Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

. A ton of potentially crap coal from whoever is not much good to you - and I have been down that road before :(

p.s. I don't think oil is any less harmful for environment and may even be worse...

I see your point but this thread is for coal not oil !! and it's not "potentially crap coal" as loads of us on here got this last winter and were quite happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

It would be better if the courier offered better value for bigger quantities ! Any alternatives ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

bmm wrote: »
    It would be better if the courier offered better value for bigger quantities ! Any alternatives ?

Try a different courier company maybe might get a cheaper rate

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

Has anybody ordered off coaldirectireland.ie,based in Derry so not far from me so might work out cheaper for me,not sure what it would be if your far away though

tenreds wrote: »
    Has anybody ordered off coaldirectireland.ie,based in Derry so not far from me so might work out cheaper for me,not sure what it would be if your far away though

website does not seem to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

bmm wrote: »
    website does not seem to exist.

Try .com

http://coaldirectireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

mikeecho wrote: »

They seem expensive almost twice the price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Not coal... but where do you all get logs for stoves? Please point me to a thread or forum on that. Looking to source a supplier as we are getting a stove installed this week. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Connrang

Evening all,
    Having watched this thread for sometime I felt that buying the coal from the Coal Warehouse (its on FB).
    Called on Weds last to the couriers, they took their fee (61ish) then got a call from the Coal Warehouse who took my order, confirmed all to me and told me delivery would be friday.
    Friday morning got a call from the driver who arrived 10 mins later, coal was 25 bags (40kg) on a pallett covered in black clingfilm.
    Could not be easier, I reckon my saving was €200. I burn the Ovoids which burn great in the stove.
    It could not be easier !:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Not coal... but where do you all get logs for stoves? Please point me to a thread or forum on that. Looking to source a supplier as we are getting a stove installed this week. Thanks.

Try HERE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Looking to order this week but just checking, what size are the pallets. Standard square or longer rectangle type ?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

marvsins wrote:
    Looking to order this week but just checking, what size are the pallets. Standard square or longer rectangle type ?

Standard rectangular pallet 900mm x 1200mm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

eddiem74 wrote: »

Try Donedeal. Type in "Firewood" in the search panel on the Home Page.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Got a good load of logs last week, 200 cheaper than I paid last year. Nobody's buying now, so get in quick for a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Seems like some people aren't too happy with it. Convenient how they've lumped it in under an article title indicating smuggling.....
    John notes: “That’s too tempting for too many. Not alone does the Irish Exchequer lose the tax income, but the legitimate trade can no longer compete. However, that’s only part of the problem. There’s now an active online forum which explains how consumers can ring a courier company based in Dublin and arrange collection of coal from a coal warehouse in Co.Tyrone. Customers are also encouraged to ‘like’ the Facebook page, and it now has 7,726 likes. The problem is that many consumers are genuinely unaware that, if they do not personally accompany solid fuel for their own domestic use across the border, they cannot import it without paying Carbon Tax.”
    http://hardwareassociation.ie/fuel-smuggling-presents-serious-threat-to-hardware-stores/

Obviously the chances of something like what he said being enforced is next to nothing but in my limited knowledge I can't even see how he is right with the free movement of people and goods within the EU aswell as the fact he seems to indicate(through omission) that bringing it back yourself would be legal but getting a courier to do it makes it liable to pay a tax.

I'll be looking at ordering next week anyways :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I posted about it last year. People didn't want to know yet some are happy to bash their local fuel merchants for ripping them off or whatever.
    Aenaes wrote: »
    It seems that if an individual is purchasing fuel from another State, they need to be accompanying the fuel into the State.

Taken from 'Guidance Note on Solid Fuel Carbon Tax" on revenue.ie: "A tax liability does not arise where an individual personally purchases and brings into the State solid fuel from a supplier in another Member State, provided the fuel is for their own private use and they accompany the fuel into the State."

I wonder will ACE get into any difficulty for delivering the fuel.

Oh no no this again, runnnnnnnnnnn :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dav32cs wrote: »
    Seems like some people aren't too happy with it. Convenient how they've lumped it in under an article title indicating smuggling.....

http://hardwareassociation.ie/fuel-smuggling-presents-serious-threat-to-hardware-stores/

Obviously the chances of something like what he said being enforced is next to nothing but in my limited knowledge I can't even see how he is right with the free movement of people and goods within the EU aswell as the fact he seems to indicate(through omission) that bringing it back yourself would be legal but getting a courier to do it makes it liable to pay a tax.

I'll be looking at ordering next week anyways :p

Remember all the bitching and moaning a few years ago when the Euro was on par with the Pound and half the Republic went North?

