Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-08-2018, 00:31   #31
LennoxR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek View Post
Thanks for this one, must give it a go soon

I made the same discovery this year - a truly stunning place! It's included it in this year's Weevil ride https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...5&postcount=60 and I think its one of its highlights

So you have... That route looks very interesting, but although I do a lot of gravel riding, I think that's a bit too far for me in one go! (on the road, yes but on gravel I think the most I've ever done would be 7--80). Fair play to you though.

Last edited by LennoxR; 21-08-2018 at 00:37.
Advertisement
21-08-2018, 07:46   #32
Alek

Ah c'mon, join us, you can bail out at some point in the worst case! I almost did it myself the last time
21-08-2018, 08:33   #33
rollingscone

Thanks for those links LennoxR!
Thanks from:
21-08-2018, 08:41   #34
LennoxR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek View Post
Ah c'mon, join us, you can bail out at some point in the worst case! I almost did it myself the last time

I'll think about it! Thanks for the invite anyway.
Thanks from:
21-08-2018, 20:40   #35
ford2600

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Bhál View Post
thanks very much - I look forward to giving that one about Clonmel a go.
Harvesting means a change at bottom of Ticincor; the new section is even nicer if somewhat steep.

I'll post up revised route in a week or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180821_195233.jpg (1.79 MB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20180821_193746.jpg (2.15 MB, 47 views)

Last edited by ford2600; 21-08-2018 at 21:04.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 09:57   #36
smacl

@LennoxR, thanks for the routes, I've done most of them in bits and pieces though found myself walking on the section above Ballinscorney (starting here) and ended up coming out on Bridge road (after humping the bike over a number of locked gates) trying the Glencullen / Glencree section of the Wicklow way. I do variations of the Masseys / Hellfire as a regular lunch-time spin and a few loops of the reservoir as the lazy short option. I've tried to connect the trail that starts here with the Military road here twice now and bailed on both occasions, quite literally bogged down even when walking. While dead ends, both also make for nice short spins. While mostly back roads with a few gravel sections, starting at Red Lane there's a nice route to the Vale of Clara with some decent gravelly options, though the climb up from Clara bridge always kills me.
Thanks from:
22-08-2018, 14:47   #37
LennoxR

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacl View Post
@LennoxR, thanks for the routes, I've done most of them in bits and pieces though found myself walking on the section above Ballinscorney (starting here) and ended up coming out on Bridge road (after humping the bike over a number of locked gates) trying the Glencullen / Glencree section of the Wicklow way. I do variations of the Masseys / Hellfire as a regular lunch-time spin and a few loops of the reservoir as the lazy short option. I've tried to connect the trail that starts here with the Military road here twice now and bailed on both occasions, quite literally bogged down even when walking. While dead ends, both also make for nice short spins. While mostly back roads with a few gravel sections, starting at Red Lane there's a nice route to the Vale of Clara with some decent gravelly options, though the climb up from Clara bridge always kills me.

My bike has very low gears so haven't had to walk on the Ballinascorney logging road, thankfully. Tough climb though.

Re Glencullen/Prince William's Seat, what you need to do there, if you want to end up on Glencree road rather than Bridge Road/Devil's Elbow, is to take a right at the southern end of the loop of the fire road, climb over the gate and you will descend to Glencree Road via the Pet's cemetery.

You will come out here onto a gravel road that comes down to Glencree road. Note: the gate is usually locked though. Emerge onto Glencree Road here.
Thanks from:
23-08-2018, 07:45   #38
smacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennoxR View Post
My bike has very low gears so haven't had to walk on the Ballinascorney logging road, thankfully.
My bike has plenty of low gears but the engine is a bit old and knackered and prone to seize in such conditions
Thanks from:
10-09-2018, 11:58   #39
ford2600

https://www.cxmagazine.com/cheap-gra...es-60s-70s-80s

One way of getting a cheap all road bike

I love this bit taken from here; when I think I'm a contrary cnut I read some yacf to convince myself I'm most amenable
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?t...een#msg2320225

"The Marin County hippies were very late to the party - mixed terrain cycling is as old as cycling itself, given what many roads were like at the start of the 20th century."

