Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thom's lookup (Shane?)

Options
  • 23-04-2012 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

An ancestor of Herself gave "89 Upper Rathmines" as his new address in 1879; we presume that it is 89 Upper Rathmines Road. The building there today is Zen, a Chinese restaurant, and it might be of that era. No way could Herself's ancestor have afforded such an impressive house.

It would be interesting to know what (or who) was there in 1879 or at some date shortly after. Herself and I would be grateful if somebody could do a Thom's lookup and report.

[Of course, street numbering might have changed in the interim. Just in case it shows up, the name of the individual in whom she is interested is Patrick Salts.]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I'm pretty sure the numbering changed at some stage.. I have some notes on this somewhere...I'll see if I can find them..

Thom's 1879 lists
    Rathmines Road - the section between the canal and about Castlewood Ave.
    Rathmines Upper, Dodder Road with no numbers
    Rathmines - which looks to be the section of road with the post office and past Tranquilla Convent

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Thanks Shane.

This is consistent with the 25" O/S map: what we now know as Upper Rathmines Road includes Rathmines and Rathmines Upper. The numbering system must have changed when the two addresses became one.

So no Chinese meal on our next visit to Dublin.

Whether or not Patrick Salts ever actually took up residence in Rathmines, he was not there in 1884. Google led me to this nugget, which makes sense of a lot of other bits and pieces that Herself had accumulated, but could not conclusively tie to her great-great-grandfather.

still checking on the numbering ... not sure what's going on yet...

1879 and 1894 both show number 89 south of where it is now, and on the west side of the road on the block between Frankfort and Maxwell.

In the same listings the building opposite Summerville place where that restaurant is now is no. 116 and listed as Rathmines Prayer Meeting House. It seems to be shown on the c1890 OSI map as 'Pres. Misn. House'.

In 1879 number 89 is listed as James Brennan esq. and in 1894 Mr. Laurence Donegan.

I had a quick compare with a 1958 directory and some the numbers for that section of road look to be the same - i.e. Maxwell Rd is between 105 and 106, but interestingly numbers 89-91 is now Rathmines Presbyterian Mission Hall and second building north of the York Rd. junction - which fits that restaurant location !

Shane

shanew wrote: »
    still checking on the numbering ... not sure what's going on yet...

1879 and 1894 both show number 89 south of where it is now, and on the west side of the road on the block between Frankfort and Maxwell.
    Google street view shows that most of that stretch has been converted into commercial use. I can't judge if the present buildings were likely to have been there in 1879. If they were, they look a little bit more salubrious than a retired soldier might manage (his discharge record gave that as his intended address).
    In 1879 number 89 is listed as James Brennan esq. and in 1894 Mr. Laurence Donegan.
    Not names that we can link to Patrick Salts.

Thanks for the endeavours, Shane. I hope that you get some enjoyment out of things like this - otherwise I would feel very guilty about imposing on you.

Herself adds her thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the endeavours, Shane. I hope that you get some enjoyment out of things like this - otherwise I would feel very guilty about imposing on you.

no problem - it's great to get to actually use the directories rather than having just sitting on a shelf gathering dust!

Stumble across all sorts in interesting tangents when searching them..

S.

Advertisement