You'd swear we were importing 40 foot containers of coal.It's for my personal use so if I need somebody to deliver it then so what.The Green Party fecked things up with their policies and carbon taxes-where are they now? Yet still those taxes were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Is the black diamond coal they sell suitable for a stanley erin stove? It's described as semi-smokeless. I don't know much about coal but want to get a ton as a gift for someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Is the black diamond coal they sell suitable for a stanley erin stove? It's described as semi-smokeless. I don't know much about coal but want to get a ton as a gift for someone.

The 'semismokeless' is just a mixture of coal and smokeless ovoids (a bit like the arigna rejects is a mixture of whatever was left in the bottom of the heaps) as far as I can tell from their photos. If there is no petcoke in it it would be ok for an Erin but bituminous coal is banned in Sligo for smog reasons so if your someone is in Sligo they shouldn't be burning it. I would definitely ask them whether it may contain any petcoke as that is what ruins stoves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

The 'semismokeless' is just a mixture of coal and smokeless ovoids (a bit like the arigna rejects is a mixture of whatever was left in the bottom of the heaps) as far as I can tell from their photos. If there is no petcoke in it it would be ok for an Erin but bituminous coal is banned in Sligo for smog reasons so if your someone is in Sligo they shouldn't be burning it. I would definitely ask them whether it may contain any petcoke as that is what ruins stoves.

Thanks for the reply. I assume the ban is for Sligo town? this person lives in a very rural part of South Sligo. What would the best option here be for the erin stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Support local coal merchants. I have done for 30 years, the last 4 of which we have been getting cosyglo gems a smokeless coal for an insert stove, very pricey but at least it keeps the glass clean all the time, which is a big plus.

Recently i noticed a difference in the weight of the bags when i empty them, i think i always noticed it to be honest, but this time i decided to weigh each bag, what a shock anywhere from 36kg to 39 kg very rarely one of 40kg. it worked out that for every 15 bags i paid for i only got the weight equivalent of 14. i live in north cork and it is a bord na mona product. i think i will be trying the coalwarehouse up north they seem very good on price and service. does anyone know what product is as near to cosyglo gems as is possible, hopefully their weight will be a 40kg bag.

cranefly wrote: »
    does anyone know what product is as near to cosyglo gems as is possible, hopefully their weight will be a 40kg bag.

Ovoids probably ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I decided to take the plunge and ordered a mixed pallet of ovoids and premium yesterday morning and my order was delivered this afternoon - fantastic service!

Anyone experience this with the 40kg Yellow Bag Polish Coal ??
    I bought 25 bags of the premium coal last winter from the NI supplier and I found it burned quite well but.....

There was a lot of dust and very small coal pieces in the bottoms of the bags

Some of the coal lumps were huge

Sometimes when the coal went on I had lots of spitting out onto the floor, not all bags were like this and the coal was dry do don't know why it happened, you might not even hear it spitting, I'd just turn around and lo behold bits of coal all over the floor, found this to occur only after putting coal onto a hot fire and wouldn't last long but would have to use a fire guard when this happened, anyone else experience any of the above things with this premium coal ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone experience this with the 40kg Yellow Bag Polish Coal ??

Yes I had that problem too.I was meant to receive a ton of the ovoids but due to a mistake on their part I got a mix of ovoids and the polish.
    To be honest they were very quick to give me a refund and I kept it all,but I will be sticking to the ovoids this winter as there was just too much dust out of the polish!!!
    What I do is empty the bags out on the ground and fill old spud bags,then ya just lump the whole lot into the stove,no dust inside the house:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Redriddick wrote: »
    Yes I had that problem too.I was meant to receive a ton of the ovoids but due to a mistake on their part I got a mix of ovoids and the polish.
    To be honest they were very quick to give me a refund and I kept it all,but I will be sticking to the ovoids this winter as there was just too much dust out of the polish!!!
    What I do is empty the bags out on the ground and fill old spud bags,then ya just lump the whole lot into the stove,no dust inside the house:D:D:D:D
    Redriddick. How was your experience with the ovoids? Thanks. I usually used Ecobrite and more recently Phurnacite in my stove and I am thinlking of ordering a tonne of ovoids.

Bif wrote: »
    Redriddick. How was your experience with the ovoids? Thanks. I usually used Ecobrite and more recently Phurnacite in my stove and I am thinlking of ordering a tonne of ovoids.

Hi Bif,

I found them fine,I also use ecobrite from time to time and used to buy it by the pallet.
    I would definetly say the ovoids are as good.
    There is a bit of a mix in the bag ie:big ovoids and small but I found it fine to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Redriddick wrote: »
    Hi Bif,

I found them fine,I also use ecobrite from time to time and used to buy it by the pallet.
    I would definetly say the ovoids are as good.
    There is a bit of a mix in the bag ie:big ovoids and small but I found it fine to be honest.
    Thanks Redriddick. I found the Phurnacite to be very good and probably would put it ahead of Ecobrite but I am going to try the oviods for this winter. Really appreciate the help!

• Advertisement

No bother

Advertisement