[quote author=Wikinaccurate]Club riding in early 1900s Europe often included mixed terrain (called rough stuff or pass storming) as an integral part of typical routes. Early recreational cyclists would extend their biking range to include off-road cycling. "Evidence of how much rough stuff was viewed as an integral part of the experience for the touring cyclist can be found in the format of the BCTC (British Cycle Tourist Competition). Run by the CTC and inaugurated in 1952 until the late 1980s its aim was to find Britain's best tourist. Rough stuff riding was a key element and the organizers often went to great lengths to find awkward tracks, fords, etc. that would test a rider's skill."

By the 1950s in Europe, bike clubs were formed specifically around mixed terrain and off-road touring. In Great Britain, a club called Rough Stuff Fellowship was formed around mixed terrain and off-road touring. "The history of the RSF goes way back to its foundation in 1955, long before anyone had ever heard of Marin County. It was formed by cyclists who wanted to get away from roads and cycle on tracks, and byways." The Rough Stuff Fellowship is still an active club today. France also had a mixed terrain club called Velo Cross Club Parisien formed between 1951 and 1956. Not content with cyclo-cross racing of the day, around twenty French cyclists modified their 650-b bikes for mixed and off-road travel.[/quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_...ouring#History
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2018, 12:40   #40
smacl

Couldn't see myself getting far on loose gravel hills with those big chainrings up front. Currently repurposing my old hack as a skinflint MTB and really enjoying regular albeit short spins around Masseys, the Hellfire and Cruagh. The CX is mostly ok for this stuff too, but I don't have the confidence on it for handling heavily rooted bits, particularly clipped in. That said, it is orders of magnitude nicer on the road so will remain the main bike for the foreseeable future.

Now if we could just organise an Irish version of L'Eroica, full Irish to start, pints of stout at the stops, high nellys and flat caps
(2) thanks from:
10-09-2018, 14:14   #41
Alek

Quote:
The CX is mostly ok for this stuff too, but I don't have the confidence on it for handling heavily rooted bits,
Two rides in on the new Genesis Vagabond with 2.25 tyres and I have to admit the difference is massive. Confidence offroad +3 only due to the tyre volume/traction....
10-09-2018, 14:28   #42
clod71

Hey @ford thanks for all that...
Do you think those are viable route to ride with a steel CX gate like a Surly Cross Check built with cantis and clinchers?
I would have thought it would be ok, but since you highly recommended tubeless and discs, now I wonder...
10-09-2018, 17:00   #43
ford2600

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod71 View Post
Hey @ford thanks for all that...
Do you think those are viable route to ride with a steel CX gate like a Surly Cross Check built with cantis and clinchers?
I would have thought it would be ok, but since you highly recommended tubeless and discs, now I wonder...
Clinchers; I try a few and even with wide rims and 35mm tyres I couldn't find a pressure that gave me grip and avoided pinch flats. In about 6 months of 2/times per week riding but only a couple of k km riding I got more punctures than previous 5 years cycling.
If its very dry you should be able to ride at pressure that avoids pinch flats but that horse may have bolted for this year!

Cantis: I have cantis myself but my mtb has discs. Where I ride is lumpy as fcuk and cantis have two big disadvantages; performance and they are a complete pain to keep well set up. Not a deal breaker if you are aware of the performance short comings and are prepared to set them up, again and again!
12-09-2018, 09:18   #44
clod71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2600 View Post
Clinchers; I try a few and even with wide rims and 35mm tyres I couldn't find a pressure that gave me grip and avoided pinch flats. In about 6 months of 2/times per week riding but only a couple of k km riding I got more punctures than previous 5 years cycling.
If its very dry you should be able to ride at pressure that avoids pinch flats but that horse may have bolted for this year!

Cantis: I have cantis myself but my mtb has discs. Where I ride is lumpy as fcuk and cantis have two big disadvantages; performance and they are a complete pain to keep well set up. Not a deal breaker if you are aware of the performance short comings and are prepared to set them up, again and again!
well, I need a new adventure bike then...
05-12-2018, 07:08   #45
a148pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingscone View Post

Been exploring the back road up Three Rock and the route Alek mapped out from Masseys wood to Prince William's Seat lately and would love to do more.
Anyone got a link to this route I'd like to try it? Know it on foot but if there's an off road alternative that's gravel bike friendly all the better

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion