 21!) so would like to book something. Have looked at a few companies but just thought someone might have a recommendation.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Dovies wrote: »
    Any recommendations for pre-booked airport transfer to manhattan? 5 of us and luggage - its the kids first time (all over 21!) so would like to book something. Have looked at a few companies but just thought someone might have a recommendation.
    Thanks

I've used these guys a few times. As a solo traveller it worked out far cheaper for me than getting a taxi. They are shared 10 seater buses so you may have to stop at one or two other hotels before getting to yours.

Advertisement